Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:16 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,539,236 times

Advertisements

As a liberal-minded, mostly, board it'd be useless to delinate type. I'd get either banned for contrary opinions to the sheeple, or the like, w/ negative feedback re any scenario I'd present. Suffice saying that I know many here do have a like-mindedness as I do, yet it seems that moderation here tends to slant very liberal. Therefore it makes no sense to go on, if most of you represent the majority of mindsets that'd I need spend days wasting time, ultimately just bickering with & not going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 02:30 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,164,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
As a liberal-minded, mostly, board it'd be useless to delinate type. I'd get either banned for contrary opinions to the sheeple, or the like, w/ negative feedback re any scenario I'd present. Suffice saying that I know many here do have a like-mindedness as I do, yet it seems that moderation here tends to slant very liberal. Therefore it makes no sense to go on, if most of you represent the majority of mindsets that'd I need spend days wasting time, ultimately just bickering with & not going anywhere.
No. The mods here are all conservative, but on this forum, we all want politeness foremost.

That's partly due to our citizen's scrappy natures. It's very easy here for just about any topic to become political in some tangental way, and when one does, it doesn't ever take long to heat up to live steam, and then just keep going.

The forum went through a long spate of this a couple of years ago, so nowadays, while our politics are often discussed, every topic has to stay within specific boundaries to the subject, and an individual's personal thoughts, especially when they are generalized, may get eliminated if they're bad enough. More commonly, a mod will just clip out the extraneous junk and let the pertinent stuff remain intact.

So you can say what you want, but you won't be able to broadcast your general feelings or attitude about most the the most inflammatory stuff ver much. It's not what you say so much as how you say it. It applies to all of us equally, too, so it is not a conservative/liberal thing at all.

"Smile when you say that, stranger." is really still the truth out here in the mountain west. That's because there are so few of us. If you start a fight, you definitely will see the other guy all the time, and everyone gets to know everyone else. So we tend to stay polite out here, just because it helps keep the disturbances down to a dull roar.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:41 PM

Well said & point well taken. Thanks, banjomike.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:39 PM

160 posts, read 249,811 times
Quote:
W H A T ??

Old 08-26-2016, 05:16 PM

448 posts, read 804,967 times
Quote:
I'd get either banned for contrary opinions to the sheeple, or the like, w/ negative feedback re any scenario I'd present.
Maybe it would help if you didn't label everyone who disagrees with you as 'sheeple'. Some people are quite capable of being educated on a topic or belief system without holding it themselves.

If such a natural/human-caused disaster occurred that disrupted our way of life to the point where we all had to resort to eating food that we each grew ourselves (or trading with them that do) - the last place I would want to be is the mountain west. Lack of water, brutal winters, short growing season... it's just not ideal for that, IMO.

Quote:
Suffice to ask tho, wind haiis smoke across US to east coast (& even asfar as to the Canada Martimes/Maine, etc.) & so... is... Idaho vs way way east -- much overall cardiovascular healthy, aka lung/breathing seasonally, difference vs said e. coast regions?
I'm not sure what your real question here is. And furthermore I'm not sure that the differences now would hold, given a hypothetical disaster scenario - as each of those scenarios would be different. Most people associate breathing issues with allergies due to pollen, etc. which vary wildly across the country and are personal to you.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Woe, even this makes less sense to me. Haha, I need ban MYSELF soon!

Ok, what I meant is I'm not liberal-minded & I thought most folks in ID/MT/WY & eastern WA & eastern OR tend lean conservative. Thus, it came out wrong. I hope it didn't seem as if I AM liberal. Nor was I trying to get this topic that way off, as it was a bad segway I am faulted for taking.

It is really about Widlfires & the blowing smoke that drifts west to east. Often even the extreme east coast & northern ME, get this smoke from out west. So, I do apologize to those offended as it meant not to offend --nor become political rant.

Ok, back on track. Does the smoke (not a SHTF total collapse of society, etc. as we know it, haha, or the like -- or even other natural disasters besides wildfires) but is wildfire smoke a real concern to drift from w. to e. -- & very much so during hotter drier months, & of course summer?

Thanks again.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:23 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,164,190 times
Wildfires are very unpredictable. I've seen years so dry that everything turned brown by mid-June, but no fires. On another year, it can rain all summer, and a major fire can break out in a little dry patch that didn't get the rain somehow. But without a doubt, high wind and dry weather makes for a bigger fire every time.

It's not just summer. October is traditionally one of our driest months, and fires often break out then. I've known fires that started in late November when there's no snow yet, but late fires don't last very long.

Ya just never know.

But the smoke from a range fire is different from a forest fire. Forest smoke is somehow heavier, possibly due to the resins in our softwood forests, while range smoke has a lighter quality, but can be just as irritating as wood smoke. Range fires always seem to have a lot of dust in them as well.

Like the weather, a fire in Idaho starts westward most of the time from the Rockies, which act like great funnels as the winds push eastward. They tend to concentrate and elevate wind speed so during extreme events, winds here grow stronger when they hit the west slope of the Rockies, which bends them eastward into the upper great plains and onward. When they hit Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota, the winds pick up moisture from the Great lakes which makes the smoke heavier and even more concentrated, so if the smoke hits the northeast, it can be quite heavy after a 3000 mile trip.

The big forest fires out here pump out a terrific amount of smoke. It's all nature's way, and fire and smoke are to us what storms and hurricanes are to the Southeast and tornadoes are to the midwest and plains. The worst years are when several fires beak out at the same time in different spots all over the state.

They can generate a lot of combined smoke, as it all mingles in the air currents. If a fire is followed by a prolonged calm spell, the smoke can linger for a very long time, even when it comes from a spot hundreds of miles away.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:26 PM

209 posts, read 314,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post
This is easily the most asinine thread I've ever read on CD.

Indeed, Idaho is about as far away from "avant-garde" as it can be, and the same can be said for it having a "frontier mentality." How can both terms even appear in the same sentence?

And I would love to know what the OP means by "SHTF." I know what the acronym stands for, but I'd like to know exactly what sort of "S" is it that s/he expects might hit the fan? Natural global/US disaster? Gov't overthrow? Gov't takeover? Nuclear disaster? Locusts? Falling sky? Heartbreak of psoriasis?
I can't rep you again, but your "heartbreak of psoriasis" comment made me burst out laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho