Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 05:48 PM

271 posts, read 390,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I can understand moving out of CA because of the water situation, O.P. but why to Idaho?

Come to Michigan where we have four distinct seasons and a reasonable culture.
Good idea. Everyone thinking about relocating to Idaho should take your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 06:53 PM

159 posts, read 354,534 times
Quote:
I can understand moving out of CA because of the water situation, O.P. but why to Idaho?

What about Idaho culture do you find unreasonable?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcda View Post
What about Idaho culture do you find unreasonable?
NO, NO, NO!

Michigan is much better. I just read it on the internet...so it must be true. Zenstyle said so.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:09 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:

Why Idaho? Because Californians know about Idaho much more than they know about Michigan.

Migration between Idaho and California has been going on for over 40 years. Early on, Idahoans moved there, and now it's just reversing. The west is the west.

I know a hell of a lot more about California as a native Idahoan than I know about Michigan; I married a Californian who had relatives here, and I spent time in Cali before I was married, and more time afterwards. It's a 2-day drive away. Michigan is another 2 days.

"Reasonable" is what one imagines it to be. The image comes from knowledge vs. lack of it. As a lifelong native, everything in Idaho is very reasonable to me in comparison to a state I know nothing of at all.

Even so, I know just enough about Michigan to agree with you in a generalized way. But that's just me. Most folks may not be as curious or aware of other alternatives as I am, and I was pretty sugarfooted as a young man, so I got around a lot more than most folks as well.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:43 PM

271 posts, read 390,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
NO, NO, NO!

Michigan is much better. I just read it on the internet...so it must be true. Zenstyle said so.
Letting it hang out a little this holiday weekend, aye Sage?

Old 09-06-2015, 09:23 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:

I hear that you can purchase a house in Detroit for a reasonable price.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:23 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I hear that you can purchase a house in Detroit for a reasonable price.
And that's the problem with Michigan. Like Idaho was forever, with its little band of Nazis, no one in the West knows much about the rest of the huge state. No one east of the Intermountain West knows those Nazis were run out 24 years ago. No one out here knows anything about Michigan except Detroit is located in it.

Michigan's upper peninsula is like the Idaho panhandle on steroids. Same kind of territory, but a lot more of it. Much better redoubt country than Idaho for the preppers; Michigan even has an island in Lake Superior that's a lot closer to Thunder Bay in Canada than to the rest of the state.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And you probably said the same thing in the early 90s, it is human nature whether someone moves from CA to ID, NY to TN, TN to CA to start comparing places. People know what they're used to, cut them some slack.

Now if someone is saying this after years of living in a different state, than yes that is annoying, but regardless of where people move to an adjustment time is normal.
Actually, no I did not. California was suffocating me to the point of irritation, our move was a breath of fresh air.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:57 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I tend to think a short visit is worse than no visit at all. It's very easy and quick to see what a person wants to see here; anything you see in a photo is better in real life, and all the superficials a person hears about are readily observed, but it takes longer to learn what the downside stuff is, sometimes a lot longer.

No one is going to be very cautionary here on the forum regularly. Boosterism prevails here, and the relatively rare post that is critical of life here is soon gone, as it is in any forum. A grain of skeptical salt is always needed whenever a place looks too tempting from afar- there is always a down side in any paradise.
This is a tremendous post and discussion between you and MSR.

It cannot be said enough. You are spot on here.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:01 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
The sad reality is that CA influence/culture has already tainted Boise and CDA too much for me already and eventually it will spread through most of the state. This is why CA migrants get a bad rap, even if they don't like rap . Once you wallow in that kind of cesspool that CA is, it must be hard or impossible to scrub it all clean. It may not be an easy pill for well-intentioned CA folks to swallow, but I think it is true nonetheless. This is why it is of the utmost importance for CA transplants to be extra vigilant about making sure that Idaho does not get further tainted by the culture they leave behind. The same goes for other transplants too, but not nearly as much as CA.
I don't think it has anything to do with the Californians themselves, or whatever culture or perspectives they bring. It's not like Idaho culture is monolithic either.

It has everything to do, simply, with there being more people. Since more of them come from California (and because they typically have more wealth and resources), they are singled out.

More people tends to bring all of the negative aspects of life with it, along with some of the more positive and necessary. Double edged sword.

I for one would take a less vibrant economy, less bustle and culture, lower home values, for having fewer people to compete with on the river, in the mountains, and on the streets and highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho