Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 03:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,739 times

Advertisements

I just moved here to Caldwell, wife is originally from Boise. I have been living in Chicago for years and never had problems until i moved here.

So my question is, is there a place i can go buy a cow for a really cheap price for eating, not for pet or breeding or whatever you can do with a cow.

I was looking at the news paper and found prices to be as high as $2000 to $5000 for a cow !!! that's insane for a cow unless it sh!ts gold or something.

I use to have access to fresh meat back home(Chicago) but moving to Idaho with a wife who hardly eats any meat,i am on my own here.

My first time ever buying meat from winco was a disaster. I bought the meat(beef) the other night and tried to defrost it in the oven next morning and the entire house started smelling like a carcass!

I some what find Costco meat to be a little fresh but still not the same as i am spoiled by those kosher and halal places that sold such fresh meat in Chicago.

If anyone know any place where i can go get a whole or half cow which is butchered right in front of me,would love to know about such a place/farm. The cheaper the better.

I live in Caldwell but wouldn't mind traveling a bit for good meat. Also i am expecting the same good prices such as $400 to $800 for a half/whole Cow...Or am i expecting too much ?

Thanks
Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:15 AM

138 posts, read 269,886 times
Just to clarify: You don't wish to raise the cow? You just want to purchase one directly from a butcher

Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 11,408 times
Greenfield Custom Meats in Meridian. They have a Facebook page with their info in it. Great service and products.

https://www.facebook.com/GreenfieldCustomMeats

Old 07-23-2014, 11:40 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
what you saw advertised was probably the price of a registered purebred cow, or a pregnant cross-bred cow. These cattle would likely be 2-3 year-old mother cows that are purchased for herd cattle, not for slaughter.

As of today, the price of beef on the hoof is $4 per hundredweight for 150-300 lb. steer calves and trending $4-$5 dollars higher. That's $600 for the live calf. Larger calves are lower per pound, but heavier in weight, so it averages to around $4 per pound. The 60 day trend, if correct, means that by September, the same calf will be around $9 a pound.

Typically, come late fall, the prices drop a bit because that's when most cattle are sold, but expecting to buy half a beef this year from a custom butcher is going to run at least $900-$1100 after processing and wrapping.

Blame the high prices on the continuing deep drought that's plaguing all the major cattle producing states. Idaho is in mild drought. The drought is also affecting other beef producing nations like Australia and Venezuela. The demand for beef stays strong partly due to the Chinese, who are buying much more than ever before.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:50 AM

235 posts, read 375,507 times
In May we paid a local farmer $515 for a quarter beef and then paid the processor $164 for a total of $679 for 1/4 beef. Indeed that is up from previous years, but it's just the price right now.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,739 times
@DagnyT63

NO...Never! i can't eat something i raised even for a few days...silly but i just can't ! Not even chickens.

Well, Thank you guys for such awesome help...I guess i have to get over the raising prices at some point as everything goes up eventually.

Might just stick with Costco(cheap price) for a while...this is the only time i miss the city i was living. When it comes to food. But then i will get used to it so its all good.

Thank you again everyone

Old 07-23-2014, 12:54 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Good locally raised free range/organic meat is easy to find in the Boise area. Boise Co-op and Whole Foods and Albertsons sell local if you're not in the mood to purchase a half of cow
Head on down to the Saturday Farmers Market on 8th Street and 10th and Grove in downtown Boise for a large variety.

Here are a few websites to check out for local meat:

Idaho Grass Fed Beef - Pork - Poultry @ Homestead Natural

Eat Wild

Grass Fed Organic Beef from Alderspring Ranch in Idaho

Buy American Kobe Beef and Wagyu | Snake River Farms

Old 07-23-2014, 01:26 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii5hoe View Post
Greenfield Custom Meats in Meridian. They have a Facebook page with their info in it. Great service and products.

https://www.facebook.com/GreenfieldCustomMeats

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho