Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:30 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times

Advertisements

I didn't say there were not areas of Idaho where real estate was expensive. Clearly there are.

I think Bonner county is somewhat comparable Teton county, and parts of Park county in WY. Both areas have similar qualities in terms of scenic beauty and outdoor recreation opportunities. Some might argue that Teton county is "better" with Yellowstone NP and the Tetons in your backyard. Obviously some do think that area is more desirable and that is reflected in the prices. But both areas have mountains, lakes and rivers, green forests, and opportunities for skiing, fishing, hunting, hiking etc. So that is a reasonable apples to apples comparison in my mind, and Bonner county is much less costly than those areas of WY.

The median price of a home in Teton county WY is $705k, compared to Bonner county at $218k. Park county overall is very similar to Bonner county in terms of median home prices, but I think the Park county median is pulled down by the primary population center in Cody, and I don't find that part of the county to be comparable to Bonner county. Property in the western part of Park county is more expensive, if you can find it, since so much is owned by the government.

Dave

Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 AM

181 posts, read 435,625 times
I'd rank Idaho and especially North Idaho as a safer place to live. If security, and survivability matters then North Idaho is where it's at. I'd suggest the book "Strategic Relocation" as a primer on what states are safest from all sorts of issues from civil unrest to nuclear fall out its all there. North Idaho is givin 5 stars (the best you can get) for the safety it would provide in an uncertain world.

Living costs here are cheaper and housing is much cheaper, if you own a business the tax breaks will save you a small fortune and having a small business friendly government is refreshing. Not to mention the work force here is by and large friendly and bright. It thrills me to go through a McDonalds and see it full of teenagers getting a chance at their first job and not 40 year old illegal aliens.

I run a personal security firm and have reloacted many family's here who see a comming dangerous time in this country. Time and time again after measuring the threats an area could face North Idaho shines with its low population, easy access to water, almost non existent firearms laws, homogenous population, low crime rate and prevailing winds that would carry fallout south around us.

Ask yourself this, if you lost power and water state wide for 7 days would you rather be in Los Angeles, New York, or North Idaho. The cost of homes here in North Idaho is fairly affordable (much more so than most Blue state city's) and the quality of life is much higher if freedom and the outdoors is your thing.

Accept for an infiltration of some of the usual suspects into the Boise area Idaho has managed to stay right of center and focused on a more libertarian/Constitutionalist political path. This should set the state up well in the future to Bring more freedom loving people into the state and help it keep that lovely small town America in the 1980s feel.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:55 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Remember that Bankrate, a financial outfit out of Florida, put the list together.

While personal finances, health care access, safety, etc. are certainly factors most retirees take into account, it's pretty obvious that states like Idaho, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado are going to attract different people than Arizona or Florida. The folks who have never lived in anything but a city, and think suburbia is rural, aren't likely to be looking at any of the top states in the list as the best places to retire. Idaho is going to naturally attract the active folks who love outdoor activities more that living in a suburban jungle.

I seriously doubt we will ever see retirement communities here that are specifically designed for thousands of older people with highway systems designed for hot rod golf carts. Possibly some of our large cities may eventually build an addition designed for retirees, but I don't think we will ever see entire towns spring up that are devoted to them.

I always take any top 10 list with a grain of salt, especially when a list comes from the other side of the country. Retirement isn't just about money and all the other factors that were used to create the list. If it was, we would have already seen a much bigger retirement boom than we had in the 1990s.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:02 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTIME View Post
I run a personal security firm and have reloacted many family's here who see a comming dangerous time in this country. Time and time again after measuring the threats an area could face North Idaho shines with its low population, easy access to water, almost non existent firearms laws, homogenous population, low crime rate and prevailing winds that would carry fallout south around us.

There you go. For anyone looking to move to Idaho who is not part of the "homogenous population," here is how you might be received.

(And people wonder why Northern Idaho's particular legacies live on....)

Old 03-26-2015, 02:31 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTIME View Post
I'd rank Idaho and especially North Idaho as a safer place to live. If security, and survivability matters then North Idaho is where it's at. I'd suggest the book "Strategic Relocation" as a primer on what states are safest from all sorts of issues from civil unrest to nuclear fall out its all there. North Idaho is givin 5 stars (the best you can get) for the safety it would provide in an uncertain world.

Living costs here are cheaper and housing is much cheaper, if you own a business the tax breaks will save you a small fortune and having a small business friendly government is refreshing. Not to mention the work force here is by and large friendly and bright. It thrills me to go through a McDonalds and see it full of teenagers getting a chance at their first job and not 40 year old illegal aliens.

Ask yourself this, if you lost power and water state wide for 7 days would you rather be in Los Angeles, New York, or North Idaho. The cost of homes here in North Idaho is fairly affordable (much more so than most Blue state city's) and the quality of life is much higher if freedom and the outdoors is your thing.

Accept for an infiltration of some of the usual suspects into the Boise area Idaho has managed to stay right of center and focused on a more libertarian/Constitutionalist political path. This should set the state up well in the future to Bring more freedom loving people into the state and help it keep that lovely small town America in the 1980s feel.
People that are upset about "illegal aliens" working at a McDonald's are simply racist and delusional. So you're relocating people to Idaho for a better life? Those people are doing the same thing. And guess what, WHITE PEOPLE hire them because they make a bigger profit. I agree that in whatever country that those citizens should have a right to a job before an immigrant, legal or not. But America does not have that system and you cannot blame people looking for opportunity. I mean you move people to Idaho, right? You don't think that those new arrivals may be taking a job from an Idahoan? No, you wouldn't think that because your business is to bring people in...and profit off of it.

and...

IDAHO IS NOT A LIBERTARIAN STATE - Libertarians are socially liberal. They do no look to control a woman's body as the State of Idaho would like to do. They don't care if you smoke crack - but in Idaho the ISP sits around looking for out of state plates where it is legal to use marijuana. Libertarians do not care if gays get married. Additionally, Constitutionalists are NOT Libertarians. The Tea Party is not a Libertarian movement.

Last edited by boi2socal; 03-26-2015 at 02:52 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 03:04 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,916 times
Yup.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:06 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
People that are upset about "illegal aliens" working at a McDonald's are simply racist and delusional. So you're relocating people to Idaho for a better life? Those people are doing the same thing. And guess what, WHITE PEOPLE hire them because they make a bigger profit. I agree that in whatever country that those citizens should have a right to a job before an immigrant, legal or not. But America does not have that system and you cannot blame people looking for opportunity. I mean you move people to Idaho, right? You don't think that those new arrivals may be taking a job from an Idahoan? No, you wouldn't think that because your business is to bring people in...and profit off of it.

and...

IDAHO IS NOT A LIBERTARIAN STATE - Libertarians are socially liberal. They do no look to control a woman's body as the State of Idaho would like to do. They don't care if you smoke crack - but in Idaho the ISP sits around looking for out of state plates where it is legal to use marijuana. Libertarians do not care if gays get married. Additionally, Constitutionalists are NOT Libertarians. The Tea Party is not a Libertarian movement.
Waiting for someone to pull out the race card. It had to happen on this forum.

Your reply either shows you have never ventured outside of the west or southeast or have done so, but refuse to accept the fact that NOT ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS ARE OF HISPANIC DESCENT. In the east, the are of European heritigage, primarily from the ex-communist block countries. What many don't understand is the northern border is as porous as the southern border and just as unguarded. One thing to note, they take care of themselves and I guess since they are the "white" you hate, they get along better in society.

You do make sense in that it is due to the companies and farmers who employ illegals ALL ACROSS THE USA, and that needs to be stopped. But let's not forget that we have someone in the WH who has opened the southern border, and welcomed his friends from the south; but has not welcomed the "white" illegals from Europe; they are still being deported at a greater number and yet a lower number entering.

And please, before anyone states that they take jobs Americans don't want; please look at the building trades in southern states. They have been overtaken, with yes, hispanics (and if that makes me a racist...great; tell that to one of my ex-girlfriends and she will disagree). I'm actually an equal opportunity hater, and those who know me well, will be the first to say that I am the biggest P...k anyone has ever met.

The one sad point is that most illegals, take jobs from the lower income bracket of workers; thus, the hardest number of people hurt by illegal aliens are blacks and other hispanics; legally in this country. So, if someone is upset that illegals are taking their jobs and is black does that make them a racist? I have met many black people who hate illegals, regardless of where they come from.

So, just because someone is against illegal aliens, or hate the current President, that DOES NOT MAKE THEM A RACIST. In fact, from my travels, I have noted that those who throw out the "race" BS first are usually the closet racist, and they will be the first to scream and yell if their job is taken away by an ILLEGAL or one moved in next door (and that is not only for ILLEGALS.) And I never worried about my job being taken away by an illegal, it could never have happened, and now I'm retired so I could care less; other than I hate seeing this country turned into a borderless oasis full of....(can't say or post will be deleted).

Old 03-26-2015, 04:43 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Waiting for someone to pull out the race card. It had to happen on this forum.

Your reply either shows you have never ventured outside of the west or southeast or have done so, but refuse to accept the fact that NOT ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS ARE OF HISPANIC DESCENT. In the east, the are of European heritigage, primarily from the ex-communist block countries. What many don't understand is the northern border is as porous as the southern border and just as unguarded. One thing to note, they take care of themselves and I guess since they are the "white" you hate, they get along better in society.

You do make sense in that it is due to the companies and farmers who employ illegals ALL ACROSS THE USA, and that needs to be stopped. But let's not forget that we have someone in the WH who has opened the southern border, and welcomed his friends from the south; but has not welcomed the "white" illegals from Europe; they are still being deported at a greater number and yet a lower number entering.

And please, before anyone states that they take jobs Americans don't want; please look at the building trades in southern states. They have been overtaken, with yes, hispanics (and if that makes me a racist...great; tell that to one of my ex-girlfriends and she will disagree). I'm actually an equal opportunity hater, and those who know me well, will be the first to say that I am the biggest P...k anyone has ever met.

The one sad point is that most illegals, take jobs from the lower income bracket of workers; thus, the hardest number of people hurt by illegal aliens are blacks and other hispanics; legally in this country. So, if someone is upset that illegals are taking their jobs and is black does that make them a racist? I have met many black people who hate illegals, regardless of where they come from.

So, just because someone is against illegal aliens, or hate the current President, that DOES NOT MAKE THEM A RACIST. In fact, from my travels, I have noted that those who throw out the "race" BS first are usually the closet racist, and they will be the first to scream and yell if their job is taken away by an ILLEGAL or one moved in next door (and that is not only for ILLEGALS.) And I never worried about my job being taken away by an illegal, it could never have happened, and now I'm retired so I could care less; other than I hate seeing this country turned into a borderless oasis full of....(can't say or post will be deleted).
Asserting I'm racist while making your own inflammatory comments? Ok. I still stand by my statement. People that blame illegal immigrants for everything are racist. Forgive me if I've missed the news about a bunch of people picketing a YMCA bus they thought had a bunch of Eastern European illegal immigrants in it. I believe they picketed and yelled because they saw Hispanic children and associated with illegal immigration.

Illegal immigrants do no take jobs - they are given jobs.

And your statement, "I'm retired so I could care less." This is the very problem that is plaguing Idaho. Selfish types that cash out on the money they made in other states with better economies then move to Idaho and demand less government while the locals deal with awful schools and low paying jobs. But YOU don't care. So much for the sense of community that so many seek in Idaho.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:41 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Inflammatory comments, just because I assume you are a racist since you automatically and incorrectly call anyone who hates illegal aliens as racist! Please explain that one. As I explained, but it appears you did not understand is that there are a heck of a lot of illegals in this country that ARE not of hispanic descent. Did you read that? Did you understand that?

And to mention the bus...wow; that is really ludicrous. They didn't want the US government to ship in hundreds of illegals into their area and take up room in their schools at local expense. Did you understand that not all those people were racist, they just were fed up with the US government and the Liar in Chief who continues to push illegal on the public.

Yes, there were some racists in that incident, but there are racists in the USA. I never said they weren't. And those racists are white, black and brown; it goes both ways.

I hate to blow your little liberal bubble, but the push of illegals from the south are pushing many school districts into money problems and who is left to pay the bill...the locals; not the feds. And you supposedly are a supporter of the poor teachers and yet you cannot see what would happen to the school districts in this state if thousands of kids showed up who did not speak English and the schools were required to hire more multi-lingual teachers to teach these people, and their parents probably are NOT paying any property taxes toward the schools? A bit hypocritical if you ask me, but you didn't; like i care. Lucky for the teachers here, this did not happen in ID.

And since when does it make a person selfish if they retire to another state? As not everyone is a racist, not everyone who retires is selfish. But you like to think that people who retire to another state are leaches on society. Well, I'll be first to say, I hope you don't make it to retirement. That way you will have no one implying that you are a leach on society.

Got news for you, I am an American citizen and I can legally move to any state I want. And most of the money I made was not made while actually living in another state, I only had legal residence in those states (however, I did go home on occasion); other than Utah. I worked for the US government but I was in foreign countries doing my job; sad to say, keeping people like you free. I look at how this country has gone to liberals and feel I should have just been a bum on the street; heck you liberals would have treated me better. I said earlier most would call me a P...K, and they would be correct. But I am also the nastiest one most people know, and that allowed me to do a great job for the government. Too bad it was to keep people like you free. My views have changed a lot in the past thirty years.

And to let you know, even if it is NONE of your business, I voted yes for the local school vote even though I have NO kids in the schools. I don't hate teachers, I just understand that if the majority of the people don't make that much money what makes the teachers so special. It sure isn't cause they are all so great and intelligent, cause they aren't.

And since moving here last October, I sure have kept the local economy going with the purchase of the house, and doing massive upgrades to the house. Tell the windows guys, tell the furnace guys, tell the kitchen cabinet and countertop guys, tell the landscapers, etc. that they would be better off if I had not moved to ID. I have probably put back more into the economy in six months than you have in six years.

But the funny part...I will be here for a long time, and eventually I will sit back and stop spending large amounts of money. And if I'm not here for a long time...I won't care!

So you have a nice day (yes, I'm lying)

Just noticed, you are in West Hollywood CA? And you are on an ID forum calling an ID resident a selfish person? What a tool you are! Or are you a transplant from W. Hollywood CA? Or are you lying about being an ID resident? Curious now, but really don't care.

Regardless, you sure have that California dreaming BS of changing the world to liberalism and you probably have a statue of Obama that you pray to every night. Darn, if I had noted that address earlier I would not have written a long message, I would have just noted your address and said WHO CARES. I keep hoping for the big one to sink CA and cure half the problems of the USA in seconds.

And this thread, which I started sure has gone off the main theme thanks to liberal garbage. Maybe the moderators should consider closing it or moving it to a political section.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Well, love 'em or hate 'em, Hispanics are Idaho's largest minority by far. 12%, by the last census, the only minority here in double digits.
They are also one of the oldest minorities; Hispanics began immigrating here as soon as potatoes began being irrigated by sprinklers, not canals, and we now have quite a few who moved here lately from Arizona, as our farmers treat them much more kindly.
While most live in the southern end, immigrant Hispanic farmers live aplenty just over the border in Washington, where lots of spuds are grown. Just like any others in America, it's impossible to expect Hispanics to stay out of the panhandle. They'll come eventually.

Don't forget that Idaho's 1st District elected a Hispanic twice for Congress, or that our former 2-term Director of Education was Hispanic, or that our current Director of Education is married to one. There are several Hispanics serving in the State House. Most obviously, all are conservative, too.

That's Idaho. Natives once had trouble accepting the Cornish and Italian strike breakers who moved to Wallace as part of an effort to break up the mining unions 100 years ago, and the Swedes who settled in the south in their own farm communities weren't well loved initially, either. All these groups' descendants, including the Hispanics, are still here, and others from other minorities as well.
Old Mother Idaho decides for herself who's her true child or is a temporary foster child who's just passing through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho