U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 29,493 times
Default Autism

Does anyone know about the schools/programs for children on the Autism Spectrum?:confused, any info greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 01:35 PM

171 posts, read 713,211 times
I would suggest calling the Boise school district and finding out what they offer (our whatever district you are considering)

Old 11-07-2006, 07:22 PM

11 posts, read 46,743 times
I offered to volunteer for two Autism outfits in Boise, they haven't called back. I was willing to work for free at the Autism walk with my two ******* boys and never was gotten back to. I talked to one Autism agency who said if you live in a small town like Idaho City...the services are almost non'existant. My best friend wanted for me to take her son if something happened to her and her husband, but she is an animal getting services to help her son, and I told her it probably wouldn't be the best place for him. Look up Autism and Boise, don't get much. This is really how Idaho is 10 years behind. Pray for the children....
Love any feedback...
LeeAnn

Old 11-08-2006, 07:21 AM

218 posts, read 1,062,839 times
I don't know of any school districts in Idaho that have programs specifically for the specialized needs in education, safety, and personal comforts of those students with Autism, but that doesn't mean they're not out there!

Some larger city school districts have separate facilities for the most severe special needs students, but most have general cross-catagorical special needs programs - often hard on Autistics to adjust well to.

Maybe a peek at this link will lead you somewhere helpful:
www.myspace.com/autismgroup

My best wishes & prayers,
Idaho

Old 12-09-2006, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 29,493 times
Glad to report Nampa School DIstrict #131. especially Willow Creek Elementary, is an excellent school for my son. Unlike his last school in Cali, where they completely tried to seperate from all the other kids, here he intregated as much as possible, the school has a nice resource room and the teachers seem sincere in their care for the childrens education.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 8,367 times
Default middle schools in north jersey for autistics

My son is going to be 11 years this year, he is autistic, we are looking for agood school in north jersey, bergen or passaic county

Old 02-15-2007, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 8,367 times
yes in pompton lakes there is a nice school very good,this is passaic county, this in new jersey

Old 02-15-2007, 08:37 PM

66 posts, read 204,541 times
Idagirl--don't assume every part of Idaho is like Boise and that all Idaho children are in trouble based on your limited experiences.

My son Nate is in fifth grade, and one of his classmates (son of a good friend of mine) is autistic. B. has a full-time aide who attends class with him and he is fully integrated into the regular classroom, with one hour a day outside of it (this occurs during regular switch time). Our school has taken great care to keep him and Nate in the same class for three years now. B.'s mother didn't ask for this, but she's pleased because (in her words) Nate treats B. like he's any other kid and it's good for him. Apparently, the school staff came to the same conclusion on their own.

I don't know as much about autism as I would need to if it were my son. But from what I can see and what my friend has said, B. is getting what he needs without the need for constant vigilance and stubbornness from her.

What I find backward is the attitude that Idaho is backward. It's also boring. The attitude, not the state.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:58 PM

7 posts, read 22,846 times
From what I know ( Autistic grandsons experience ) Idaho schools are far from able to deal constructively with the Autistic in the classroom. If you want your child --baby sat, simply filling a seat ,-- are willing to settle for that, then Public School is the place for him. These kids require TRAINED teachers, and aids if progress is to be made. It takes a special person to work with these kids--- one who knows what they are doing--- and has more of an interest than just drawing that paycheck at the end of the month.
You can have the most sincere intrest as a teacher but if you don't have the background and training, experience -- you are doing these children a disservice. Unfortunately, whether in the schools or private sector --- the needed schools are not out there, whether it be Idaho or other states, for the most part.
Parents must make the utmost effort to avail their child of what experts nationwide have to offer in the way of training ----- unfortunately our country has not yet provided any structured guidence or financial help to parents and our Autistic children are paying the price.
PJ

Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 AM

8 posts, read 26,829 times
I work in the Mental Health field and there are programs out there. Talk to the schools about IBI therapy, and DDA services. It is a Medicaid based program however because most health insurance does not cover it there is funding available through the school for this service, or Health and Welfare I am not sure quite how it works yet. I am actually working on starting a DDA(Developmental Disabilities agency) services program at my company as we speak and should be up and running by June 07. I do not know all the rules a specifications at this moment but I do know funding is available regardless of your income (though the school, and Health and Welfare).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho