Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 02:40 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,307 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a vacation to the northern panhandle of Idaho this summer/early fall and would love some input and guidance. I'd like to find a cabin (for two people - no kids) that offers privacy in a rural environment to rent for approximately one week. I don't want to be around other vacationers or buildings. Having access to fishable water (lake or river) and land to roam around and explore are added bonuses. I'm pretty flexible on the vacation dates, but would like to vacation when the weather is nice enough to spend time outdoors.

I'd appreciate any input or experiences that others might share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:12 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
I'm planning a vacation to the northern panhandle of Idaho this summer/early fall and would love some input and guidance. I'd like to find a cabin (for two people - no kids) that offers privacy in a rural environment to rent for approximately one week. I don't want to be around other vacationers or buildings. Having access to fishable water (lake or river) and land to roam around and explore are added bonuses. I'm pretty flexible on the vacation dates, but would like to vacation when the weather is nice enough to spend time outdoors.

I'd appreciate any input or experiences that others might share.
I see you are coming up to my neck of the woods and I am coming down to yours lol. Here is one I found on Spirit Lake Coeur d'Alene Idaho Vacations Spirit Lake - Cabin (http://www.vrbo.com/36890 - broken link), I am sure you could find a nice rental cabin on most of the lakes around here. Prices will be much higher if you want CDA or Pond Orielle lake, but they are also the largest. Your best bet on good weather would be in July/August. Have fun!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:27 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post
I see you are coming up to my neck of the woods and I am coming down to yours lol. Here is one I found on Spirit Lake Coeur d'Alene Idaho Vacations Spirit Lake - Cabin (http://www.vrbo.com/36890 - broken link), I am sure you could find a nice rental cabin on most of the lakes around here. Prices will be much higher if you want CDA or Pond Orielle lake, but they are also the largest. Your best bet on good weather would be in July/August. Have fun!
Hey, good to hear from you again! I've wanted to get up your way for quite some time, and this year I'm going to make the journey.

I'd like to wander around the northern panhandle a bit, so I'm not really set on CDA or Pond Orielle lake in particular (though they're certainly in consideration). I might even prefer to line up a few different cabins for 2-3 night stays so that I can see more of the area.

Thank you for the tip, and let me know if I can help you with your transition to Missouri.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
You will likely want to visit sometime between mid-July to early Sept. That is the time of the best weather.

I am sure there are remote cabins out there, just not sure how many there are by a lake with no people around. People love to live and vacation near water. Lake Pend Orielle draws many people in the summer.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:01 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,543 times
Dear OnOurWayToMO,

There are a lot of options for you. How about something different? Check out:

Huckleberry Tent and Breakfast in Clark Fork Idaho

or a log cabin at

Log Cabin Lodging in Sandpoint ID

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 PM

17 posts, read 174,055 times
Doesn't quite meet your requirement of "no other vacationers or buildings", but you might check out Granite Creek Marina on Priest Lake. Individual cabins, very close to the Thoroughfare, so there's not much to the north of it. I've only been up there once or twice and never to stay--went to school with the daughter of the owner.

Priest Lake, even when it's busy, is not like Coeur d'Alene Lake. Upper Priest Lake is "no wake only", so canoes are great. Miles of trails around the lake and up into Canada. Check out the Google Earth view.

Kathleen
P.S. By "marina", don't think fancy or touristy (unless they've rebuilt in the last five years). Main house is mostly just a house with a larger front room. I think the cabins have electricity and water, but not positive. The Stevens have owned it since before the early 1970's when we moved up. Mr. Stevens was a high school teacher--they ran the marina during the summer. I seem to recall that his wife's family had owned the marina previously. The first Mrs. Stevens died a number of years ago, but he might have remarried. I would guess that one of the kids is mostly running it now. Priest Lake Idaho Chamber of Commerce Visitors Guide (broken link)

Last edited by katiewa; 01-17-2008 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 01-20-2008, 01:01 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiewa View Post
Doesn't quite meet your requirement of "no other vacationers or buildings", but you might check out Granite Creek Marina on Priest Lake. Individual cabins, very close to the Thoroughfare, so there's not much to the north of it. I've only been up there once or twice and never to stay--went to school with the daughter of the owner.

Priest Lake, even when it's busy, is not like Coeur d'Alene Lake. Upper Priest Lake is "no wake only", so canoes are great. Miles of trails around the lake and up into Canada. Check out the Google Earth view.

Kathleen
P.S. By "marina", don't think fancy or touristy (unless they've rebuilt in the last five years). Main house is mostly just a house with a larger front room. I think the cabins have electricity and water, but not positive. The Stevens have owned it since before the early 1970's when we moved up. Mr. Stevens was a high school teacher--they ran the marina during the summer. I seem to recall that his wife's family had owned the marina previously. The first Mrs. Stevens died a number of years ago, but he might have remarried. I would guess that one of the kids is mostly running it now. Priest Lake Idaho Chamber of Commerce Visitors Guide (broken link)
Only the thoroughfare is "no wake". You can cut a wake on Upper Priest. Still, there aren't all that many boats up there even at the height of summer.
If you vacation at Priest, be prepared to never want to leave. We went to build a vacation cabin 6 years ago this June and never left. This place is heaven.
We keep talking about building a vacation cabin on our property down on the river where it can't be seen from our cabin. I wish we'd already done it when I read posts like this!

Priest Lake Idaho Vacation Rental Cabins and Homes

Last edited by mistyriver; 01-20-2008 at 01:17 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 12:17 PM

17 posts, read 174,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Only the thoroughfare is "no wake". You can cut a wake on Upper Priest. Still, there aren't all that many boats up there even at the height of summer.
If you vacation at Priest, be prepared to never want to leave. We went to build a vacation cabin 6 years ago this June and never left. This place is heaven.
We keep talking about building a vacation cabin on our property down on the river where it can't be seen from our cabin. I wish we'd already done it when I read posts like this!

Priest Lake Idaho Vacation Rental Cabins and Homes
Is the no-wake something that has changed in the last 20 years? I thought sure that was why we had canoed on the Upper Priest.

It is an incredibly beautiful area!! Congratulations on getting to live there!

Kathleen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho