Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:44 PM

181 posts, read 270,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
so if I am on my own property in the middle of the city and see a deer in my backyard I can blast away with my .50 BMG?
That is stupid question. Seriously, don't you think that is overkill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 05:24 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelshund20 View Post
That is stupid question. Seriously, don't you think that is overkill?
I agree, Teufelshund. The comment is especially extreme considering that Idaho has so little urbanity, and what urbanity exists is different than in some other states.

But at the same time, any hunter who hunts his own property, and is fully entitled to do so, has to be as responsible on his own land as any other. To me, that means owning a hunting license, honoring the regional season differences that pertain to hunting big game, and being aware of personal property's boundaries.

That may require choosing a different gun for a hunt, or a different bullet in a gun. With a bow hunter or black powder shooter, that may not apply, but other hunting provisions might, like baiting. Baiting is allowed for some big game and not for others. Ownership of livestock can sometimes make a big difference when it comes to hunting deer, elk, or other grazers, as hay and other domestic feed for a person's livestock is not considered to be bait. But the same hay bale could be considered to be bait in a field than holds no domestic livestock.
To further complicate that, if you grow a hay crop, or oats, or any other sweet feed on your land, even if you don't farm it yourself, it's not considered baiting either, most times. But if your place is untilled, or unfit for farming, scattering hay or oats in the timber could be considered to be baiting. Only the local Fish and Game office can inform a land owner on this, and if you seek their advice, you can bait if it's legal for your intended game.

The fact is no one likes to hear close-by shooting as a property owner out in the country. The louder the gun, the more the concern. Bullets miss their intended targets all the time, and while humans may not present much in the way of accidental targets, if a bullet kills a tractor or plows through a house or outbuilding, the odds are someone is gonna pay for that, and will, when there is evidence. That is especially true with the death of domesticated animals of any kind.

Even when nothing at all happens, random shooting is bad behavior, and makes for surly neighbors. It really pays to know your neighbors here. If nothing else, a committed shooter who calls a neighbor and lets it be known that the personal target range will be busy today is a very good way of making neighborly relations.

Being considered a slob shooter here can, and does, create hostility from others, and hostility tends to make itself present in many un-announced ways. Anyone who takes that advice lightly only needs to shoot a wandering dog to understand what community hostility can be like. And it ain't ever nice unless the dog is killing something when shot. Even then, forgiveness is in mighty short supply in this state.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:18 AM

36 posts, read 31,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. No one who lives in the trees loves to hear guns going off in the trees nearby. Just as it is in cities, gunshots often signal trouble for someone in some way, even if the shots don't always lead to trouble. Just like in town, the closer the shots are, the more one worries about their loved ones. About the only difference is, out in the country, some of those loved ones are as likely to be large animals like horses as people or dogs.

Kill a guy's dog, and you are in deep doo-doo. Kill his $25,000 horse, and you are in a big world of deep doo-doo. Put a hole through one of his windows and go to jail, and then face some serious long-time doo-doo.

Livestock and their owners have very lopsided rights here. If a person accidentally shoots a cow, horse, or any large domestic critter, he can expect to pay a very high penalty for his mistake, legally and socially.

Blasting away may be legal, but it's very seldom wise. Anyone with a gun here is supposed to have, and use, good judgement first and foremost, and when in doubt, unload the gun. This is as true in the boonies as it is in the middle of town anywhere here.
Yea, I cant imagine firing a weapon in an area that is somewhat residential, 5-10 acre lots. In some states you will end up in jail. If I was so desperate to hunt on my limited property, I would use primitive weapons (that season usually is a week or two before regular season in most states) like a crossbow or compound bow (not blackpowder).

As far as dogs go, it is my understanding ppl will shoot your dogs if they are on their property and they have livestock. The three S's, shoot 'em, shovel 'em, and shaddup, is what I have heard. We are looking at 7' tall predator proof fencing to ensure our dogs stay inside (that includes an apron so they can't dig out either).

Old 05-22-2019, 08:44 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meleemadness View Post
Yea, I cant imagine firing a weapon in an area that is somewhat residential, 5-10 acre lots.
It really depends on your property. I have friends who live on a very flat 7 acres, and they built a large dirt berm to backstop their shooting range, and they shoot there frequently. We have 20 acres, and we have some natural terrain that gives us a good backstop for shooting, but I don't feel safe to shoot anywhere or in any direction on our place. Some folks I know shoot regularly on properties as small as 1-2 acres. It's all about being aware of what's behind your target and making sure you have a good backstop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meleemadness View Post
In some states you will end up in jail.
Fortunately, Idaho isn't like most states ....

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho