Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:28 AM

672 posts, read 806,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Idaho will be receiving lots of Oregonians who are trying to escape from all the Californians who are flooding into Oregon, bringing all their progressive ideas and ruining the state.
LOL, Oregon lost that battle a very long time ago. I would state Oregon as a whole is now more progressive or the same as most of California outside of the Bay Area.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:47 PM

178 posts, read 602,919 times
I live in a conservative area of Western Colorado and due to a large influx of Californians and others from out of state we are all having to live with more progressive laws such as the legalization of marijuana. I have visited Idaho, Wyoming and Montana and I'm beginning to consider moving to a more conservative state. Cold weather is fine and my daughter is considering getting a PharmD so Pocatello is very high on our list. My wife and I are getting closer to retirement so we might be trading in our Colorado license plates for those of Idaho soon.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:00 PM

271 posts, read 388,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStone777 View Post
I live in a conservative area of Western Colorado and due to a large influx of Californians and others from out of state we are all having to live with more progressive laws such as the legalization of marijuana. I have visited Idaho, Wyoming and Montana and I'm beginning to consider moving to a more conservative state. Cold weather is fine and my daughter is considering getting a PharmD so Pocatello is very high on our list. My wife and I are getting closer to retirement so we might be trading in our Colorado license plates for those of Idaho soon.
Please move to Boise as I heard we need more conservatives there to fight the good fight!

Old 07-18-2015, 01:34 AM

102 posts, read 117,555 times
I feel that the idea of Californians moving to other places and ruining the world is some kind of Western US chimera that never really comes true. When I first moved to Seattle, the housing bubble was on the upswing and everyone blamed it on Californians. Then the bubble burst in 2008 and we all found out that it was because of Wall Street through many, many many news stories. Yet there are probably people today still blaming it on Californians. LOL

From what I have seen on the Boise forum, even though I don't even live in Boise yet, I am already annoyed with Californians because they are all writing posts like "I am going to move to Idaho because I am a racist, religious fundamentalist gun nut and I don't fit in in California." Meanwhile all the people on the Boise forum who have actually lived in Boise for a while are very nice, just normal people. I was somewhat concerned that I would be surrounded by racist, fundamentalist gun nuts if I moved to Idaho but participating on the Boise forum has pretty much alleviated me of that concern. I now know that they are in the minority and they are all from California. LOL

Old 07-18-2015, 02:58 AM

3,841 posts, read 4,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia M View Post
I feel that the idea of Californians moving to other places and ruining the world is some kind of Western US chimera that never really comes true. When I first moved to Seattle, the housing bubble was on the upswing and everyone blamed it on Californians. Then the bubble burst in 2008 and we all found out that it was because of Wall Street through many, many many news stories. Yet there are probably people today still blaming it on Californians. LOL

From what I have seen on the Boise forum, even though I don't even live in Boise yet, I am already annoyed with Californians because they are all writing posts like "I am going to move to Idaho because I am a racist, religious fundamentalist gun nut and I don't fit in in California." Meanwhile all the people on the Boise forum who have actually lived in Boise for a while are very nice, just normal people. I was somewhat concerned that I would be surrounded by racist, fundamentalist gun nuts if I moved to Idaho but participating on the Boise forum has pretty much alleviated me of that concern. I now know that they are in the minority and they are all from California. LOL
I have plenty of very religious neighbors and extended family surrounding me, and I'm not religious. I have friends who are very pro 2nd amendment, but I've never felt comfortable owning a gun. I've never been surrounded by racists. Not to say the three don't ever coexist, but they don't always, and being a racist is in a different category entirely.

Nevertheless, the percentage that justifies being a racist seems to have the impression that Idaho is the place to be even though people on this forum have again and again disproved that.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:31 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,321,378 times
Having lived in California quite a bit, I doubt that Idaho is about to be over run by Californians. There's WAY too much difference in culture, people, type of entertainment, etc.

The housing boom is still happening in the Bay Area, so people who are sorta, kinda, thinking of moving are thinking of all that money they'll have when they sell. Someplace like Idaho may look attractive when they look at the differences in housing prices and cost of living, but when you get down to it most Californians are going to be moving to Hawaii, Portland, Seattle, and the Southwest, especially Denver, when they actually move. My wife's sister is in Denver, and says there's been a huge increase in Californians that she's meeting.

For sure, the places that I mentioned is where I've met transplanted Californians. Here in Florida, in nearly 4 years I can count the number of cars I've seen w/ California tags on one hand. It was the same in Texas too. And those cars were probably people who were just visiting. I have never met anyone from California that moved over here, nor did I meet them when I lived in Galveston or San Antonio. These states are far too conservative to attract Californians (for me too it turned out, but that's where are our budget is at this time, unfortunately).

Also never met any racist, gun toting, religious fundamentalists in maybe 20 years of living in California. Texas and Florida, that's a different story :[

Boy, these are crazy times when someone says Colorado has gotten too liberal for them!!!

Last edited by smarino; 07-18-2015 at 06:57 AM..

Old 07-18-2015, 10:37 AM

209 posts, read 314,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia M View Post

Can't rep you again, but I like this post! I'm one of those horrible California liberals that are so demonized in this forum. However, I have friends and family who are conservative Christians and we don't hate each other or sit around arguing all the time. We know what each others' feelings are and we avoid those topics and are able to enjoy one another's company.

So, not everyone moving from CA is a far-right winger trying to "escape" the "evils" of liberalism. I don't even hate California. I just like Boise and Idaho. And I'm able to be friends with people with whom I disagree.

Last edited by FutureNorthender; 07-18-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-18-2015, 01:18 PM

29,180 posts, read 22,192,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureNorthender View Post
Can't rep you again, but I like this post! I'm one of those horrible California liberals that are so demonized in this forum. However, I have friends and family who are conservative Christians and we don't hate each other or sit around arguing all the time. We know what each others' feelings are and we avoid those topics and are able to enjoy one another's company.

So, not everyone moving from CA is a far-right winger trying to "escape" the "evils" of liberalism. I don't even hate California. I just like Boise and Idaho. And I'm able to be friends with people with whom I disagree.
You are far from alone. Most folks who move here have the same reasons in general, and politics isn't the most important one most of the time.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,248,518 times
Well, I'm very fond of Boise (and, yes, a conservative) and considering a move there eventually. Though I've been in Portland for a LONG time, I spent the first 23 years of my life in California. Does that still count?

Old 07-18-2015, 02:52 PM

192 posts, read 203,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStone777 View Post
I live in a conservative area of Western Colorado and due to a large influx of Californians and others from out of state we are all having to live with more progressive laws such as the legalization of marijuana.
I think I get your point. And I'm sorry you are actually thinking about moving due to a influx in California migrants.

But I'm not sure the legalization is marijuana is really progressive. It's a step towards more personal freedom, liberty and reducing the scope and role of government in our lives. To me that sounds conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho