U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,082 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband & I currently reside in CA. We are being driven out by an abundance of overbearing law makers who can't figure out how to simply enforce what laws they've already created & in an effort to gain more control over the ever growing population, they are disarming the good, law abiding citizens. We are conservative & tend to stick to ourselves. Our children are grown & will not be relocating with us. Moving is a definite. It's simply a matter of how soon. We will relocate in less than a year & I'd like some insight to the Twin Falls area from local, LONG TIME residents. Coming from CA. we are used to very sunny weather & extremely mild winters. My potted plants go dormant over the short winter but don't die. What can I expect as a Twin Falls winter? I've read that careers are very sparse and jobs are few and far between. My husband has a small home based business so we're not too worried about the job market. We are avid outdoor people; he likes to hunt coyotes & I enjoy running trails. We like to hike & look for rocks & minerals. Here on the west coast, we are able to frequent the ocean & look for agates. What stones are local to your area?
I only know about Idaho from reading so forgive my ignorance here. How predominate is Monsanto in your area? Currently, we reside in what is locally termed "far Nor-Cal". We are a short 2 hours from the Oregon border so the majority of ag crops are pretty far from us. The air streams move inward, not typically upward so we are gifted with generally clean air, free from toxic pollutants & chemicals. How do your gardens/flowers grow? If Monsanto is present, in what way are they present? Are there crops around your area? How is the crime? We live in Redding, CA which used to be wonderful, fabulous, a hub, etc. The good times have gone & liberal ideal have taken over. About a year ago, Redding contracted with San Francisco & several other big, central & southern California cities & took in some 1500 homeless people which has wreaked havoc on our once low crime city. The majority of crimes are now petty theft & the criminals know as long as they steal under $950 worth or items, they WILL NOT be prosecuted. Heroine used to be a dirty little secret. The secret is now very out in the open with people shooting up in Target parking lot, nodding out next to Cattleman's steakhouse & sleeping in the middle of the road. Law enforcement can only tell citizens to drive around them & stay away from them. How is drug use in your area?
My husband & I are simple, quiet, keep to ourselves type of people, tired of progressive CA "citidiots". We're looking for a quiet town which offers honest citizens who also live a mostly quiet life. My husband will need a couple people to sew for him for if your town has a Jo-Anns or similar store, that would be a plus.
Thanks so much for any information you'll provide, and again as stated above, please do forgive my ignorance about your area. I truly only know what I've read. You all are the first people I've gotten insight from who are on the ground. We have friends in Bonner's Ferry but that is obviously not in the same area as you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 01:05 PM

19,383 posts, read 13,050,331 times
Don't expect Idaho to be The Big Rock Candy Mountain.

We have petty crime, heroin, and all the other problems that are anywhere else.

What you won't see is a lot of graffitti, or a lot of street homeless, or a lot of cities that call themselves different names but are all actually just one big city. You will always see the wilderness out there on a horizon out here, with everything that comes in wild places. Even the tamest, most domesticated spot here is still semi-wild.

But what we do have in abundance is isolation, peace and quiet, and a do-it-yourself attitude. In an extremely beautiful place that is both bountiful and punishing by turns. The soil is S. Idaho is extremely rich, because its volcanic, and will grow just about anything that's planted. But our climate often goes to extremes, and is always unpredictable, all over the state.

Don't worry about the trifles. A Jo-Ann's is not a necessity in life; you will be able to find someone who can make clothing here, and they know where to get the fabrics they would need for your requirements. Don't expect to see a Target. Or even a Wal-Mart. Or a Home Depot.
They're all here, but so is everything you would need or want. You just have to live here a while and learn where your needs can be found.

You will also need to learn patience, because oftentimes, what a person needs will take more time to get than in California. That's the biggest difference between a state with 2 million people and 60 million people. Everything here moves at a slower pace, and everyone who stays learns to cherish the slowness. Since we don't have people surrounding us constantly, we use our slow pace life to visit with each other.

In most places, traffic jams simply don't exist. Lots of places have no traffic to speak of at all, in California terms. The pluses here are different from what you think they are right now, because realize it or not, you are much more accustomed to your way of life than the life you will find here.

While I don't live in Twin, I know the town pretty well; I have friends there, have spent a lot of time there, and like Twin just fine, although I like my home town Idaho Falls better. (Probably because this is my stomping ground. I know this territory like the back of my hand.)
Twin Falls is warmer and flatter than the long string of cities that lie on the SouthEast edge of the state. It's mostly agricultural, with lots of farms and especially dairy farms, as California dairies have been moving there for decades.

It's a hub city that serves a large surrounding area, as all the large cities in Idaho are, and is fine and dandy for putting down roots here. While the canyon is a real wowser- the Snake River canyon is over a mile deep and very spectacular, and defines the city limits on one side, the rest of the area is very pleasant.
But like it is all over here, there is a huge amount of very beautiful places nearby. If you want mountains, lakes, and alpine valleys, they're only about an hour away, and close to the biggest and best Idaho has.

Twin is also close to Boise, our largest city, and Salt Lake City is only a little farther away by Interstate. SLC is one of the largest metroplexes in the west now.

There are a bunch of smaller towns that surround Twin Falls. Kimberly, Jerome (on the opposite side of the canyon), Buhl, Wendell, Hagerman, Glenn's Ferry, and others. If Twin is too bustling for you, take your pick- the others are all much less bustling. All are going to be pretty quiet too- more than you think right now.

Come out and plan to spend some time looking around. A long day's drive in any direction will show you much more than you will ever learn here. Words alone won't ever give you the real experience you will need to make a decision that is best for you alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho