Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 PM

156 posts, read 403,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevpu1967 View Post
Did you answer: "Because you can't open carry without one."? Otherwise, it is just an empty holster and I'm not really sure there is a law against carrying an empty holster, except maybe in CA.

Hahaha
"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ................. because wearing an empty holster would just be silly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:26 PM

81 posts, read 124,752 times
from the way it sounds it is pretty similar to Arizona when it comes to carry laws. Will be looking into it more for sure once it gets closer to moving up that way.

Thank you to everyone that replied.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:37 PM

285 posts, read 540,778 times
Didn't AZ do away with the need for a CCW? Up here we have 2 classes of CCW. The regular one where no range firing was required and the new enhanced CCW (requires class and range firing) which is recognized for reciprocity by about 41 states; Keeps changing.

ID recognizes any other states CCW. Deputy Sheriff told me he expects everyone he stops is carrying since open and CCW carry are both legal. To me that means no sudden moves and keep my hands in view if stopped.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Since AZ was mentioned...at the dog park yesterday was a woman from AZ on some type of trip having to do with horses. She mentioned that in AZ, you don't know if anyone is packing or not, and that it is the reason that crime is not so bad as in other places where not so many people CC.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:18 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Since AZ was mentioned...at the dog park yesterday was a woman from AZ on some type of trip having to do with horses. She mentioned that in AZ, you don't know if anyone is packing or not, and that it is the reason that crime is not so bad as in other places where not so many people CC.
Anybody could be packing, legally or illegally.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:41 AM

81 posts, read 124,752 times
Az is a right to carry state no need for a ccw but the benefits of having it are that you take the class and can get a better understanding of the laws that go with carrying along with being allowed to carry in more places.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 AM

35 posts, read 45,167 times
Gun & Weapon Laws - Idaho.gov

This is a good resource for Idaho gun laws for visitors just to keep yourself legal. If you move here and do not have a concealed carry permit from the state you are moving from, Idaho is a "open carry" state till you get approved for your concealed carry permit which is easy to do here. I personally have done both. The only conversation I have had about openly carrying my gun one day was a lady asked me where I got my pretty grips. Maybe it's because I'm a girl no one cares but a armed society is a polite society.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:21 AM

551 posts, read 803,807 times
Thanks for the link. Looks like if you're ex military you don't have to take a class to qualify for a concealed permit but if you still want to take a qualified course where do they offer them in the CDA area?

If you're on your property I would guess concealed carry without a permit is OK since I could see wearing an exposed gun/holster would end up being concealed if you put a coat on working in the yard in cold weather?

Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBunny View Post
Gun & Weapon Laws - Idaho.gov

This is a good resource for Idaho gun laws for visitors just to keep yourself legal. If you move here and do not have a concealed carry permit from the state you are moving from, Idaho is a "open carry" state till you get approved for your concealed carry permit which is easy to do here. I personally have done both. The only conversation I have had about openly carrying my gun one day was a lady asked me where I got my pretty grips. Maybe it's because I'm a girl no one cares but a armed society is a polite society.
Interesting. Does that mean if a person moves to Idaho and becomes a legal resident, they do not have to obtain an Idaho permit if they have a permit from another state? (Until that current state's permit expires, anyway.)

Old 07-20-2014, 11:27 AM

35 posts, read 45,167 times
They allowed me to use my other state permit till my new Idaho permit came in but I also have residency still in the other state for my business and if I give it up, I would never get a permit in that state without residency. I'm a NRA pistol instructor so I didn't have to get certified by another instructor but my husband did till I get on the approved list for the department. When you go in CDA:
Kootenai County Sheriff Department
Also check with your local gun stores to see who is certified for the area. That will be your best resource.
On your property, that is covered under the Castle Doctrine....whole other subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho