Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 01:24 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times

Advertisements

Hey- if its your trailer, why not live in it while you're looking? I see no need for the extra expense of an apartment, as you will likely use the trailer after you are settled and your family joins you.

There are several long-term trailer parks from Pocatello up to Idaho Falls. I would suggest looking them all up well before you plan on coming, and try to reserve a spot in the closest one, then work outward. A commute from I.F. to Poky takes about 50 minutes one way.

I've lived in small travel trailers for a few months at a time, as have several friends, and my brother and his wife found a cheap rental in the Phoenix area 2 winters ago when she discovered she had cancer and went to the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale. They needed to get the first place they could find, and they got by in a 22 footer for the winter. The good news is she's now cancer free, and the cheap trailer rent was affordable as their living expenses were thin after her treatment began. They now look back on it with very fond memories, even though they were tightly packed into it.

Go for it. I sounds like you've made your mind up. Welcome, stranger… you're just a friend I haven't made yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 08:20 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefam4 View Post
I understand that living in a trailer/rv for a little while while searching for a home isn't ideal, but compared to signing a lease at an apartment or anything like that it seems like the better and cheaper idea. I have looked into Cowboy campground in pocatello and they say it is around 400 a month for extended stay. If it comes down to that i think my wife and kids might stay here in cali while i travel up there and work. I have already put in my transfer for costco, but depending on if they have openings itll probably be a few months.

I have reseached many options and came to either renting something month to month or staying in our trailer. I plan to buy asap, but depending on what we find in the area affects that. We have already found a few homes we're interested in so hopefully everything works out.

Im always open to advice and ideas from everyone so dont be afraid to share input. I 100% understand that no matter what i do it is going to be complicated and expensive to move and figure things out, but in the long run i am confident that it will be better for my sons

Thank you
Lukefan4,

I'm not trying to be too harsh on you. I simply know that some living situations appropriate for an adult wouldn't be viewed the same for minor children. I like how pro-active you are. I don't claim to know all the trailer parks in Pocatello, Blackfoot and Chubbuck. I do think if you had to leave your family TEMPORARILY behind in CA and you live in a trailer, while finding a home, that sounds like a very reasonable solution.

I think it is good you found the trailer park in Poky and talked to them. I'd encourage you to make the most of this opportunity. You may want to try living and commuting from Blackfoot for a week or so. Then a trailer park in Poky and/or Chubbuck if Chubbuck has a park. That way you won't have to wonder if you should have lived in the other city.

If you've already requested your transfer, do you have any guess how long that might take? Do you have to wait for a similar position to yours opens in Poky?

We'd like to have a Costco in Idaho Falls/Ammon and indeed Costco has done the dance off and on for about three years. If Idaho Falls had one, then you would have two stores to have the opening you need. There is the need, but between the Sam's Club in I.F. and Costco stating they are watching how a specific, newer design does in Kansas or somewhere close to KS to decide on which design for I.F./Ammon, the company hasn't committed yet. If something happened and Pocatello didn't have an opening, would you consider Twin Falls? I'm not trying to get you to locate somewhere besides Bannock County, I simply don't know how Costco processes transfer requests to a specific location.

If for some reason things did not progress as quickly as you and your family would like, I encourage you to refine your plan and never give up! Good things happen when people are prepared. Sometimes the time frame is just a bit different.

MSR

Old 06-06-2015, 10:42 PM

8 posts, read 9,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hey- if its your trailer, why not live in it while you're looking? I see no need for the extra expense of an apartment, as you will likely use the trailer after you are settled and your family joins you.

There are several long-term trailer parks from Pocatello up to Idaho Falls. I would suggest looking them all up well before you plan on coming, and try to reserve a spot in the closest one, then work outward. A commute from I.F. to Poky takes about 50 minutes one way.

I've lived in small travel trailers for a few months at a time, as have several friends, and my brother and his wife found a cheap rental in the Phoenix area 2 winters ago when she discovered she had cancer and went to the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale. They needed to get the first place they could find, and they got by in a 22 footer for the winter. The good news is she's now cancer free, and the cheap trailer rent was affordable as their living expenses were thin after her treatment began. They now look back on it with very fond memories, even though they were tightly packed into it.

Go for it. I sounds like you've made your mind up. Welcome, stranger… you're just a friend I haven't made yet.

thanks for the advice. ours is a 30 ft so im thinking itll probably be okay. I appreciate the friendship, it means a lot with this move going to happen and us knowing no one. thanks again.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:21 PM

8 posts, read 9,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Lukefan4,

I'm not trying to be too harsh on you. I simply know that some living situations appropriate for an adult wouldn't be viewed the same for minor children. I like how pro-active you are. I don't claim to know all the trailer parks in Pocatello, Blackfoot and Chubbuck. I do think if you had to leave your family TEMPORARILY behind in CA and you live in a trailer, while finding a home, that sounds like a very reasonable solution.

I think it is good you found the trailer park in Poky and talked to them. I'd encourage you to make the most of this opportunity. You may want to try living and commuting from Blackfoot for a week or so. Then a trailer park in Poky and/or Chubbuck if Chubbuck has a park. That way you won't have to wonder if you should have lived in the other city.

If you've already requested your transfer, do you have any guess how long that might take? Do you have to wait for a similar position to yours opens in Poky?

We'd like to have a Costco in Idaho Falls/Ammon and indeed Costco has done the dance off and on for about three years. If Idaho Falls had one, then you would have two stores to have the opening you need. There is the need, but between the Sam's Club in I.F. and Costco stating they are watching how a specific, newer design does in Kansas or somewhere close to KS to decide on which design for I.F./Ammon, the company hasn't committed yet. If something happened and Pocatello didn't have an opening, would you consider Twin Falls? I'm not trying to get you to locate somewhere besides Bannock County, I simply don't know how Costco processes transfer requests to a specific location.

If for some reason things did not progress as quickly as you and your family would like, I encourage you to refine your plan and never give up! Good things happen when people are prepared. Sometimes the time frame is just a bit different.

MSR

thanks for the advice. Costcos transfer process is pretty straight forward. if they have an opening or could make room for me then we can work something out. The Pocatello Costco is honestly one of the slowest around and it sucks, but I have communicated with the GM and plan to meet with him in two weeks. I am open to looking at the Twin Falls building, but prefer to be in Poky.

Honestly I would love for this to happen asap because of our financial situation and the want to have a new beginning. again I thank you for all the advice and help and look forward to traveling up there.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:42 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
If you don't have to take a pay cut, I think your finances will improve here.
And possibly your chances for advancement, too.
A long time ago, I knew the first manager of Idaho Falls' Sam's Club; he was a Southerner and was a real fish out of water here at first, but he got his store off to a good strong beginning and was transferred upward a few years later.
Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho