Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 09:53 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
I agree that I could hardly do Idaho justice in a few words..in truth, my post was more to inform than to inflame. I wish this thread to provide more than I ever could to inform a prospective resident of what is waiting for him/her, warts and all.

As for my utopia/ Does not exist, of course...and was not my intent to suggest one. I'm just saying that national statistics show that Idaho public school lag behind most other states in college placement and completion.

Idaho is a great place to retire..your fixed income will go further and the pace of life suits many retirees.

I guess what I'm saying, is that stating there are worse places to school your children does not in any way make Idaho Public schools better.
EvilEye,

I think this is a more accurate post, from your perspective. Obviously, there are issues beyond education. Perhaps further qualifying your comment for parents or guardians of pre-school -K public school education, what you would like to see change. Also, please add how you are helping in T. F. COUNTY improve public education.

I think aiden_is, you and I all care a lot about education. I agree with aiden_is as it appears he highlighted parental involvement as I did earlier. Others care as much as we. What do you know about the Idaho 2020 Initiative? I posted about that last year. Few responded. There was no discussion,which made me sad, actually, as there are some easy things to do to improve some of the numbers.

I don't dispute the numbers the state posts about high school and college, because I want that number to improve. But I am willing to say in Idaho Falls I'm far from the only one who disagrees with some of the numbers. An attorney here, whose wife was on the City Council for 1-2 terms, along with her other public volunteer work, wrote the realities for his family to show how not every headline or Stat is accurate. This attorney has three sons who are products of District #91 (Idaho Falls) School District. Two of his three sons would be considered "failures" by Idaho's current metrics published. They didn't attend College the fall after they graduated from high school. Thus they were considered in state stats as "failures.". Nothing could be further from the truth!

One entered the military and is now a third year resident in one of the most difficult medical specialties. Yes, he is doing his residency at a large military hospital. His second "failure son" per Idaho stats served a volunteer mission for his church. So no, he was enrolled in a technical school or college, instead he'd learned a foreign language and was living in a foreign country, given when his birthday was.

His statistically "normal child" had no problem attending to college and is well on his way to his goal of his graduate education.

I don't wish to derail this, but as I'm learning daily, Millenials are very different than Baby Boomers, Gen Xers and others. Look at the Obama daughter who is taking a year "off" before she attends Harvard. If she was in Idaho, she would be a statistical failure not continuing her higher education immediately after graduation. I serious doubt many are worried about her ability to succeed.

So back to the attorney I mentioned above, all three of his sons plan to return to Idaho to live. One will be a physician in a specialty we seriously need more of in the state, one will be an accountant in forensic accounting, I believe and one will follow his dad's footsteps and be an attorney. The attorney and his wife who has volunteered so much of her time serving others always were involved teaching their kids at home, requiring more than school did from their sons.

I'm aware of those who don't finish high school or work minimum wage with no additional training. Getting even 20-30% more of those students to obtain 1-2 years of college benefits not only them, but the state and other residents too. Some school districts are doing specialized programs to make sure that happens. Have you read about those programs?

There is a huge need for improvement in almost every district. I, for one, believe improvement starts at home. Whether it is volunteering X hours/week in the classroom, tutoring for no fee an after hours study group in a subject, asking a third grade teacher how you can help as she may need something different than what some assume, or other, you can make a difference. You also make a difference letting the third grade teacher know what your hopes are for your child and others and how many parents or other adults you have who also are willing to help and that you will be judging her, perhaps on mutual goals the two of you set, how well she's done. Likewise, she'll have to assess you. I do believe in accountability. I also believe if a new teacher doesn't think she can teach an excellent class, she most likely won't. When she knows parents are involved and she can contact them for help, how is that a negative?

Idaho has Magnet schools too. Part is educating (pun intended) perhaps other parents who have a child in the same class what is possible and how parents can be a force for change, then a community starts to understand better is possible by the teachers, students and parents.

I'd make a suggestion you start a new thread for the state with a positive name about how parents worked with their public school districts to help improve education. Not everyone can afford private school or want their kids in public school for other reasons. Why not get ideas from others?

I do realize this is a pros and cons thread about Idaho, not just education. I like your idea. The problem is so many different groups of people look at Idaho for different reasons. Keep posting, and contributing your observations and suggestions where you can. Perhaps just clarify like you did above what group of people may benefit most from your post.

I like having new ideas here and look forward to more of yours

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-12-2016 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 01:40 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
So - how would a couple of gun carrying, white, college educated, 4WD pickup driving, transgender lesbians and firearm instructors, who's friends are mostly redneck gun folks and cops and are from Arizona fit in in Idaho?

We just went to Yellowstone and spent several days in Idaho Falls. It's nice country there, in the summer anyway. We are looking for someplace to get out of the AZ heat from May - October.

One spouse needs a job in computers, engineering or IT - has degrees in Computer Science and Business. Other needs a job running a range or gun store or teaching folks defensive shooting.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:22 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Quote:
There is a limited social safety net. The state does not offer a short-term disability program, so if you get Cancer or have to take a medical leave, unless your employer offers a program, you're out of luck. Don't get hurt on the job...the Workman's Comp. is limited and the employer and the State are aggressive in limiting and fighting claims.
These are some of the reasons why Idaho is ranked 12th among the states in terms of fiscal soundness, compared, to cite a few examples, to New York at 42nd, California at 44th, Illinois at 47th, New Jersey at 48th, and Massachusetts at 49th. Hmmmm ... there may be a pattern there.

Quote:
It's buyer beware in the job market..if you get a good company you can do well. There are a lot of temp-to-hire staffing agencies..some work out and some don't. Just be aware that while you are working for said agencies you have very few rights and can be terminated for no cause. In fact, in Idaho, unless you have a contract with your employer, you can be terminated "at will".
Folks may be surprised to learn that California is also an "at will" employment state. Your employer can let you go at any time and for any reason.

Dave

Old 08-13-2016, 08:42 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,101 times
OK..sure. Is not my intent to open the boring and circular, Idaho vs. California, argument.

Yes, there are many reasons as to why Idaho is ranked high in fiscal soundness. Among those reasons are low population, and what some might see as a callous disregard for those less fortunate.

I'm not really sure as to what Idaho's "fiscal soundness' buys them. I just think that a little honey might be spared for the worker bees..

In the end, we live in a democracy where we can vote with our feet.

My intent in this thread is to help people make informed choices to that end.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:59 AM

Default Mea Culpa

Well heck, as I read Mtn. States highly informative post, I realized, that by those terms applied, I would be considered a 'failure' statistically. I left High School at 17 with a GED and joined the U.S. Navy. Four years later, I went to college and obtained my degree...then my advanced degrees.
By any reasonable standard, I've excelled both in my choice of career and in my family life. I have 4 great children and 7 grandchildren. 2 of my kids are college grads and working professionals. One is a stay-at-home Mom and my youngest, a GED boy as well...runs a website development company and could buy and sell the rest of us twice over.

So, while I hold to the thought that Idaho could do a lot better by its children...I apologize for even suggesting that college is the only, or even the best, indicator of how well the schools educate.

"There are lies, and then there are damn lies, and then there are statistics."
Mark Twain

Old 08-13-2016, 09:24 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Quote:
OK..sure. Is not my intent to open the boring and circular, Idaho vs. California, argument.
Not my intent either, I merely cited CA as an example of a state that is well known for being more liberal than most as a comparison to ID.

I'm learning a little more about "at will" employment laws, and am finding that your original comments on the subject are incorrect and misleading.

All 50 states have some form of "at will" employment. In it's basic form, "at will" means that employers may terminate employees for any reason, or indeed for no reason at all. Most states have exceptions to the "at will" policy which define conditions under which employers may NOT terminate employees for no reason. There are three categories of exceptions:

Public policy
Implied contract
Covenant of good faith and fair dealing

I won't define these exceptions in detail here. People who are interested can read more here.

Idaho is one of only 6 states that recognize all three exceptions. There is some variation in how the exceptions are defined or implemented on a state by state basis, but suffice to say that simply stating that Idaho doesn't recognize worker rights because it's an "at will" state is very misleading since all 50 states recognize some form of at will employment, and further Idaho recognizes more exceptions to that principle than most states.

Quote:
Yes, there are many reasons as to why Idaho is ranked high in fiscal soundness. Among those reasons are low population, and what some might see as a callous disregard for those less fortunate.

I'm not really sure as to what Idaho's "fiscal soundness' buys them. I just think that a little honey might be spared for the worker bees..

I don't think low population has anything to do with Idaho's fiscal condition. If anything, I'd think that would be a challenge as there are many things a state must do where the cost is independent of population.

I also think it's grossly inaccurate to say that the people of Idaho have a "callous disregard for those less fortunate." Forbes has ranked Idaho as the 3rd most charitable state in the country. Voluntarily giving of one's time and money to help others is a much better measure of how people feel about others who are less fortunate than yourself.

If we're going to inform people we should be accurate.

And BTW, we live in a republic, not a democracy.

Dave

Old 08-13-2016, 09:37 AM

LoL..ok..quibble as you must....Yes we live in a republic..if this distinction matters to you..or to the people thinking about moving here. Since you seem to be a "quibbler" type..I did not say I thought Idaho callous..I said some might think so..many I talk to feel that way and their opinions are as valid as yours or mine.

Once again, Idaho is filled with great people..I believe I used the terms "open-handed and open-hearted"?

I'm not trying to attack Idaho or to bring out all the Idaho apologists and partisans from out of their easy chairs. I'm just just stating what I've seen and experienced.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:55 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
[mod note: "Personal attacks" are not permissible per the TOS. Keep it civil and respectful.]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-13-2016, 11:30 AM

181 posts, read 270,538 times
Default Actually

Quote:

Actually, we are a Republic, not a Democracy.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:09 PM

247 posts, read 196,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelshund20 View Post
Actually, we are a Republic, not a Democracy.
A Representative Republic even...soon to be a Banana Republic if we don't get our govt. straightened out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho