Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:34 PM

382 posts, read 1,032,952 times

Advertisements

Oh it's well on it's way. Just drive around Lake Cda toward Harrison and look at all the money houses. Hayden too. The traffic is all the time now. More pollution to come for sure. A long with smog laws and all the other stuff that comes with more people moving here. If growth is so great why move from the populated areas? And re populate this one? Why? Cause people suck. That's why people move away. They get fed up with all the people. All the congestion and rudeness. Anyone with a thinking mind can see that this town is getting pretty full on all the streets most of the day. Once you fill in the gaps that are left. And I see more people moving here daily and more people with California plates looking around checking it out. It really is just a matter of time before the traffic and congestion become too much for a lot to bear. And then it will be time to move to some other quite mountain town because it's so quiet and everyone is so friendly. I am ready to get out again. This place is not the quiet place it once was. Tis a pity but it is true.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 02:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
Oh it's well on it's way. Just drive around Lake Cda toward Harrison and look at all the money houses. Hayden too. The traffic is all the time now. More pollution to come for sure. A long with smog laws and all the other stuff that comes with more people moving here. If growth is so great why move from the populated areas? And re populate this one? Why? Cause people suck. That's why people move away. They get fed up with all the people. All the congestion and rudeness. Anyone with a thinking mind can see that this town is getting pretty full on all the streets most of the day. Once you fill in the gaps that are left. And I see more people moving here daily and more people with California plates looking around checking it out. It really is just a matter of time before the traffic and congestion become too much for a lot to bear. And then it will be time to move to some other quite mountain town because it's so quiet and everyone is so friendly. I am ready to get out again. This place is not the quiet place it once was. Tis a pity but it is true.....
Behind every McDevelopment is a sales commission. Short term gains for long term decline.

CDA doesn't need to be a tourist only destination. There is a wealth of people willing to work, a location that surpasses most others, abundant natural resources and so on. That is being sold off to the highest bidder and every day a little more of CDA and the surrounding area is carved out and made private.

Why aren't there plenty of jobs for middle income families? Because they aren't wanted by those who need yoga studio window washers.

$10/hour assistant managers as Wendy's aren't going to support a robust and flourishing local economy. But then, a local economy isn't in the long term plans you see. Long term, Palo Alto of the north is the plan. A place where Teslas and Lamborgini's fly around the roads, jets zoom in and out but the people who really live there? They work at Wendy's and are used as examples of who goes to Yogo classes.

If there ever was a disconnect in reality, that is it.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:00 PM

820 posts, read 1,739,471 times
I am going to exit this conversation, as looking over your last 2 days of posts, you seem to be a very overly-opinionated, and hard-headed individual who doesn't have a lot to do other than start arguments and continue them on the internet.

Good luck in your trolling, I hope you have a great day.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:00 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
I doubt anyone in CDA cares about your story of what happened in Ventura or any California city for that matter.
Instead of being such a "Negative Nancy", maybe CDA could benefit from Ventura's experience. Did you ever think about that?

Old 10-11-2014, 03:44 PM

382 posts, read 1,032,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Behind every McDevelopment is a sales commission. Short term gains for long term decline.

CDA doesn't need to be a tourist only destination. There is a wealth of people willing to work, a location that surpasses most others, abundant natural resources and so on. That is being sold off to the highest bidder and every day a little more of CDA and the surrounding area is carved out and made private.

Why aren't there plenty of jobs for middle income families? Because they aren't wanted by those who need yoga studio window washers.

$10/hour assistant managers as Wendy's aren't going to support a robust and flourishing local economy. But then, a local economy isn't in the long term plans you see. Long term, Palo Alto of the north is the plan. A place where Teslas and Lamborgini's fly around the roads, jets zoom in and out but the people who really live there? They work at Wendy's and are used as examples of who goes to Yogo classes.

Oh for sure! It's been that way for years around here. They have been trying to turn this place into a tourist trap for decades. It finally took. One good thing will come of it though. If all the locals just went and used their park and town it would block the tourists from parking and getting around. I think a little of that is going on now. There is really nothing to do but get out of Cda if your looking for a small quiet place to live. This town is not it. They will just keep tearing down old houses down town Cda to put up new ones. And they will continue to fill in every vacant lot and space until they have to move out toward Higgens point. You should see all the lots around here that are ready to build on that have the sewer and power and pad set they are just waiting for the market to rebound. Once I get my money saved back up I am out of here. Too fast of a pace for my liking.....

Old 10-11-2014, 04:32 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

The same is true of Ketchum, except Ketchum has been an enclave of the wealthy and well-off retirees for a much longer time. And, due to location, Ketchum can't expand like C d'A can.

For years, those who worked lived down the road in Hailey, but now Hailey is becoming S. Ketchum. So the middle class has moved further and further down the road. These days, many are living as far away as Shoshone, Gooding and Twin, and are making long commutes daily.

It's even worse in Jackson Hole. The billionaires drove the millionaires out, and the millionaires moved over into Idaho. The workers in Jackson are now so scarce the city built some low-cost apartments just to keep some in town and on the job. A weird ghettoization for a town that only has about 35,000 people max.

I sincerely hope C d'A can find a way to develop some viable light industry and/or research facilities or the like. Although I'm not sorry Idaho Falls got the Center for Advanced Technology, I hope Coeur d'Alene doesn't get discouraged. The entire state benefits if the high tech stuff is spread out throughout the state, and the panhandle can sure use more higher paying middle class jobs. I think that if C d'A can team up with the U of I, both would profit by developing solid plans for accommodating tech development.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:12 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Instead of being such a "Negative Nancy", maybe CDA could benefit from Ventura's experience. Did you ever think about that?
Here's the problem: Any anti-growth policy has the affect of limiting supply of property. You either lock up open land owned by the government and protect it from development, or implement zoning ordinances that require larger lot sizes, or impose some minimum amount of open space per home, or otherwise make it less attractive to subdivide and build new homes.

Experience shows that the demand to live in the CdA area is strong - that's why people have been moving there. Implementing anti-growth policies doesn't change the demand to live there, the fundamental reasons why folks want to live there remain in place. So what happens is you restrict supply and leave demand the same. When that happens it's always the same story: prices go up.

The California experience shows that anti-growth policies in areas where there is strong demand to live will drive up the prices of real estate. This then makes it more difficult for low and middle income families to afford to live there, which also means they can't work in the area (or in California they live a long commute away from where they work). It's these kind of policies that have, in fact, made places such as Palo Alto what they are. Much of the rest of coastal California is the same way. The primary beneficiaries of anti-growth policies are always the people that already own property in the area.

Please take the time to learn from California's mistakes and avoid repeating them in Idaho. I say that as someone who has lived in California for the past 35 years, and will become a resident of Idaho in a couple years.

Dave

Last edited by Cnynrat; 10-11-2014 at 05:29 PM..

Old 10-11-2014, 08:04 PM

227 posts, read 382,305 times
I am glad I bought 15 acres in Sagle. It is near enough to Sandpoint and CDA but pretty much sprawl proof.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:14 PM

356 posts, read 520,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
I am going to exit this conversation, as looking over your last 2 days of posts, you seem to be a very overly-opinionated, and hard-headed individual who doesn't have a lot to do other than start arguments and continue them on the internet.

Good luck in your trolling, I hope you have a great day.
I don't necessarily agree with the posts that you are referring to, but I don't think it's fair to call it trolling, either. Growth is a two-edged sword; it has benefits and drawbacks. We would all be wise to consider both and try, at least, to think long-term. IMHO.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:46 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Its just the way he said it, in such a nasty and disrespectful manner to somebody who was just trying to be helpful that I had to say something.

Its ok to disagree, but theres no need to be rude about it. Thats one of the main problems with so many people in this country any more. Seems like people on the far left and people on the far right disagree and instead of thoughtfully discussing the issues they get insulting and personal and it starts to cause a rift between those who are closer to the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Here's the problem: Any anti-growth policy has the affect of limiting supply of property. You either lock up open land owned by the government and protect it from development, or implement zoning ordinances that require larger lot sizes, or impose some minimum amount of open space per home, or otherwise make it less attractive to subdivide and build new homes.

Experience shows that the demand to live in the CdA area is strong - that's why people have been moving there. Implementing anti-growth policies doesn't change the demand to live there, the fundamental reasons why folks want to live there remain in place. So what happens is you restrict supply and leave demand the same. When that happens it's always the same story: prices go up.

The California experience shows that anti-growth policies in areas where there is strong demand to live will drive up the prices of real estate. This then makes it more difficult for low and middle income families to afford to live there, which also means they can't work in the area (or in California they live a long commute away from where they work). It's these kind of policies that have, in fact, made places such as Palo Alto what they are. Much of the rest of coastal California is the same way. The primary beneficiaries of anti-growth policies are always the people that already own property in the area.

Please take the time to learn from California's mistakes and avoid repeating them in Idaho. I say that as someone who has lived in California for the past 35 years, and will become a resident of Idaho in a couple years.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho