Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 AM

18 posts, read 29,754 times

Advertisements

Hello
Contemplating moving from Florida to Idaho. Any folks out there who have done the same? Originally from CA but moved to Florida for job. Florida is not for me in the least for so many reason, especially the heat and humidity. I'm mostly wondering about two things.

The heat in Idaho compared to Florida's heat.
The animal welfare in Idaho. I'm a huge fan of animal welfare

Thank you..

Gabby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 08:54 AM

243 posts, read 230,306 times
I've considered that move myself, I'm currently in Florida, I can deal with the heat and humidity after 6 years here, but I don't see myself living out my life here. The appeal of Idaho is the geography (Florida has none), the forests and wild areas and the seasons. I grew up in the boonies of Michigan, and I want to get back to the boonies I love, just NOT in Michigan.

As for animal welfare, I really think we have enough humans on welfare, and I'm not a fan of letting animals apply for that too. They can't even fill out the paperwork!

Old 06-02-2016, 10:11 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
The family that built our house moved here from Florida in the late '90's. IIRC, both husband and wife were born and raised in Florida. He's a contractor, and he built the log home where we now live - quite a change I imagine compared to building in Florida. They eventually found another property they liked, but they do still live here in north Idaho and love living here.

Just a single example, but there are some that move here from Florida and love it.

Dave

Old 06-02-2016, 10:21 AM

181 posts, read 270,621 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedays View Post
Hello
Contemplating moving from Florida to Idaho. Any folks out there who have done the same? Originally from CA but moved to Florida for job. Florida is not for me in the least for so many reason, especially the heat and humidity. I'm mostly wondering about two things.

The heat in Idaho compared to Florida's heat.
The animal welfare in Idaho. I'm a huge fan of animal welfare

Thank you..

Gabby
I will be in Sandpoint in less than 2 months. What do mean by animal welfare? Idaho is a big hunting state, so I'm not sure how that would impact you. Idaho has heat in the summer, but cooler nights. As far as humidity is concerned, nothing compares to Florida. Well, Okinawa Japan has worse humidity, been there done that.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:52 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
To the OP, we came from CA to ID over 20 years ago and it was the best choice we ever made. We're in SE Idaho and prefer the 4 distinct seasons here to the two we had in the central valley; heat and fog!

As stated, Idaho is a big game hunting state. Having that said, it is also full of humane animal rescues.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:35 PM

Thank you everyone for your nice posts. LOL MsValsovik re Animal welfare. As far as hunting.. I could care less if someone shoots to eat. Trophy hunting/trapping is despicable.

You wouldn't believe how hot it was today. I came out of Home Depot and nearly passed out-gimeny crickets it's like living in the hottest shower you could possible stand 24/7 11.5 months of year. And Home Friggen Depot decided not to use the AC or it's up super high.

Speaking of Home Depot. As I was getting assistance from an employee, I mentioned I was contemplating moving to Idaho. He literally gasped and said, "Oh too cold... out in the boonies." I said Idaho not Iowa... He said, "Yeah I know. Next to Montana." From there I tried to explain and little more about Idaho but that was pretty much useless. Sigh.

I'm getting close to making a final decision within the next week or so, if I don't melt first or die from heat stroke. LOL

Old 06-02-2016, 06:41 PM

181 posts, read 270,621 times
Default Trapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedays View Post
Thank you everyone for your nice posts. LOL MsValsovik re Animal welfare. As far as hunting.. I could care less if someone shoots to eat. Trophy hunting/trapping is despicable.

You wouldn't believe how hot it was today. I came out of Home Depot and nearly passed out-gimeny crickets it's like living in the hottest shower you could possible stand 24/7 11.5 months of year. And Home Friggen Depot decided not to use the AC or it's up super high.

Speaking of Home Depot. As I was getting assistance from an employee, I mentioned I was contemplating moving to Idaho. He literally gasped and said, "Oh too cold... out in the boonies." I said Idaho not Iowa... He said, "Yeah I know. Next to Montana." From there I tried to explain and little more about Idaho but that was pretty much useless. Sigh.

I'm getting close to making a final decision within the next week or so, if I don't melt first or die from heat stroke. LOL
Many people trap in Idaho for a living. That's how they take care of their families. If you looking for a cooler place, maybe Western Washington could work? What is trophy hunting?

Old 06-02-2016, 06:43 PM

Yeah I read about trapping in Idaho. I find the practice appalling vs quick kill.

Checked out Spokane and not found of Washington politics.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:59 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
We actually have a fair amount who relocate from FL. We don't get humidity here like FL. Cold depends on you. A few I know missed the cold and jumped at the transfers to Idaho. This week is abnormally hot, as most Southern ID cities will bypass the 90 degree mark.

The only way to know, IMO, is visit. Plan to spend time in different areas of the state. Let us know when you plan to visit various cities. We can give you some tips.

Good luck making this decision.

MSR

Old 06-02-2016, 07:12 PM

Thank you MSR. I wish I was in a position to visit for a white but I take care of my Mom so it's gonna have to be a blind move or I may send my daughter out there to look for a few days. I have some friends in Meridian that love it there so I'm probably going to end up somewhere around there. Also, I have a serious health condition that prevents me from cooling down when it's got so humid so it's almost an emergency that we leave Florida as soon as possible. I know it's hot in the summer there but that is how it is supposed to be, hot in the summer, cool fall, cooler winter. Here it is hell almost 11 months out of the year. It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity here-it is just brutal.

I've got to sell my house here, buy one there and move forward.

I would love to get more tips from you for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho