Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:54 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,430 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife & I are looking to relocate to Pocatello next summer. I'm starting a graduate program at ISU, and wanted to get some info about the area.

We actually did visit Pocatello in August 2006 for a few days and quite liked the area. The town is a little smaller than we imagined it might be, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. We stopped in while making a round-trip from Denver to Yellowstone.

My biggest concerns at this time are:

- affordable housing (looking to rent at first, but may want to buy a condo or house)
- health care: this is of particular interest, as my wife is a nurse, so any info from someone who works for the hospital system there would be greatly appreciated.
- traveling within the area: I will likely need to commute to the Site and IF and wonder how easy/difficult that might be during the winter time. Anyone on this thread who lives in Poky but works at the Site?

I'm sure I'll have other questions as I think more on it, but this at least gets the ball rolling.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 08:51 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Sure wish I could be of some help. Mtn.StatesResident might be able to be of help with the healthcare industry down in Pocatello. Most folks I know that commute to the Site live in IF. The drive in winter can be a bit dicey at times from either location.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the info, cleosmom. Hoping to hear from MSR, as they've posted a lot of helpful info in other threads.

I did think of another question re: ISU. Has anyone here ever lived in their graduate/family housing complex? Like other posts I've seen on this forum, I'm having a tough tie finding a lot of info regarding apt. rental. Any info appreciated!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 AM

210 posts, read 946,700 times
I know people who live in the grad/family housing, and who commute to the Site from Pocatello. I work at ISU and know many of the grad students. Do you know which housing complex you are looking at?

There are buses that run from Pocatello and to the site, which makes the commute easier depending on your shift/schedule, at least you can sleep/work on the commute. My neighbor is on a 4 days on/4 off at the Site with some others and I think they have a carpool. I can say there are quite a few people who commute to the site from Pocatello, but not as many as Idaho Falls or Blackfoot which are closer.

If you need some specific information, let me know and I'll ask around for you.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:21 PM

I guess I was wondering about the state of housing around ISU in general, though I guess the ones that ISU maintains that seem to fit our needs are McIntosh Manor & Ridge Crest.

I lived in graduate/family housing when I get my M.S. in Indiana, and the situation was a little less then desirable, but it seems pretty tough to find a place online, and we don't know if we'd be able to wait until we get there in August to start apt. hunting. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Ridge Crest is newer than McIntosh, and a little nicer. Ridge Crest tends to have families with 1-2 young kids. You will have a lot of close neighbors, which can be good or bad depending on what you want. Ridge Crest is the typical living areas down, bedrooms up apartments, and are fairly small. I can PM you the email address of someone who has lived in Ridge Crest if you want. (although it has been a few years since they lived there)

The closer to campus you want to be, the harder it can be to find housing. It can be kind of hard to find something online, so I understand about not wanting to wait until the last minute.

You might try Apartments in Pocatello | Find Pocatello Apartments and Apartment Rentals on BengalDens.com | BangleDens.com, BangleDins.com, BengalDins.com, BengleDins.com I'm not affiliated with them, they just seem to have a larger pool of rental listings. And keep an eye on the Idaho State Journal online (even though their website sucks) for idea of what prices are. If you ask me really nice, I may be able to check out a rental for you.

Out of curiosity, what grad program are you going into?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the info, twinprism.

I had come across BengalDens and the Idaho State Journal (which I wish had pictures) - our biggest problems so far is that we have pets, two cats. Most places listed seem to not want any pets, even indoor ones. Oh well...grumble. Also, thanks for the offer to scout out a place or two...will keep that card in case we need it!

I'm starting a doctoral program in nuclear engineering in August at ISU. I already have an M.S. in physics, but have mostly taught and done administrative stuff the past few years - no real science. Hoping this program, with its ties to industry and DOE, will get me back on a decent career path.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:42 AM

Okay let me know if you need more info. I work for the Physical Sciences including Physics, which has close ties to the nuclear engineering.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 PM

Anyone have an opinion (good, bad or indifferent) regarding the Pocatello Heights complex? They have 2BR apts. going for $595/mo. and townhomes going for $695/mo. Seems pretty close to the northwestern part of campus. Close to fraternity or sorority houses? Ambulance route? ANY info would be helpful!

Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 04:38 PM

It's on N. 15th, Pocatello Heights havs nice grounds. They seems like they are sorta small but I've never been inside, nor have I noticed who lives there.

It is about 3 long blocks from upper campus, which is not where the majority of departments and classes are, so it is a long walk from there to most classes, (including the engineering building is just over 1 mile from there) There are free buses that run from Holt Arena on upper campus though. Here's the route >> Gmaps Pedometer

It could be on or close to an ambulance route until the East Campus of Portneuf Medical Center closes (if the West Campus is ever finished). Many ambulances will come down or up Clark Street and turn South on 15th about 1 block from there, and sometime they will go right by there on 15th if coming from the North. The East Campus of the Portneuf hospital is a few blocks away.

There is a small locally owned grocery store (Nel's BiLo) right across the street from Pocatello Heights with a great meat dept. as they used to be butchers if you like that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho