Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:19 PM

551 posts, read 803,807 times

Advertisements

of Ancient Cedars? One is near Priest Lake and the other is near Murray. They both seem to on dirt or gravel roads and I was wondering how good or bad the roads are and what time of year is good to visit.

Stayed in Butte a little while ago and it was pretty cold there in the morning:

It actually hit -16* but didn't get a photo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
I've been into Settlers Grove. The road is good, any car can get there, at least in the summer. No idea if there is snow right now (doubt it, it's not a high elevation) or what shape the road is currently in. Nice spot though, there is a really nice walking trail. If you go there, I recommend stopping in Murray and visiting the Spragpole.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the good info. I think I will wait until summer and check the grove out.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:32 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
Thanks for the good info. I think I will wait until summer and check the grove out.
It looks as if the weather is supposed to be good this weekend. If I get the bike out and go bombing around maybe I'll take a spin up there and see what the road is like now. Another nice hike near there is at Thompson Pass, right on the Idaho-Montana border. There is a trail into Rivette (sp?) Lake that is a nice hike and the lake is really pretty. The drive over Thompson Pass and into Thompson Falls is nice, as is a loop from there along Hwy 200, through Clark Fork and Sandpoint.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 PM

Yeah, there sure has been a lot of sunshine lately. Hope that doesn't mean that there will be a lot of stinging bugs around later this year.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:52 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
OAFR, If you're ever going over in that direction (Thompson Pass), you might as well check out the Ross Creek Cedars on 56 in Montana. I know Toyman has been there.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 PM

Thanks, CFF. Didn't know there was another old cedar grove in the area. It's strange though that all three are about 2 hours away from where I'm at. I sure have a lot to check out in the summer.

How is your house coming along? Hope you get to move up to CF soon.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 PM

356 posts, read 520,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
OAFR, If you're ever going over in that direction (Thompson Pass), you might as well check out the Ross Creek Cedars on 56 in Montana. I know Toyman has been there.
I'll second this. It's a beautiful spot-well worth seeing!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
Thanks, CFF. Didn't know there was another old cedar grove in the area. It's strange though that all three are about 2 hours away from where I'm at. I sure have a lot to check out in the summer.

How is your house coming along? Hope you get to move up to CF soon.
I remember reading that there was another grove, right on the ID-MT border, up Blue Creek Road just off 200. (That is on the west slope of the Western Cabinets: Billiard Table MT and Sawtooth MT; Ross Creek Cedars is on the east slope.) But it was cut down in the days before the Big Burn when old-growth timber just seemed like an endless supply, I guess.

Our cabin: The cedar siding is almost complete! Next comes the inside: stairs, loft, walls, etc.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I remember reading that there was another grove, right on the ID-MT border, up Blue Creek Road just off 200. (That is on the west slope of the Western Cabinets: Billiard Table MT and Sawtooth MT; Ross Creek Cedars is on the east slope.) But it was cut down in the days before the Big Burn when old-growth timber just seemed like an endless supply, I guess.

Our cabin: The cedar siding is almost complete! Next comes the inside: stairs, loft, walls, etc.
Seems like the loggers like cedars. I can't find any on my lot. Just have a lot of Douglas-fir, lodge poles, some pondeBullBoxer31, and a few grand fir and larches. Running around my neighborhood, I found only two medium sized redcedars. My brother's lot has a few tiny redcedars though.

That's great news about the progress of your house! Are you planning a trip in the spring to see how it looks in person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho