Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 AM

684 posts, read 812,419 times

Advertisements

Whats the life like out here? My wife and i are laid back people that enjoy the outdoors vs staying inside watching garbage TV all day. We are pretty much care free, do your own thing, and dont judge anyone based off race, color, or religion. Besides being outdoor to go hiking, camping, fishing, biking, atv riding, we like to be somewhat close to stores and restaurants. We are not church goes and dont care for it either.

When i say close i mean like i dont mind driving 15 minutes to get into town, i just dont want to live too far away into the woods somewhere lol. We have a 8 month old baby so if any emergency comes up we need to be able to respond quickly.

Looking to raise my family in a clean, safe, good area that is affordable and not taxed out the butt. Places we have lived in is NJ, CT, and TX. Have visited almost all of the other east coast states. Are the winters as bad as ours here on the east coast?

As far as taxes go, are they reasonable and hows the education system out there? And it seems like ID is a nice gun friendly state too, thank god ! lol

As far as work goes, i can do anything from food industry, customer service, sales, or manufacturing. My wife does administrative type of work. Is the state business friendly for small mom and pop shops? I am looking to open up a pizza and grill food industry back up again.

Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 10:42 AM

424 posts, read 580,635 times
Sounds like Idaho is for you.
State Sales Tax of 6%....get a grocery refund off your State Income tax.
99% of Idaho is safe, clean, and affordable
Property tax is dependent on the county, some are high (Ada-which is Boise) others are reasonable to low. We live in Canyon County on 1 acre with manufactured home. Our property was valued at $104,900 and after homeowners exemption of $52,450 paid $797.10 on $52,450 for a tax rate of 1,5%
As far as education, you'll have to ask someone with children. However, this is a Charter School friendly state
As far as Idaho and firearms. Let's put it this way. Idaho is one of the most Conservative states, We allow open carry and we are a shall issue state.
I would say that Idaho is a business friendly state, but one would have to look at the individual towns for opportunities and employment.
If you enjoy the outdoors without having to drive too far (depending on your definition of too far) again it depends what part of the state you live in. Most parts are easy access to outdoor recreation.
To sum up. I left Idaho in 1961 to join the military, retired from the military and moved to the Portland area until 1997 when we sold the house and moved into a motorhome. Traveled the US until 2006, when we bought land here south of Nampa, put a manufactured home on it and we haven't regretted the decision since. Saw a lot of the country in 9 years and we picked this area to live.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
Sounds like Idaho is for you.
State Sales Tax of 6%....get a grocery refund off your State Income tax.
99% of Idaho is safe, clean, and affordable
Property tax is dependent on the county, some are high (Ada-which is Boise) others are reasonable to low. We live in Canyon County on 1 acre with manufactured home. Our property was valued at $104,900 and after homeowners exemption of $52,450 paid $797.10 on $52,450 for a tax rate of 1,5%
As far as education, you'll have to ask someone with children. However, this is a Charter School friendly state
As far as Idaho and firearms. Let's put it this way. Idaho is one of the most Conservative states, We allow open carry and we are a shall issue state.
I would say that Idaho is a business friendly state, but one would have to look at the individual towns for opportunities and employment.
If you enjoy the outdoors without having to drive too far (depending on your definition of too far) again it depends what part of the state you live in. Most parts are easy access to outdoor recreation.
To sum up. I left Idaho in 1961 to join the military, retired from the military and moved to the Portland area until 1997 when we sold the house and moved into a motorhome. Traveled the US until 2006, when we bought land here south of Nampa, put a manufactured home on it and we haven't regretted the decision since. Saw a lot of the country in 9 years and we picked this area to live.
Sounds amazing ! I kid with my wife and tell her lets just get a 5th wheel and turbo diesel Cummings and live all over the country lol but that's not happening.

See out in NJ we had a 1800sqft house on .75 acres in on decent town paying 12,000 a year just in property taxes. Then Tate income tax , tolls, high utility costs, expensive car insurance.

Was in TX by Austin , liked it just the summers are very hot and the state is almost too flat for me be we are thinking about moving back but to Dallas. Still not sure tho , have some options. Like me the fact that it was affordable to live in , nice people , laid back , and houses weren't crazy expensive . The drawback was the outdoors , it's just not there lol.

Being in CT , it's great open country hills , mountains , lakes , rivers , but the state is just too old , no growing economy , getting pricey as well , and taxes on every single thing possible . Plus the state just doesn't operate properly at all.

I would say we are in between when it comes to politics and beliefs.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:34 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Idaho's terrain is more diverse than any other state in the lower 48. One of the things here is, no matter where you choose, wilderness is always no more than 30 minutes away. This makes outdoor activities both plentiful and easy.

In general, N. Idaho is all alpine, with lots of rolling mountains and lakes. The state's center is all wilderness that stretches across the entire state from east to west and is mostly roadless and untouched primitive wilderness. The southern part of the state has a lot of high steppe, rolling farmland, lava flows in the Arco Desert, and it's alpine areas are generally along the S.E. border. The Rockies make up Idaho's eastern boundary.
In general, the outdoors is more extreme in the south. The alpine areas are all higher and so are the mountains, which are also more rugged. The area north of Ketchum is directly comparable to the Alps.

The S.E. corridor isn't quite that extreme, and it's where most of the population in the south is, south of Boise, which is more or less in the center of the state.

The only way you'll know what would suit you best it to come out and spend some time. Every region has it's own thing. It would help you to read back through the older topics here, as all of your questions have been asked and answered before. Trying to find detailed answers on so many at once would require several hours of writing to fill you in in a single post.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Idaho's terrain is more diverse than any other state in the lower 48. One of the things here is, no matter where you choose, wilderness is always no more than 30 minutes away. This makes outdoor activities both plentiful and easy.

In general, N. Idaho is all alpine, with lots of rolling mountains and lakes. The state's center is all wilderness that stretches across the entire state from east to west and is mostly roadless and untouched primitive wilderness. The southern part of the state has a lot of high steppe, rolling farmland, lava flows in the Arco Desert, and it's alpine areas are generally along the S.E. border. The Rockies make up Idaho's eastern boundary.
In general, the outdoors is more extreme in the south. The alpine areas are all higher and so are the mountains, which are also more rugged. The area north of Ketchum is directly comparable to the Alps.

The S.E. corridor isn't quite that extreme, and it's where most of the population in the south is, south of Boise, which is more or less in the center of the state.

The only way you'll know what would suit you best it to come out and spend some time. Every region has it's own thing. It would help you to read back through the older topics here, as all of your questions have been asked and answered before. Trying to find detailed answers on so many at once would require several hours of writing to fill you in in a single post.
Sounds great and yes i have been going thru old posts as well but its always nice to get all the up to date information as well. I have seen many youtube videos and the place looks great, checked out prices on houses which are very affordable. Was about to get some more detailed info about the state itself from here about the statistics.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:36 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Idaho's terrain is more diverse than any other state in the lower 48
Sorry, Mike. I would have to disagree and say UT is more diverse. From the high plateau desert in the southeast with the canyons and fantastic red rock formations, to the desert in the southwest and the high mountains in the Northwest, starting with the book cliffs and going north to the high Uninta wilderness is more diverse. Those are deserts; Arco desert doesn't even compare; I've driven through both, and lived in one.

And the mountains in UT are higher. (Did you know that Mt. Peale, just south of Moab is higher than the highest peak in ID?)

But I love ID. Just had to josh you a bit And I love the fact those high altitude Alpine areas are very close to home.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:19 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Sorry, Mike. I would have to disagree and say UT is more diverse. From the high plateau desert in the southeast with the canyons and fantastic red rock formations, to the desert in the southwest and the high mountains in the Northwest, starting with the book cliffs and going north to the high Uninta wilderness is more diverse. Those are deserts; Arco desert doesn't even compare; I've driven through both, and lived in one.

And the mountains in UT are higher. (Did you know that Mt. Peale, just south of Moab is higher than the highest peak in ID?)

But I love ID. Just had to josh you a bit And I love the fact those high altitude Alpine areas are very close to home.
Utah is a spectacular state for true. The Arco Desert is mis-named; it's not a true desert, it's a dry steppe, made drier only due to the lava flows that run through it. Utah, however, does have true desert and a lot of it.
Points well taken, f5! For the diehard outdoor enthusiast, Utah's much milder winter climate in the south end of the state also makes it year-round for the folks who love to love to drive rugged terrain in/on a wheeled vehicle. That can make for a long winter's blues to go away after a weekend spent down there in the red rock country.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:02 AM

But we had our share of snow in southeastern UT.....
Southwest of Moab, Lasal Mountains

Northwest of Moab, Monitor and Merrimac Mesas

But sure is hard to beat the Sawtooth mountain views outside of Stanley ID....

(ALL PHOTOS WERE TAKEN BY YOURS TRULY, THUS PER US CODE, HAVE A COPYRIGHT OWNED BY YOURS TRULY. THEY ARE LINKED OVER FROM MY PHOTOBUCKET WEBSITE AND ORIGINAL .NEF (NIKON EXCHANGE FORMAT) FILES ARE ON MY BACKUP DRIVES AND CAN BE PRODUCED IN A COURT OF LAW. THIS INFORMATION IS ADDED TO INFORM THE MODERATORS THAT I AM NOT USING PHOTOS FROM ANY SOURCE OTHER THAN MY OWN.)

Old 12-21-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
But we had our share of snow in southeastern UT.....
Southwest of Moab, Lasal Mountains

Northwest of Moab, Monitor and Merrimac Mesas

But sure is hard to beat the Sawtooth mountain views outside of Stanley ID....

(ALL PHOTOS WERE TAKEN BY YOURS TRULY, THUS PER US CODE, HAVE A COPYRIGHT OWNED BY YOURS TRULY. THEY ARE LINKED OVER FROM MY PHOTOBUCKET WEBSITE AND ORIGINAL .NEF (NIKON EXCHANGE FORMAT) FILES ARE ON MY BACKUP DRIVES AND CAN BE PRODUCED IN A COURT OF LAW. THIS INFORMATION IS ADDED TO INFORM THE MODERATORS THAT I AM NOT USING PHOTOS FROM ANY SOURCE OTHER THAN MY OWN.)
Beautiful pictures. What kind of Nikon are you using? Figured you were into photography with your username. I have a Nikon d7100 for casual use.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:57 PM

Yea, my F5 is retired and on a bookshelf. Too hard to get Fuji film correctly processed anymore.

Top photo was a D300, second one not sure, but believe D300 too; bottom two D700.

Not as into photography as I used to be.

If you are using google chrome as a browser, there is a nifty extension called EXIF Viewer. Once installed whenever you go over a photo on the internet; if the person left the exif file info, it shows the camera, lens opening and aperture. If the camera is equipped with GPS, and it downloaded to the file, it also shows a GPS icon and you click on that and it takes you right to the spot the photo was taken on google maps. Top and bottom two have the exif info with GPS locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: