U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 07:55 AM

3 posts, read 3,039 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to S. Idaho, like the Twin Falls area, not settled on and particular town as of yet. I have a few questions. I have a 10 year old boy who is friendly and makes friends easily and is just a nice person. I have heard, but don't want to judge, that if the area has a high LDS population he may be left out in the school environment. How do others feel about this? If it were simply my husband and myself I would not worry about such things, we keep to ourselves and do not require "fitting in". I want my son to have a good experience since he really loves the West and gets along with most people he meets. We currently live in a small community in WI ( 1700 population) The community that we currently live in is very religious, various denominations, we are non-denominational family. We have never had any problems fitting in here, really, just don't like it much. I would really appreciate the thoughts of some people who have children in school or know of examples of the like. We have a live and let live kind of mentality. I won't judge you or exclude you if you can extend me the same. Any thoughts would be appreciated, and any suggestions as to which towns might be a good fit. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 09:53 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,148,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwithdrawl View Post
My family and I are considering moving to S. Idaho, like the Twin Falls area, not settled on and particular town as of yet. I have a few questions. I have a 10 year old boy who is friendly and makes friends easily and is just a nice person. I have heard, but don't want to judge, that if the area has a high LDS population he may be left out in the school environment. How do others feel about this? If it were simply my husband and myself I would not worry about such things, we keep to ourselves and do not require "fitting in". I want my son to have a good experience since he really loves the West and gets along with most people he meets. We currently live in a small community in WI ( 1700 population) The community that we currently live in is very religious, various denominations, we are non-denominational family. We have never had any problems fitting in here, really, just don't like it much. I would really appreciate the thoughts of some people who have children in school or know of examples of the like. We have a live and let live kind of mentality. I won't judge you or exclude you if you can extend me the same. Any thoughts would be appreciated, and any suggestions as to which towns might be a good fit. Thank you!
Hi mountainwithdrawal,

I can relate to your username. Welcome to the Idaho forum.

Before various posters attempt to answer your questions, let me ask you some very basic questions that will help us in answering you.

Do you have a job offer or job transfer to Twin Falls? Or how did you select the Magic Valley as a city for relocation? Both parents and children do better if employment has been secured, or if your family would be bringing a business.

When would you be moving? Is your 10 y.o. in 4th or 5th grade?

Those details will help us.

Thanks,

MSR

Old 09-04-2016, 12:05 PM

My husband would secure a job before moving, so the city itself isn't as important as an area. The exact location would depend on where he gets a job. My husbands current job is incredibly overwhelming, in that he works 12 hour night shifts with, if he's lucky one day off a week. We need a change! We have vacationed in the West and really love Idaho, we think that the area is beautiful. Our daughter is planning to move to Alaska and we don't think that Alaska is our cup of tea. We figure if we are going to make a change we may as well go where we want to be, WEST! The time line would most likely be the early summer of 2017. My 10 year old is in the 4th grade currently, a good student and for the most part enjoys school. Sorry, I tend to rattle on. Hope this helps in getting some input on my original post.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
My husband would secure a job before moving, so the city itself isn't as important as an area. The exact location would depend on where he gets a job. My husbands current job is incredibly overwhelming, in that he works 12 hour night shifts with, if he's lucky one day off a week. We need a change! We have vacationed in the West and really love Idaho, we think that the area is beautiful. Our daughter is planning to move to Alaska and we don't think that Alaska is our cup of tea. We figure if we are going to make a change we may as well go where we want to be, WEST! The time line would most likely be the early summer of 2017. My 10 year old is in the 4th grade currently, a good student and for the most part enjoys school. Sorry, I tend to rattle on. Hope this helps in getting some input on my original post.
From what I know of the Magic Valley, securing employment absolutely should be your first concern. While it's true Chobani has added to the economy a tremendous amount and Cliff Bars will add more in the Twin Falls area, most of the jobs available don't pay over $10.00/hour. If that will meet your family's financial needs then employment should be easy to secure. The COL in Idaho is much less than some states.

Does your husband have specialized skills, training or degrees in his work? There might be other cities that fit better than Twin Falls. It certainly is a nice area; however, if there is no job, your other questions seem premature IMO. There is nothing wrong with needing a change,mit's just important your family is supported in the new area.

When can your family schedule a visit to Idaho to visit various cities? Your family needs more than one day in the various cities to assess the overall vibe and opportunities all of you get from different cities. If your husband has a specialized work focus let us know as we can tell you which cities have the most jobs in that type of work.

Good for your daughter for wanting to try Alaska! I hoe you are reading posts in that forum so you know the high costs, number of days yearly with limited sunlight etc. There is good info in the Alaska forum.

God luck searching the job scene. I know today's jobs aren't necessarily what will be available when you move but searching does give you an idea of what types of jobs are available in different regions of the state. Here is a general link to the Dept. of Labor: Idaho Department of Labor > Home

MSR

Old 09-05-2016, 11:19 AM

4,995 posts, read 1,786,243 times
Quote:
Hello there!

I've lived in the Twin Falls area for a few years now and I love it.
Here's my take:

Jobs..The employment rate in Twin is about 4%..lots of work...what does your husband do now..and what are his skills will determine just what he can find here. Many people use the temp agencies to break into the market. An example..Elwood Staffing has open positions at Chobani for $11.00 per hour.

The larger companies start at around 14.00 per hour--I'm referring to factory work--Chobani and CliffBar--Spear's Mfg.--Hylex Poly--Dart---Glambia, are just a few of the large companies located here.

While there is a LDS presence here..I consider them more of an asset than a liability. They contribute to the community and are not in your face about their faith. Twin Falls is large and diverse enough
that religion is not an issue.
Idaho, in general, supports the 'live and let live' philosophy.

Twin Falls is surrounded by a number of small towns that are close enough to commute..but still offer the small town experience. Kimberly, Jerome, Buhl, Filer are a few of them.

I hope you came to our area and check it out..would love to have you

Old 09-05-2016, 02:53 PM

I want to thank everyone for the great info. We are still in the "can we make this work" phase. I am one to research things to death! Making an informed decision is super important, we don't want to just dive in, we are too old for that! ( We are both about 50) My husband has been in the printing industry for the better part of 33 years. He did do some janitorial work for a while at a local school, but eventually went back to printing. He wouldn't mind a change in that area either, but 10-11 dollars an hour might be a little too little. We will need to weigh it all out. This has been very helpful and if we come up with any other questions I will be sure to post them here.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Hello there!

I've lived in the Twin Falls area for a few years now and I love it.
Here's my take:

Jobs..The employment rate in Twin is about 4%..lots of work...what does your husband do now..and what are his skills will determine just what he can find here. Many people use the temp agencies to break into the market. An example..Elwood Staffing has open positions at Chobani for $11.00 per hour.

The larger companies start at around 14.00 per hour--I'm referring to factory work--Chobani and CliffBar--Spear's Mfg.--Hylex Poly--Dart---Glambia, are just a few of the large companies located here.

While there is a LDS presence here..I consider them more of an asset than a liability. They contribute to the community and are not in your face about their faith. Twin Falls is large and diverse enough
that religion is not an issue.
Idaho, in general, supports the 'live and let live' philosophy.

Twin Falls is surrounded by a number of small towns that are close enough to commute..but still offer the small town experience. Kimberly, Jerome, Buhl, Filer are a few of them.

I hope you came to our area and check it out..would love to have you
I'm glad you posted, Eagle Eye. I wasn't certain how often you checked the forum. It's great to have someone in Twin Falls finally post here

MSR

Old 09-05-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I want to thank everyone for the great info. We are still in the "can we make this work" phase. I am one to research things to death! Making an informed decision is super important, we don't want to just dive in, we are too old for that! ( We are both about 50) My husband has been in the printing industry for the better part of 33 years. He did do some janitorial work for a while at a local school, but eventually went back to printing. He wouldn't mind a change in that area either, but 10-11 dollars an hour might be a little too little. We will need to weigh it all out. This has been very helpful and if we come up with any other questions I will be sure to post them here.
Maybe you can better understand how come I said employment would be the first thing I'd secure.

If your husband wants to stay in printing I know an Idaho Falls printing business that is expanding and building a new building to handle their regional demand. What other type of work might your husband want to do? Use one of the cost calculator tools to compare your current prices to those in Idaho.

Southern Idaho, especially around Boise and Idaho Falls have the most jobs in the greatest variety of areas. But a lot require specific training and/or degrees/certificates. Maybe your husband would want to get a Certificate from a Tech Program highly in demand. Less than 18 months of training and new grads are making $60K in some jobs.

Lots to think about. I wish you the best of luck

MSR

Old 09-12-2016, 10:37 AM

347 posts, read 869,721 times
Quote:
Research is an awesome way to begin your search but nothing will give you the true picture until you come to the area you are considering and scout it out firsthand. We moved here over 10 years ago and Twin was our initial choice but we had a family tie to the Salmon area so we started there and loved it and stayed over 5 years until husband got laid off and then with nothing else being in the area we had to uproot to NID, we do not like it as much as we thought we would but ti is still a nice area but we wish we had came for a week and checked out the local prices for food and homes because we may have moved elsewhere in the state instead, with all that said all the state is a wonderful place to live with down falls, so if we had to do over again we would relocate to an area where there is a considerable amount of work because we are again in an area we would have to sell our house and move again because NID just does not have much work the southern part of the state has the most opportunities with more reasonable rent and home prices. Go visit the areas you are considering before uprooting it will make things much easier to transition to Idaho ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho