Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

But after driving in all but two states, I would have to say that NY is number one in my book, with MA number two.
Absolutely. I used to live in MA (learned to drive there) and I lived in Boston too and they are the rudest of the rude. NY is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 03:53 PM

356 posts, read 520,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Montana places white metal crosses by the spots where death occurs on their highways. The Gallatin Highway has bunches of them at every dangerous turn. You would think anyone not familiar with the road would take them as a serious warning, but they never do.
Waaay back when we first visited this region looking for our future landing spot when we abandoned the sinking California ship, we took a drive into Montana. We were in the state for less than four hours and saw three separate crashes. And a whole lotta crosses. I told DaddyLion that Montana was off the short list.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:51 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Absolutely. I used to live in MA (learned to drive there) and I lived in Boston too and they are the rudest of the rude. NY is the same.
I didn't want to pinpoint actual cities, but yes, Boston and especially NYC are the worse, with LA coming in close....

Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
Some of you protest way too much. Insecure at all?

Yeezus.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:05 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Default I Think this was a Marketing Strategy

I have no proof of this; however, tracking back information last night, apparently an vehicle insurance company released this survey. I won't name the company.

No valid study lacks data and corrections for differences in states. ID allows younger teens to obtain licenses compared to many other states. Facts like that plus how many 90 y.o.+ drivers are in AZ, FL and elsewhere and what state (s) have the most limo drivers vs. regular drivers etc.

You may ask what difference do any of those factors make - - probably quite a few in areas like Manhattan. I don't know how many teen drivers are driving down Madison Avenue etc. I believe a valid study, not just a survey corrects those variables.

Mike, I'd ask you where you saw that only one question was asked, as I posted a link that stated what the two questions were. I believe you saw that - things seem to change about this survey daily. This company gets no more of my time searching for facts.

If it's a company that wanted to get talked about, they succeeded. There's no proof that 2,000 contacts were even made. But they've got people all over the web talking about what they put out at the beginning of the week for little money.

I could be wrong, but ranking ID #1 and placement of some other states (let alone cities... no one mentioned Houston) as they did, this company got noticed. They aren't getting my business regardless of the reason (s) behind the survey. I wouldn't trust them.

I also join BanjoMike and the Lion Family. Those white crosses in MT creep me out. I pointed out to a friend a group of seven were less than a football field's distance from a bar.

I've noticed certain trends from vehicles from Alberta too. Funny how those drivers seem to do the same things and more, throughout the state.

I think some valid driving issues have been listed, but as a couple of folks implied, we don't know how many on ID are in rentals with ID plates.

MSR

Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post

Yeezus.
Not at all. I feel this is gamey, very problematic in design or marketing not a valid study about rude or unsafe drivers. That ticks me off no matter which state was ranked #1.

MSR

Old 09-19-2014, 01:53 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post

Yeezus.
I don't think it's being affronted about Idaho so much as shock that CA isn't #1. Just returned from a road trip there, and it's only gotten worse from when I lived there.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:13 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I don't think it's being affronted about Idaho so much as shock that CA isn't #1. Just returned from a road trip there, and it's only gotten worse from when I lived there.
Look, it is what it is: an informal survey some group took with a questionable methodology. No more or no less than any "best of" list that gets constantly discussed on these forums.

It's fascinating to me how easy some of y'all discount this list in favor of personal experience (which is far less reliable than any broad survey, mind you), yet tout the "best of" lists in any comparative argument about a place.

The bottom line is there is no agenda here; for whatever reason the respondents thought Idaho was the state with the "rudest" drivers. It's not science but it's also not a stacked deck, either.

It boils down to an "eye of the beholder" thing, too. For many of us, that a-hole tailgating us while we drive 10 miles under the speed limit in the left lane is rude. For others of us, that a-hole driving 10 miles under the speed limit in the left lane, without bothering to pull over and let us by, is the rude one.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionFamily View Post
Oh.My.Goodness.

We went to Glacier just a few weeks ago and I am STILL recovering from "The Going to the Sun Road" experience. I cannot begin to imagine the degree of stupid required to even consider passing on that road.
Speaking of stupid on that road, now they are allowing "commercial" bicycling. They are plodding along at 5 miles an hour going up that road, often taking up an entire lane and forcing people to cross the centerline to pass. I've seen stupid before but this doesn't seem like the best, brightest place to be playing with toys.

As far as rude drivers here, the only thing I ever see that I consider "rude" is probably more just "clueless". It's people driving slowly in the passing lane...for no reason. At exactly the speed of the person in the right lane. For freekin' miles. "Keep right except to pass"...seems like such a simple concept.

By far the worst drivers I've seen in the US has been in Boston. A light changes to red and drivers keep on going. And going. And going. First one to make eye contact with opposing traffic looses, only to repeat the process. Only place I've ever been scared on a motorcycle.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:07 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Speaking of stupid on that road, now they are allowing "commercial" bicycling. They are plodding along at 5 miles an hour going up that road, often taking up an entire lane and forcing people to cross the centerline to pass. I've seen stupid before but this doesn't seem like the best, brightest place to be playing with toys.

As far as rude drivers here, the only thing I ever see that I consider "rude" is probably more just "clueless". It's people driving slowly in the passing lane...for no reason. At exactly the speed of the person in the right lane. For freekin' miles. "Keep right except to pass"...seems like such a simple concept.

By far the worst drivers I've seen in the US has been in Boston. A light changes to red and drivers keep on going. And going. And going. First one to make eye contact with opposing traffic looses, only to repeat the process. Only place I've ever been scared on a motorcycle.
There is something about people in bicycle shorts that just irritates me. Especially when they play chicken with traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho