Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:43 AM

271 posts, read 390,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
Clearly you missed the two day old post on exactly the same topic that was discussed just after the events in Paris over the weekend. As Sage mentioned, that post was deleted.
Sage deleted the thread due to a technicality as he adheres carefully to the forum guidelines. Now that we have brought the discussion more specific to Idaho, it can technically be allowed.

I think the horrendous events happening in Paris and the fallout unfolding all over Europe is a reminder of what we face if we recklessly allow refugees and even illegal aliens into our state under the guise of tolerance, diversity, political correctness and world unity/peace, etc. I fear that those of you who oppose extreme caution with regards to both refugees and illegal immigrants are naive and/or ignorant of the threat to our citizens and identity.

I see that several state governments are taking a proactive approach to thwarting the efforts of the Obama administration and ISIS by speaking out against allowing refugees into their states given the current world situation and the absolute failure of this administration in regards to the whole thing.

This brings us to Idaho...we as citizens should impress upon our elected officials from the city through the state to keep us safe by not risking our safety and identity through allowing refugees and illegal aliens into our state while the threat remains great. Illegal aliens, however, should never be allowed into the state. Illegals are and always will be a greater threat because they are in essence un-vetted refugees.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:19 AM

332 posts, read 482,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Is there a limit?
As I already pointed out, my comment was directed at the fact that this EXACT thread already existed and was thoroughly discussed. Then it disappeared.

Of course there's not a limit, but please take the time to read what is posted instead of jumping to conclusions.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:43 AM

Governors of 4 States Not Allowing Syrian Refugees

Precedence is starting for this kind of closed-door security at the state level, and Idaho could follow suit with larger states like Texas in the fight. Regardless of how legal it is, it shines a spotlight on the continued disparity between states' rights and federal policy.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM

820 posts, read 1,738,682 times
Honestly, this is going to turn into a witch hunt. Paris is a horrible event, but lets put it into a bit of perspective. Paris is a a country located on a direct piece of land connected to Islamic countries. Their muslim population is in the MILLIONS, and ours would be as high as 2000 from what I have been reading. There are radicals in all religions (look at the crusades) and that is something to remember. With that said, Muslims need to stand up and stand against this if they do not want to be labeled terrorists, and I think that is the biggest problem. Moderate Muslims don't do enough to distance their culture and identity from extremists.

Now we can't nuke them like we did the Japanese. It wont work. Japanese have a sense of honor and have sense of intelligence that these animals don't have. Nuking them will only make them more desperate. Normally I want to help people, but in this case there is absolutely nothing we can do. We have continually meddled and made this situation worse. If the world would come together and stop trying to police them, stop trying to convert them, and stop trying to control them, and quarantine them, make them deal with their own problems, make the people stand up to the extremists, then I think we would have a resolution.

Our country spends so much on the military to go and start wars that don't need to be started, to police countries that should be forced to deal with their issues, and not have us deal with them for them. You have a society that is built on war mongering (america is getting that way, but we don't have to be) for thousands of years, they know nothing else. It's time for them to grow up and deal with their problems as a culture. America needs to get the hell out of their issues, and everybody else's for a while unless provoked and focus on our own shortcomings which are very apparent.

Refugees coming to Idaho are the topic, and honestly I believe we have nothing to worry about from them. Should they be under scrutiny? Yes. Should they have some sort of system where they are monitored? Yes. But to label them just because of where they came from is just bigotry. Be just like saying people in Idaho are incest lovers who eat potatoes.

To me, I would spend a bit of time and get to know a few of them, worst that come from is that you learn a bit about a part of the world you have no idea about. Best case, you see something that helps you understand a bit between what makes that person different from a extremist.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:29 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,834,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Because how do you limit discussion of this issue to just Idaho? This thread will only bring out xenophobia and ignorance.

Look, it's a very germane topic. It's important to discuss. But it should be discussed with some nuance, and you're just not going to get that without going far beyond the scope that Sage is (rightfully) limiting.
I think it would be a bit facile to label this a "xenophobia" (VLOL, I understand you are simply saying that it could bring out xenophobia so I'm not specifically going after you here). As an Idahoan, I can be suspect of relocating people to our state from a single regional conflict or country (especially in light of what's happening around Europe, not just Paris).

I am personally in support of Idaho severely curtailing future acceptance of refugees until we're seriously convinced the vetting process is working to near perfection. Why? Because I don't believe our federal government has the competence to operate a vetting process to even a passing standard, but the states are then stuck with the aftermath. I only have to look at our southern border to form an opinion about governmental incompetence in this more general arena. If it comes to my Idaho tax dollars or federal tax dollars spent to relocate refugees, I'd rather "spend" my money (even if it's only symbolic as a minuscule true percentage) relocating them to other muslim-majority countries in their region (and Jordan can't continue to do all the heavy lifting for their neighbors). And that will be my input to my elected Idaho officials. It doesn't mean that "Idaho hates muslims" or any other label that may be improperly applied. I don't hate muslims, Syrians, or refugees in general. But, as our federal government continues to barely creak along along doing nearly everything poorly, Idaho needs to protect Idahoans and this would appear a proactive step in that direction that has no cost to our state populace.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:51 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,873,669 times
I think we should round them all up and put them in camps, perhaps near Kooskia and Minidoka. Lets round-up all the other Arab folks, too. For, you know, their own security (wink-wink).

The above was sarcasm. We can't allow fear to take charge here. We need a vetting process, but we do need to allow refugees. The terrorists win when we react out of fear and ignorance.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:11 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
If you want to have your voice heard in Idaho re: refugees being brought into the state please call Butch Otter's office in Boise. They are taking a tally of Idahoans opinions for and against the matter.

Please Call: 208-334-2100

Old 11-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
If you want to have your voice heard in Idaho re: refugees being brought into the state please call Butch Otter's office in Boise. They are taking a tally of Idahoans opinions for and against the matter.

Please Call: 208-334-2100
Doesn't get more representative than that. Thanks for the information Juneau.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:17 PM

731 posts, read 957,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Because how do you limit discussion of this issue to just Idaho? This thread will only bring out xenophobia and ignorance.

Look, it's a very germane topic. It's important to discuss. But it should be discussed with some nuance, and you're just not going to get that without going far beyond the scope that Sage is (rightfully) limiting.
I'm sorry, but I think quite a few people can discuss this issue and not be "ignorant".

I realize you, personally, don't believed that, but why not give them (us) the opportunity?

If they can do so without violating the TOS, they should be allowed do to that.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:19 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,873,669 times
I love how this thread is devolving. Instead of discussing the topic, we're having a discussion about discussing the topic. How meta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho