Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,190 times

Advertisements

Moving to Hope, Idaho.....all the houses we looked at have small electric heaters, instead of furnace. Alot of Coal fired electric plants are going off line next year, rates across country to raise drastically, Idaho has some of the very lowest rates, I think because of the hydroplants. Are there rates going to rise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 09:19 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Not an expert, but I believe that the biggest hits to coal fired plants will be in the midwest to eastern states. And yes, rates will probably skyrocket in those areas.
But when I was looking for a house in ID, I noted a large number were either electric baseboard or electric forced air, and I bypassed everyone. Preferred to keep the heating system as gas forced air. (My new house does have an electric hot water heater, but that is not a large concern for me; single, and I only do laundry with cold or warm water.)

Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samluc View Post
Moving to Hope, Idaho.....all the houses we looked at have small electric heaters, instead of furnace. Alot of Coal fired electric plants are going off line next year, rates across country to raise drastically, Idaho has some of the very lowest rates, I think because of the hydroplants. Are there rates going to rise?
Some of those houses you looked at may have had wood or propane heat. Country homes may have large wood stoves that are capable of heating the entire home, and some of them use wood pellets instead of logs, as the pellets are more efficient fuel. Older country homes may use propane for heating and cooking.

Homes equipped with large wood stoves most often have an open design with doors only on the bedrooms and bathrooms. A wood stove is either damped down at night, and the electric baseboards or wall heaters can be set individually to comfortable temperatures.

For a while in the late 70s and into the 80s, electric heat enjoyed a brief surge of popularity, using the same rationale.

Natural gas heat has been the cheapest for the past 15 years or so in most parts of the state, but the gas prices are variable, and a lot of country homes don't have gas lines. Gas prices are supposed to go up this year after a long slide in price. Propane is also more expensive than it once was, mostly due to the costs of delivery.

Idaho winters are cold, sometimes very cold, for up to 9 months long. Heating is a major expense, and the electric wall heaters and baseboards allow flexibility in heating. Unused spaces can be left unheated with them.

A lot of homes are now being built with a super-insulation design, using 2x6 wall studs instead of 2/4, so more insulation can be packed into exterior walls, and interior walls also have insulation in them. Wrapping the exterior with heavy vinyl wrap to seal the cold air out, insulated windows, and heavy insulation in the attic spaces are all intended to save heating costs.

The problem with some of these super-insulated homes is sometimes they are so sealed up that fresh air intakes and exhausts are needed. The air can become very stale very quickly in some places, and CO2 buildup can become dangerous in a few, especially when a home is unoccupied for most of the day.

Many newer homes have some or all this stuff while older homes may not. Some homes may seem to be a real bargain, but can be very costly to heat, which may be a reason they're a bargain.

When it's 30 below zero outside, a house can become very expensive to heat very quickly. The costs of all heating fuels have gone up substantially in the past 20 years, so folks have found many solutions to keeping the costs down.

While below zero cold snaps are common, and most only last for 10 days or less, that's not always true. it is also common for the temps to hover around zero for a month or more, never getting warmer than 20º during the day and dipping down below zero at night. Heat conservation becomes a big deal.

Wind chill is as big a factor as cold here. When a winter day is 35º and the wind is blowing at 30 mph, the wind chill is below zero, and a house with a lot of air leaks loses it's heat rapidly.

A part of being an Idahoan is developing a tolerance for cold. We have a lot of topics about this here; it would pay to read through some of them. The more you learn about heating, the more questions you will have to get info on a house. Air conditioning isn't needed here very much, but heating is essential.

Last edited by banjomike; 08-24-2014 at 01:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: