Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 10:48 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times

Advertisements

Born. February 18, 1925 New York City, New York.
Died February 28, 2016 (aged 91) Middleton, Idaho, U.S. Residence Eagle, Idaho.
A WWII Veteran. Joining the U.S. military during World War II, he spent 16 years in that career until the late 1950s, when a back injury prompted him to find other work. He reached a rank of captain. His first notable screen role was a military advisor on the TV sitcom The Phil Silvers Show, where he served as a technical adviser, a role which Kennedy later described as "a great training ground".
He appread in a lot of the classic Western TV Shows of the Late 1950s through 1960s. And a lot of movies, including Cool Hand Luke.
RIP George Kennedy.
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 11:41 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Cool Hand Luke is one of my favorite "man movies"

George Kennedy (a.k.a Dragline) dishes on Paul Newman in 'Cool Hand Luke' | EW.com
In the movie, Dragline calls Luke a “natural born world-shaker.” After tracking down Kennedy, who now lives a quieter existence (read: no reps, and no listed phone number) on the outskirts of Boise, Idaho, the 83-year-old says the same could have been said of Newman-the-actor, despite Newman’s pretty-boy blue eyes. When Kennedy first met Newman on the set of Cool Hand Luke, the former had already worked with just about every A-list actor in the business and was “always deferential to them,” but “very seldom ran into one who was so much a master of what he did than Paul. He was everything you could ask for and more.”
Kennedy recalled shooting a scene with Newman in which Luke has just received word that his mother has died. In the scene, it’s raining outside; Newman hops on his bunk to play the banjo, and starts singing, “I don’t care if it rains or freezes / as long as I’ve got my plastic Jesus….” “Paul knew as much about playing a banjo as I know about making cakes, which means very, very little,” Kennedy explained in his throaty, southern drawl. “But he wanted to play his own accompaniment, and director Stuart Rosenberg and everybody else said, ‘You don’t learn to play banjo that easily.’ And he said, ‘No, I’m going to try.’ And [in] the scene you see, Paul makes an error. He wasn’t doing it the way he wanted and became madder and madder…although you can only [tell] by the increase of the pace of his picking the banjo. When it was over, it was magnificent. Rosenberg said, ‘Print.’ Paul said, ‘I could do it better.’ Rosenberg said, ‘Nobody can do it better.’ And that’s the way that came off. True story.”

Sounds like he led a fun and fulfilled life, many of us never get the chances in life these two men did!

RIP and prayers to the family!

Old 03-01-2016, 12:15 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Cool hand Luke has had a real impact on mine and my family's life for decades. I actually sang newmans version of that song to my children as a lulaby.

Rip to Kennedy

Old 03-01-2016, 02:03 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Thank you, George, for your service to your country and your career in entertaining us mere mortals in many memorable roles. You are one of the great ones. Enjoy your reward.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:01 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
George Kennedy played a tough guy on screen but was really

George Kennedy played a tough guy on screen but was really ‘a quiet man’

The Oscar winner was a longtime Eagle resident who “would never turn a fan away”

He died of natural causes Sunday in Middleton, coroner said

No memorial plans have been released

Read more here: George Kennedy played a tough guy on screen but was really
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho