Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 05:56 PM

66 posts, read 145,990 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good route to drive from Northern San Diego to the Wood River Valley area? If all goes as planned I will make the trip in June. I have looked at the routes that go all the way through Nevada, but they look rather desolate. I plan on staying one night, possibly two, on the way up. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 07:35 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Vegas up via 93 is about the straightest route, and it is primarily a desert. I sure would not do the I-15 route. It is a bit less desolate, but about a hour or two longer and worse; there is some major construction of bridges through the Virgin River Gorge between St. George UT and Nevada. Also, it take you through SLC and that is never a fun drive.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:56 PM

[quote=f5fstop;39000076]Vegas up via 93 is about the straightest route, and it is primarily a desert. I sure would not do the I-15 route. It is a bit less desolate, but about a hour or two longer and worse; there is some major construction of bridges through the Virgin River Gorge between St. George UT and Nevada. Also, it take you through SLC and that is never a fun drive.[

The I-15 to 93 was the route I initially was planning, with a stop overnight in Ely. I am concerned that if I had car trouble or something that I would be stranded in the desert (I am driving alone). I actually was thinking of going to St. George instead, but did not know about the bridge construction. Hmmm.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:47 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Seconds on what f5 wrote.
You're going to be driving through heat and desolation no matter what, and 93 isn't any better or worse than the interstate when it comes to a breakdown in summer anywhere in Nevada.

Get your vehicle tuned up thoroughly before you begin if you are worried about it. And make sure to carry at least 3 gallons of water, just in case.

If you are really worried about your vehicle, take I-15. Once in Utah, there are plenty of stops along the route. But, as f5 mentioned, once you're in the Salt Lake Valley, the traffic is a real dog. And the other drivers all get crazy during the main drive times. If you must go that way, try to schedule Salt Lake around the main commute times if at all possible. The last time I took I-15, headed north from the L.A. basin, I stopped for the night early in Nephi and got through the SLC traffic around 10:40 am. It was lighter than average at that time. No guarantees, though… that stretch can logjam any time, it seems.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:07 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
We travel from San Diego County to North Idaho (and back ) every summer. The last few years we have gone up I-15, precisely because of the lack of amenities on 93. We've timed it so we've missed the rush hour traffic around SLC, and it's been fine. Especially since you're traveling alone I would recommend that route. The Virgin River bridge construction, now that sounds nasty, but if you travel up from SD North County in the evening you'll miss the worst of the traffic around Riverside and the long traffic jam up the mountain. Then if you drive straight through Vegas and stay at a motel just north of town you may be able to get through the construction zone early next morning. Last summer we avoided most of the Riverside Ct traffic by leaving home around 8 pm. It felt a little weird, but it really worked out.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:35 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Virgin river construction will primarily be between 6AM to 6PM....

And if going via the SLC route, consider the 215 WEST bypass. It does help, only a few miles added to the trip. I take that bypass every time I have driven through SLC and that has been a lot, and it is a heck of a lot less stressful. (Honestly, I prefer driving interstates through Chicago, Detroit, near Washington DC, Atlanta than through SLC.)

Old 03-29-2015, 08:33 AM

I did not even consider the Riverside traffic! Sounds like I will have to suffer through a lot of traffic just to get away from all the San Diego traffic. I am leaning towards taking the I-15 through Utah both because it is more populated and because I would like to see the state. I will try and time the traffic, though. I never anticipated all that Salt Lake City traffic either! I knew that you friendly posters here would know the ins and outs, and your help is much appreciated. I have made many trips to Idaho, but I have always flown there.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:03 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarabel View Post
I did not even consider the Riverside traffic! Sounds like I will have to suffer through a lot of traffic just to get away from all the San Diego traffic. I am leaning towards taking the I-15 through Utah both because it is more populated and because I would like to see the state. I will try and time the traffic, though. I never anticipated all that Salt Lake City traffic either! I knew that you friendly posters here would know the ins and outs, and your help is much appreciated. I have made many trips to Idaho, but I have always flown there.
Yes, Riverside/San Bernardino traffic is a pain in the neck when you just want to go north. But it is still better than anything in L.A. County...

For a first view of Utah I-15 it isn't a bad choice, except there are of course much more scenic routes, such as 89. The "good stuff" on I-15 starts at Virgin River Canyon, and up to Cedar City, with Red Rock vistas. After that it's still grand, but more monotonous with tall mountains to the east and flat country to the west. When we head north on 15, we feel that the moment our vacation begins is at the VR Canyon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Virgin river construction will primarily be between 6AM to 6PM....

And if going via the SLC route, consider the 215 WEST bypass. It does help, only a few miles added to the trip. I take that bypass every time I have driven through SLC and that has been a lot, and it is a heck of a lot less stressful. (Honestly, I prefer driving interstates through Chicago, Detroit, near Washington DC, Atlanta than through SLC.)
Aaaargh, 6 am? That does it for a nice dawn trip through the canyon, I guess... In that case I'd time it to after 6 pm, but before or around sunset, because the ride through the VR Canyon is spectacular.

I looked up 215 west of SLC, and that's what we'll do when we drive up next time. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: