Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 122,344 times

Advertisements

Think twice before considering moving to Twin Falls. If you are retired......great.......lots of small town festivals and seemingly friendly people. If you need a job....forget it, part-time...low pay...no benefits. I've lived in PA.,OH.,TX., and NV., believe me this town has a strong undercurrent that you just don't see walking down Main Street. If you are not part of the, "Faith," base of this town.....you will we passed over and shunned socially. I am a single, white, female, 50ish and for the first time in my life, understand what real prejudice is all about. My neighbor has been here almost a year and put his house up for sale because of the same problem. If only I could afford to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 06:03 PM

43 posts, read 346,127 times
Default I wanted to respond to this post.

I am not a native of Idaho. I have however lived in many states across this country. I grew up in an area that had a very different viewpoint from many conservatives here in Idaho. Here is my top 5 list of pros and cons about Twin Falls, Idaho.

Pros about Twin Falls, Idaho:

1. Idaho has an incredible amount of things to do for anyone who is interested in outdoor recreation. I do love that about this state. That puts Idaho right on the top of my list. I love the vast natural views of this state and area.(Utah was right up there as well since I had lived there for several years)

2. The people for the most part have been easy to get along with. I didn't always find that to be the case in other areas of the country that I have lived in.

3. The cost of living as a whole in Twin Falls, Idaho is still relatively low compared to many other areas. Yes, I do believe this is a good area for retired people but not necessarily for some who are still relatively young and chasing a career.

4. I like the fact that I'm not usually in bumper to bumper traffic everyday when I'm going back and forth to work. Poleline road however is the future of Twin Falls, Idaho sorry Blue Lakes.

5. Housing, while still rather inflated in many parts of this market, is still rather affordable. I just can't see paying for a 'small fixer upper' in a Boston, MA suburb for $350,000-400,000 being a 'good deal'. That is just one of the reasons I moved away from the eastcoast.

Cons about Twin Falls, Idaho.

1. Meth is a problem in this town/area but that is unfortunately a problem for many areas in this country. It is killing/robbing our society and future generations.

2. Yes, jobs and benefits are on the low end in this market. This is also a small but growing city. Ag is still a very important component in this area. I'd rather see more better paying companies and jobs move into the area but that is just my opinion. That is why so many young people leave this area. I hope that trend reverses within the next 10 years. I'd like to see Twin Falls grow and prosper in a good way.

3. For the young and single life will and can be rough. This is still a small area. If you are older it can even be worse. Been there and still doing it. Yes, Boise and SLC will have much more. I know, no brainer.

4. I'd hope Twin Falls would also do something about upgrading their small downtown district. I did hear plans are in the works. Although I feel Filer(downtown) needs plenty more help. I'm sure it will come with time. Kimberly-Twin Falls-Filer will eventually connect in the future as growth continues.

5. The weather might be a complaint for some but I believe Twin Falls overall has a relatively mild winter and only sometimes very HOT summers.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:59 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
We used to live an hour out of Pocatello and had the same descrimination as you mentioned. Sorry you are having to go through that.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 AM

34 posts, read 197,681 times
Agree with you all. Twin Falls is really challenged with jobs and the problem with being too descriminitory unless you belong to a certain "faith". Plus the fact that they have just built a huge temple there and created one of the biggest eyesores you will ever see. I would much rather look at Evel Knievel's ramp than at that building.

My wife's family is all from Twin. Most are in the Boise area now and love it. Most went to Boise State University and then stayed as there is much more to do and LOTS more job opportunities. My in-laws are still in Twin. They have been there over 40 years and have adjusted to the problems that can dog smaller towns.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
Yes, I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Any small community can sometimes be rough. A lot of young people from Twin make their way to Boise - "the big city." Most of South Idaho can be rough when your not a LDS. Boise is much better but it is still a part of life that isn't common in other places.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:52 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMCSR View Post
Plus the fact that they have just built a huge temple there and created one of the biggest eyesores you will ever see. I would much rather look at Evel Knievel's ramp than at that building.
I'm not a mormon but live very close to the temple here. And it is not an eyesore. Every temple I've seen is pretty damn neat looking.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:52 PM

8 posts, read 122,344 times
Just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and understanding.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 37,112 times
My husbands job may be transferring him to Twin Falls from Portland Oregon. Is this a bad thing? We do not practice any religion in our house and a few of you have mentioned religious prejudice in this town. Is this a real problem? Is it a mormon based town? How is it to raise a family in Twin Falls? What are the elementary schools like? Help.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 29,154 times
I lived in Kimberly during elementary school and junior high. Just about every protestant denomination is represented there, not just the LDS church. It's a charming little town with lots of parades and festivals. There is also a lot of support around the schools. Mayor Overacre is a good guy. His dad used to be the pastor at the Baptist church. Give it a look-see.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 28,754 times
Hi ShanniButler

I was wondering if you did move to Twin Falls and how you like it? I am in the same position you were in, so I am curious if it worked out for you.

Thanks,

Melissa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho