Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:30 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times

Advertisements

Kubota engines are made in Japan so not made completely in the US. I also don't believe JD takes other tractors and puts their name on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 01:46 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
Something to consider is how far you have to go for posts and service. There is a John Deere dealer in standpoint, and a Yanmar dealer in Sagle. CdA has a few more dealers, including John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, Tym, and maybe one our two others.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:42 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Kubota engines are made in Japan so not made completely in the US. I also don't believe JD takes other tractors and puts their name on it.
Yanmar makes at least some of the smaller John Deeres. IIRC Shibaru makes the small Ford/New Hollands. There is probably better info out there but here is a thread I found. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...ohn-deere.html I used to be more up on it but have forgotten a lot.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:59 PM

69 posts, read 80,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Fortunately, I qualified that with "If I recall correctly" because I didn't.

I knew there was something about Kubota that was distinct from the others. I did some more reading and it was that Kubota is the one that builds all their own major components (engines, trannys, etc.), albeit not in the US.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 PM

551 posts, read 803,908 times
Hey Toyman, got a couple questions for you about tractor size for the NID area. I think I'm going to get either a B series or L series tractor. Seems like you're happy with your L. Do you think the heavier L series would be better for moving brush and cut logs with a grapple than the lighter B series? Is your tractor pretty easy to drive around all the trees?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
Hey Toyman, got a couple questions for you about tractor size for the NID area. I think I'm going to get either a B series or L series tractor. Seems like you're happy with your L. Do you think the heavier L series would be better for moving brush and cut logs with a grapple than the lighter B series? Is your tractor pretty easy to drive around all the trees?

Thanks!
It's OK in most places. The problem is as you're getting at-the bigger tractor will do a better job lifting bigger loads/pulling bigger implements. But at the same time, it's not as handy to get around with. I have nearly 1/2 mile of driveway to do and I don't think I'd want smaller for that. But in the woods, honestly I don't work it that hard and it's a bit big and clumsy-especially with the FEL and a counterweight (usually box grader). It's also much too big to use for mowing my yard. Just bought an old riding mower for that. Honestly, if it wasn't for the driveway, I'd be sort of tempted for the B2601. It looks smaller, more like a big riding mower. And I see it does have a mid-mount mower on it, and a small FEL. I don't know if you can get a grapple with it. It would really pay to spend some time playing at the dealer. With your 250ft driveway you don't need a huge machine. Honestly it's a tough call, with a shorter driveway I'm not sure which way I'd go. When you mention cutting logs, are you looking to just cut them to firewood length then move them with the FEL? Or are you talking moving full-size trees for commercial logging? Or throwing a choker around a tree and dragging it?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's OK in most places. The problem is as you're getting at-the bigger tractor will do a better job lifting bigger loads/pulling bigger implements. But at the same time, it's not as handy to get around with. I have nearly 1/2 mile of driveway to do and I don't think I'd want smaller for that. But in the woods, honestly I don't work it that hard and it's a bit big and clumsy-especially with the FEL and a counterweight (usually box grader). It's also much too big to use for mowing my yard. Just bought an old riding mower for that. Honestly, if it wasn't for the driveway, I'd be sort of tempted for the B2601. It looks smaller, more like a big riding mower. And I see it does have a mid-mount mower on it, and a small FEL. I don't know if you can get a grapple with it. It would really pay to spend some time playing at the dealer. With your 250ft driveway you don't need a huge machine. Honestly it's a tough call, with a shorter driveway I'm not sure which way I'd go. When you mention cutting logs, are you looking to just cut them to firewood length then move them with the FEL? Or are you talking moving full-size trees for commercial logging? Or throwing a choker around a tree and dragging it?
Thanks for the reply, Toyman. I plan to cut the logs down to 6-8 foot lengths for the grapple. The B2601 looks like it's between the BX and the B2650 in size. I don't know if it's too small for the Land Pride grapple for the B series and not sure if the grapple for the BX series would fit.

I have so many trees that the tractor size would be a big factor. I plan to thin it so I need the tractor to haul the logs. I sure got tired of hauling the down trees manually when I cleared the area around the house with the push mower and string trimmer/brush cutter. That sure was a workout. LOL The worst part was moving all the dead branches and tree trunks that were all over the place.

Here's what it looked like behind my house last summer before I cleared it out. That's pretty much how the whole lot is.

Looks better after I cleared it out but still have too many trees:

I think I should stay with the smaller tractor so I can get around all the trees. Thanks again for all advice.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:14 PM

Honestly, I think you're right. A mid mount mower is much handier for mowing in tighter areas and keeping things maintained. Only thing is they are lighter and not suitable for "rough" brush clearing. OTOH that's what a bush hog is for, and anything with a 3-pt and PTO will handle that. I think you'd be well served with the smaller BX or B series (I need to study more on the differences). Talk to your dealer in detail about what you want to do, as well as bring some pics like you have above. Especially get the dope on the capacities of the FELs. Another thought that might be really helpful-rent a couple different ones for a couple weekends and see what is really better for you. It's a big investment, a few hundred in rental fees beats spending $20k and wishing you'd have gone a different route. Also, you might ask the dealer which one is the most stable on hills. Your property doesn't look too hilly, still stability matters.

BTW, your property looks great.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Honestly, I think you're right. A mid mount mower is much handier for mowing in tighter areas and keeping things maintained. Only thing is they are lighter and not suitable for "rough" brush clearing. OTOH that's what a bush hog is for, and anything with a 3-pt and PTO will handle that. I think you'd be well served with the smaller BX or B series (I need to study more on the differences). Talk to your dealer in detail about what you want to do, as well as bring some pics like you have above. Especially get the dope on the capacities of the FELs. Another thought that might be really helpful-rent a couple different ones for a couple weekends and see what is really better for you. It's a big investment, a few hundred in rental fees beats spending $20k and wishing you'd have gone a different route. Also, you might ask the dealer which one is the most stable on hills. Your property doesn't look too hilly, still stability matters.

BTW, your property looks great.
Thanks! I'm planning on going to the Kubota dealer next week to check out the tractors and talk to the sales guy there. The stability issue is a good point to consider. I have a couple of huge brush piles from my cleanup efforts and several smaller ones. I don't feel comfortable burning so I think out have to find a spot somewhere on my lot to move them and I might have to make a road/path for the tractor to the spot. Hopefully the tractor will be up to that task and moving all the brush and logs.

Would a MMM work on uneven ground like in the photos as long as there is no woody growth? I'd have to make sure all the small stumps are cut about level with the ground and rocks are removed. Luckily most of the cleared areas are rock free. I just want to maintain the areas that I cleared with my cheap push mower. That mower finally broke just when I finished. LOL

Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2015, 09:51 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
We are selling our Kubota tractor (B3200 Hydrostatic) and implements. Rototiller, backhoe, 3-point chipper, snowblower, and deck mower.

If anyone is interested, pm me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho