Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:27 AM

49 posts, read 159,918 times

Advertisements

Some winters are lighter than others but you should always prepare for snow. Back in 1996 the CdA area had a horrible ice storm that did major damage and we went without power because of it. So 2007 was the next Big Deal of a winter we have had. Who is to say it will even snow at all next year. Or it could snow a lot...or more than it ever has. I obviously lack the gift to see the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 PM

59 posts, read 232,761 times
Sense Idaho is a four season state, how are the allergies in the Rexburg, Idaho Falls area?
I live in Missouri and we have four full seasons (usually) but I have a cold or allergies most of the time.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:20 PM

12 posts, read 18,464 times
being originallyfrom big sky country montana i find cda 's winters to be worse as when summer finally months later rolls in place it lasts only two months and you get cloudier wheatehr here in cda so its magnifies the intensity of the winters. Now if cda got say 6 mos of sunny hot wheather the winters would be welcomed but it seems like last year it finally cleared in late May early june and started getting cool again in late sept and im like man that didnt last long now its cold again, id say be carefull on moving to an area you feel is gonna be afairyland my opinion of north idaho is cloudy koooooldays more than hot clear comfortable days, sluggish small town economy instead of proespering oppurtunities for the majority and it makes it miserable i need some sunshine heat and good well rounded oppurtunities to financially survive and to be comfortable ive found if your not stressing about the crappy whetaher than its the god damn money situation and if you cant make aliving then yr not gonna feel good about yr self and theres a possiblity you and yr 2 kids could starve to death in a crappy conservative area like idaho id say be carefull thinking north idahos gonna be the paradise thatll change yr life as it might change it in a negative way you dont want beware is what i say

Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 AM

22 posts, read 84,369 times
Winters are rough, and, yes, you'll have some shock coming from a desert climate. You're right; summers are amazing! The area around the lake is some of the most spectacular country, but you have to enjoy snow and outdoor activities or you might go stir crazy locked inside all winter. [URL removed]

Last edited by suzco; 04-02-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 PM

180 posts, read 748,306 times
Default Spring has sprung!!

I just couldn't resist replying to this post. I live in Post Falls, and the two robins that have nested on our farm the last three years are back, the hiacynth and tulips are popping up, the sun is out, and it was pushing 50 degrees today.

Yes, we still have snow in our pastures, but there are large patches of 'dirt and green things trying to grow' as well.

We saw a wild rabbit roaming thru the other day....

The pheasant are acting like it is spring....

And the earliest of buds are on the trees in our yard as well.

SO! This is all about 3-4 weeks later than observed in the last 5 years we've lived here, but as bad as the winter was for many, and had it's challenges for us on the prairie where the snow drifts more easily, the winter wasn't THAT long ..... Admittedly, we have friends in the Rathdrum - Athol areas that are still having challenges with the snow, but there is rain due this week-end that should help take down the accumulation in quick order.

I've never lived in the desert, but lived in the Seattle area for 10 years. The gloom of gray days that were relentless to the sun drove me crazy. I can take the cold if there is sun. And we're much happier here with the 'cold' and the 'sun'!

It's all in the eyes of the beholder, and how they perceive things, I think.

Good luck. Hope you can visit Idaho soon!

PacaLady

Old 03-08-2008, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 11,750 times
Default It really is harsh

if you think it is warm when it hits 38 degrees...you have lived in n Idaho for a while!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:52 PM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
38 degrees !!
It's time to get out the motorcycles

Old 03-09-2008, 05:54 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
I have a friend who says Idaho is cold 15 months out of the year.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:29 PM

7 posts, read 14,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amykis5 View Post
WE ARE THINKING ABOUT RE- LOCATING TO COEUR D ALENE BUT TRUELY WORRY ABOUT THE WINTERS!! WE HAVE SEEN THE AREA IN THE SUMMER ( PERFECT) BUT CAN ANY OF YOU LOCALS REALLY FILL ME IN AS TO WHAT TO EXPECT FOR THE WINTERS?? WILL I HAVE A SHOCK COMING FROM THE DESERT CLIMATE?? HOW LONG DO THE WINTERS REALLY LAST? I WAS TOLD SOMETIMES IT CAN LAST UP TO 6 MONTHS!! OUCH! DOES THE SUN EVEN COME OUT IN THE WINTER MONTHS?? VERY IMPORTANT!!!
tHANKS~
i moved up here in 90, from phx, after having 15 yrs in az. the first year, (winter) i recommend, long johns, then maybe by the second year, you will have climatized to the cold. this thursday it will get down to 9 deg. , its been colder, when the artic winds blow south. yes, winter normally lasts 6 months
sort of.. we have had snow, cold, rain, wind and sun, since winter has started this year.,
if you are moving here for work, good luck with that, most folks commuting to spokane. but even that market is tough right now..

Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amykis5 View Post
DOES THE SUN EVEN COME OUT IN THE WINTER MONTHS?? VERY IMPORTANT!!!
tHANKS~
I find it funny how when we have a year or two of mild winters a lot of people move to the area. Then we have a hard winter and there are so many houses up for sale. I would not move to the area if you are not up for living in a area that gets really cold and a decent amount of snow in the winter.

I sure hope your sun question was in jest. Yes the sun comes out. It may be a bluebird sunny day and be 20 degrees out. It is warmer a lot of the time when there is a little cloud cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
DO NOT MOVE HERE until you've stayed here for a week during winter, or you just won't be making an informed decision and you will probably regret the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho