Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:57 AM

551 posts, read 804,031 times

Advertisements

Don't want to spend too much and was considering either the laminate or vinyl snap together planks. The laminate looks better but the vinyl is probably more water resistant which might be important when you have pets and it rains/snows a significant amount. Would wet shoes or boots warp and ruin laminate over time?

I'm thinking of having carpet only in the bedrooms and these planks for the rest of the house other than a little tile by the entrances to the house. Anyone have any experience with either one of these materials? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
what kind of entrances and exits do you have? Mud room? Covered porch? So you have a spouse?

We have plank flooring in the utility room into which we enter in the winter. Have to wipe down a bit with the melted snow. In the front, covered porch allows for carpet in living room, though we cover with an entrance rug.

In future, I would like to put in hardwood for both entrances, though perhaps make the area just in front the door something else. Wife wants a higher end click flooring so she can get heat under the flooring. And she likes the carpet.

Have fun.

S.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:35 AM

The front door will have a covered porch and a bit of tiled area on the inside of the door. No mud room. No spouse but I will be pushing a transport wheelchair around inside the house. I want to limit the amount of carpet mostly because of pets.

Are your planks laminate and how are they holding up to moisture?

Old 07-11-2014, 12:12 PM

820 posts, read 1,739,915 times
Carpet is horrible. Only benefit of it is sound deadening. You can get really good click together, and it will hold up well, as long as you get something 10mm or thicker. You can also get some roll out vinyl that is high end and looks like wood, and has a great texture, and that will hold up the best. They are using it in commercial applications who want a high end look but durability.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Thanks Shaner for the great info.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
We did tile in all high traffic areas downstairs, and then carpeted all "sitting" rooms. The tile is so much easier to clean with pets (and our kids) coming in and out of the snow. You will find you will most likely go to a "shoes off in the house" policy, which I'd say 95% of people we know do here, including us. Otherwise you track snowy grime and mud everywhere.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:45 PM

Thanks Sage.

Yeah, no shoes in the house really makes a big difference. It's definitely the way to go if possible.

Tile is nice but the problem I found is that the grout between the tiles discolors over time and doesn't look very good. I tried some sealer on the grout in my house and it didn't seem to do much. That's why I'm leaning toward the vinyl planks.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:40 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Roll vinyl that's high grade is, in my opinion better and easier to clean than the planking, and the good stuff is very durable. a floor with no seams won't trap water. and the good stuff looks good, but printed wood on either still looks like printed wood, not the real thing. I always go for something that looks like rock or a very simply tile pattern. especially if the walls are woody.

But either comes in lots of different brands and quality grades. I'll bet there is little difference in cost between the good planks and the good rolled vinyl, so it's all in which you like the best.

I second no wall to wall carpet. That's nothing but a huge headache for the area where your home is. I would invest in some good trow carpets, and I would avoid ones made of wool or have a high wool content. Polyester is your friend when it comes to disinteresting all kinds of small bugs who can thrive on a wool diet.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:57 PM

That makes sense about the roll vinyl which won't have a lot of gaps like the planks. I wonder which is more difficult and more time consuming to install?

That's another thing about carpet I didn't think about - bugs like fleas making a home in it.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:15 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Shaner, carpet can work great depending on the situations and wants. We love it where it is.

Oldafretired, We put in a beveled laminate that feels good under care feet. Holding up extremely well. Mind you, I never let water sit on the flooring for more than a few seconds. Also, they were put in very well. However, while it is very nice, it is not one to feature.

With a wheelchair I would agree with Shaner and not go with carpet, but with a good click floor..

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho