Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 03:24 PM

199 posts, read 315,850 times

Advertisements

Parachuting beavers! A 14-minute “color film” (circa 1950 and complete with audio) produced by the Idaho Fish and Game Commission to show trapping and transplanting of muskrat, beaver and martin.

Note: Youtube may want you to sign-in based on age restrictive content....it's the word "Beaver" that does this and I'll just leave it at that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APLz2bTprMA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 04:44 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Leslie Nielsen said it best: "Nice beaver!" (Naked Gun)

I actually saw a nature show not too long ago about a wife-and-husband team who have made it their life's work to transplant beavers back into former beaver dam areas in the Rockies, with great success. Good for the entire ecosystem. I think one of their areas was North Idaho. It was such an upbeat show, everybody was happy and energetic, including the beavers! I'm still hoping to hear the slapping of a beaver tail on water, some early NID morning...

Old 10-25-2015, 09:00 PM

291 posts, read 438,084 times
Airborne Beavers, who knew?

Airborne All The Way!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:03 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,336 times
I wonder if they got Jump pay???
Scott

Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
There were airborne fish back then too. Fish & Game stocked mountain lakes with trout dumped out of fire bombers the year after forest fires.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:10 PM

291 posts, read 438,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
I wonder if they got Jump pay???
Scott
They should have, and equal pay what the Office Beavers got.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para View Post
They should have, and equal pay what the Office Beavers got.
Defiantly equal pay!!
You could not pay me to jump out of a good air plane!!
Scott

Old 10-27-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There were airborne fish back then too. Fish & Game stocked mountain lakes with trout dumped out of fire bombers the year after forest fires.
I remember a show i was watching a few years ago. Seems like the Fish and Game in Wyoming or Montana, maybe both! Were restocking trout in lakes in the hard to reach area's around Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's. They were using float planes as i recall, to dump the trout in the lakes.
Really was a good progream to watch.
Scott

Old 10-27-2015, 09:13 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
About beavers: I've been on a Grey Owl mission lately. I probably need to explain that: Grey Owl was a celebrated Canadian Indian writer in the 1930s, and my dad actually read his book about the Beaver People aloud to us when I was a kid. It took me a while last year to find out who the author of that book was--okay, so it was Grey Owl. Except he was not a Canadian Indian. After his death it was revealed that he was actually 100 percent British, and had made his way to Canada when he was in his late teens, and charmed his way into being adopted by a Canadian Indian tribe, which had been his dream ever since he was a young orphan in London. It is really quite a story! So as an adult he becomes the most celebrated spokesperson for the indigenous tribes in Canada, "Finally the Red Man Speaks!" and that kind of promotion. Books, public lectures, you name it. He even went on a promo tour back to England, in buckskin. And then, after his death, the story balloon inflated, and he was "disgraced." The thing was, he was the first voice for preservation of Canadian wilderness, and he was very eloquent and a great storyteller. He was really responsible for a whole new view of saving and restoring beaver habitats. So now there is a new narrative growing about Archie "Grey Owl," where he is viewed as a European who managed to live the dream and helped save his beloved, adopted environment.

They even made a movie about him, with Pierce Brosnan, "Grey Owl." I just watched it, and it really is a bittersweet, compelling story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: