U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:17 PM

19,371 posts, read 13,031,754 times

Advertisements

We don't have to sit around the same campfire and sing Kumbaya to get along.
Part of it is we are as fractious as anything else we are, so we watch ourselves from going too far most of the time.

But on a given evening, there will always be a couple of people having it in the middle of the street at 2 am unless its snowing or raining.

Like I mentioned, its a weak glue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 05:22 PM

742 posts, read 769,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Good stuff and I agree.

I do feel most contributors here do keep the Idaho/Boise forums at City-Data somewhat sane lol. There will always be the people who participate here who find delight in creating tension and spreading hyperbole big time and trying to scare people away who are interested in moving here and assuming what careers other forumers have, it is silly...(many of them are no longer members), a few still are.
Moderator cut: .

Look, the simple fact of the matter is that, by and large, people are pretty kind anywhere you go. Usually less so the more populated the place may be, whether you're comparing Idaho to California, or Grangeville to Boise.

Some places have a cultural attitude that is a bit more direct and aggressive (think Massachusetts), aloof (think Washington), friendly (the midwest, especially Wisconsin and Minnesota). Idaho is quite well known for being kind but reserved and somewhat inaccessible, same with Oregon and Montana.

I suppose I disagree with Banjo a bit, who is a bit more romantic and elegiac in tone. I've spent much of my life in and around southern Idaho - Boise, Twin Falls, Buhl, Hagerman, Wendell, Cascade, Garden Valley, etc. - and I don't think people are especially friendly or unfriendly. They will hold doors open for you and smile and wave, but that's really as far as the friendliness seems to go. Mostly they just want to go on about their business and be left alone.

Surprisingly the friendliest place I've been is Connecticut. When I visit Connecticut people seem to not only smile and wave and ask how you are, but would come help you at a drop of the hat. Despite being perfect strangers we were invited into a small local strawberry farm and told we could pick as much fruit as we could haul away.

So, as with everything on the internet snip there is no "best" answer, just a different answer and different experiences. In other words, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 04-21-2016 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: personal attacks deleted

Old 04-20-2016, 05:35 PM

166 posts, read 182,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
banjomike is posting the best comments in this thread.
That's pretty much true of any thread in which BanjoMike participates. I've worn out my rep button on his behalf many a time. Thanks, Mike.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 PM

Vandal said:
"I suppose I disagree with Banjo a bit, who is a bit more romantic and elegiac in tone. I've spent much of my life in and around southern Idaho - Boise, Twin Falls, Buhl, Hagerman, Wendell, Cascade, Garden Valley, etc. - and I don't think people are especially friendly or unfriendly. They will hold doors open for you and smile and wave, but that's really as far as the friendliness seems to go. Mostly they just want to go on about their business and be left alone."

I can't disagree with any of it. Sure, he's edgier than I am sometimes, but that's the difference between any 2 people. And I've got about 25 more years on me than most of you here, so natrually, I'm as prone to tinging what I say with nostalgia as other folks my age, even though I try to resist that as much as I can.
And as a musician, I've always been a sucker for a romantic phrase, especially if there's a dash of sadness in them. Good songs are full of them.

His point was sharper and more to the point, but he and I were trying to say the same thing- my post #23 may be softer and less to the heart of it, but that's what I tried to say; our friendliness has its every day limits.

A lot of it is superficial, but its all necessary grease to the social gears here. Like a lot of things of life, Idaho remains behind the modern day harshness of a lot of our present society. I think that's why so many folks are curious about how it is here these days.
No matter where a person lives, I think it's harder to make friendships in general now than it once was. I also think it's harder to find inner peace with what is constantly going on around us now too.

Simpler times of the past, however, were never as simple as we all would like to think they were. All of us are bombarded with complexities that none of us know all there is to know about all of them, or even part of them. And Americans like to think we are more plastic- able to bend and shape ourselves- more than we really can.

I think the truth is whatever a person is most comfortable with now, even if its not exactly truth. Most of what a person thinks is true nowadays has to be sweetened some with beliefs we have to swallow, because so much of it is sour and prickly.

The 21st century started us off with a huge dollop of very unpleasant thruths with 9/11, but we weren't doing so hot in the late 1990s as we think we were, and now, there's 15 years of divisions among us. We've all become accustomed to living with them without finding any way to work on them. Because its real hard work that will be a nasty undertaking.

That's how the turn of a century always is. The don't turn with the flip of a calendar page like we think, though… the changes always come after some time into the new century. The 19th and 20th were just like the 21st has been in this. Only the problems of change have differed.

And while the change is going on, people tend to fight like hell to keep whatever of the past is most precious to them.

Folks always say Idaho is 20 years behind the times. I think that's true. So for many of the folks I know, life is still like it was in 1996 right now, myself included. For sure, a 25 year old has a completely different outlook than mine about lots of stuff that's happening here.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:26 AM

742 posts, read 769,671 times
[By the way, my comment about your romantic and elegiac tone is meant with utmost respect and complements ]

Old 04-21-2016, 07:26 AM

6 posts, read 8,172 times
I definitely appreciate all of the insight. I certainly can't wait to get out there and simply check it out. From everything I have read, in culmination with this thread, the biggest impression that I have gotten about Idaho, specifically the panhandle, is it is a slower pace with a genuinely kind community. September cannot come fast enough!

Old 09-22-2016, 05:51 PM

3,572 posts, read 3,759,960 times
CDA from those I know up there ( being from dumpy AZ here) is far better than here. But closer to Boise, vs much better nearer Canada, even in republican-dominated ID, is worse. I know banjomike on here, who's a dearth of knowledge here, has much good to say of Southern ID -- even further down then the more northern CDA.

I think CDA though has become (again from other sources up there) very much encroached by Cali-types, & so far less conservative (but the WHOLE of the US is becoming less conservative ) & thus, moving north would be best -- in OP's desires.

Also, I personally vasilate 'tween American Redoubt turf (of eastern portions of both WA, OR & ALL of WY, MT & ID) as best destination vs other locales. I also consider back home WV, as I schooled there. Also went grad school in Maine & nearer to my old hockey-playing days.

So, I'm revisiting this thread to add updated comments as this yr goes & on closer to an election -- that seems so nebulous we may as well be in a foreign land -- let alone the old US that I grewup in.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 AM

4,989 posts, read 1,578,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Vandal said:
"I suppose I disagree with Banjo a bit, who is a bit more romantic and elegiac in tone. I've spent much of my life in and around southern Idaho - Boise, Twin Falls, Buhl, Hagerman, Wendell, Cascade, Garden Valley, etc. - and I don't think people are especially friendly or unfriendly. They will hold doors open for you and smile and wave, but that's really as far as the friendliness seems to go. Mostly they just want to go on about their business and be left alone."

I can't disagree with any of it. Sure, he's edgier than I am sometimes, but that's the difference between any 2 people. And I've got about 25 more years on me than most of you here, so natrually, I'm as prone to tinging what I say with nostalgia as other folks my age, even though I try to resist that as much as I can.
And as a musician, I've always been a sucker for a romantic phrase, especially if there's a dash of sadness in them. Good songs are full of them.

His point was sharper and more to the point, but he and I were trying to say the same thing- my post #23 may be softer and less to the heart of it, but that's what I tried to say; our friendliness has its every day limits.

A lot of it is superficial, but its all necessary grease to the social gears here. Like a lot of things of life, Idaho remains behind the modern day harshness of a lot of our present society. I think that's why so many folks are curious about how it is here these days.
No matter where a person lives, I think it's harder to make friendships in general now than it once was. I also think it's harder to find inner peace with what is constantly going on around us now too.

Simpler times of the past, however, were never as simple as we all would like to think they were. All of us are bombarded with complexities that none of us know all there is to know about all of them, or even part of them. And Americans like to think we are more plastic- able to bend and shape ourselves- more than we really can.

I think the truth is whatever a person is most comfortable with now, even if its not exactly truth. Most of what a person thinks is true nowadays has to be sweetened some with beliefs we have to swallow, because so much of it is sour and prickly.

The 21st century started us off with a huge dollop of very unpleasant thruths with 9/11, but we weren't doing so hot in the late 1990s as we think we were, and now, there's 15 years of divisions among us. We've all become accustomed to living with them without finding any way to work on them. Because its real hard work that will be a nasty undertaking.

That's how the turn of a century always is. The don't turn with the flip of a calendar page like we think, though… the changes always come after some time into the new century. The 19th and 20th were just like the 21st has been in this. Only the problems of change have differed.

And while the change is going on, people tend to fight like hell to keep whatever of the past is most precious to them.

Folks always say Idaho is 20 years behind the times. I think that's true. So for many of the folks I know, life is still like it was in 1996 right now, myself included. For sure, a 25 year old has a completely different outlook than mine about lots of stuff that's happening here.
Hey Banjo..howzitgoing?
I first came to CDA in 1977, a 25yo newlywed..fresh out of college and a baby on the way.
A small town then,with a 50's vibe. I was a bit disconcerted when they found a bomb in the Welfare office..LoL! But Butler and the Nations are long gone..and never did have the traction that many thought they did. I think my neighbor on Foster St. put it best..."I killed a bunch of Nazis in the war..wouldn't mind adding to the total!"
Over the years, money, job and concern for my kid's education took me to Spokane, where I lived for 20 years...enjoyed it there as well.
Now I'm in Twin Falls..and I'm very comfortable.
But I have a lot of family in the area..from Athol to Garwood--a Nephew in Huetter..etc.
They love it there..could not imagine living anywhere else.
I think a lot of the 'fringe' stuff gets amplified by people that don't have a clue.
Conservative vs Liberal? Not really an issue..if I feel like a fight..there's always C-D PaoC

Old 09-23-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Hey Banjo..howzitgoing?
I first came to CDA in 1977, a 25yo newlywed..fresh out of college and a baby on the way.
A small town then,with a 50's vibe. I was a bit disconcerted when they found a bomb in the Welfare office..LoL! But Butler and the Nations are long gone..and never did have the traction that many thought they did. I think my neighbor on Foster St. put it best..."I killed a bunch of Nazis in the war..wouldn't mind adding to the total!"
Over the years, money, job and concern for my kid's education took me to Spokane, where I lived for 20 years...enjoyed it there as well.
Now I'm in Twin Falls..and I'm very comfortable.
But I have a lot of family in the area..from Athol to Garwood--a Nephew in Huetter..etc.
They love it there..could not imagine living anywhere else.
I think a lot of the 'fringe' stuff gets amplified by people that don't have a clue.
Conservative vs Liberal? Not really an issue..if I feel like a fight..there's always C-D PaoC
I'm doing very well, Fleegle! Any rainy day in September after such a dry summer is an excellent day in my book, and we're getting a good soaker today.

I couldn't agree more with all of your comments. I especially appreciate your thoughts, as, like me, you have spent considerable time living in the various and much different areas that are so singular here, and your experiences in some of them are more recent than mine.

Your last sentences are both the truth of things.

Anyone who actually makes a move here is bound to think, no matter where they end up, that they just moved to the best place Idaho has to offer.
The fact is, Idaho is chock full of best places. Most of us, unless we take the time, trouble and expense to explore this magnificent state simply won't ever know which place could actually suit them best.

But the thing is, no one else can ever make that decision for someone else. And anyone's decision as to where the best place is can easily change over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or