Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:16 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times

Advertisements

Well, we are in Idaho so naturally recommending a service available in Idaho is what this forum is about, and the OP is also interested in watching the show in Oregon, plus Boise is central to Eastern Oregon and Eastern Idaho. So, in all due respect I don't see what international flights, etc, boosterism for SLC, have to do with my input of flying into Boise so that the OP is in the middle of the regions OP has expressed interest in. BOI has great connections around the county, so a person flying in from the east coast could connect to BOI easily through Chicago or Minneapolis, Dallas or Houston. And yes, Boise is currently in the midst of a huge hotel boom.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 09-23-2016 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 12:41 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Well, we are in Idaho so naturally recommending a service available in Idaho is what this forum is about, and the OP is also interested in watching the show in Oregon, plus Boise is central to Eastern Oregon and Eastern Idaho. So, in all due respect I don't see what international flights, etc, boosterism for SLC, have to do with my input of flying into Boise so that the OP is in the middle of the regions OP has expressed interest in. BOI has great connections around the county, so a person flying in from the east coast could connect to BOI easily through Chicago or Minneapolis, Dallas or Houston. And yes, Boise is currently in the midst of a huge hotel boom.
I encourage you to read the OP's post here again. I even asked in my post if the OP had some need to be in OR. No answers were posted. Idaho Falls is accessible via Minneapolis as well. And one short Denver stop from Chicago.

Events like this bring people from everywhere. I don't need to boost Salt Lake City economy in anyway. It tied for the second spot in the nation for job growth. Tourism isn't suffering in SLC. The new SLC airport doesn't consult me when they add flights. I'm just being honest of the patterns of tourists. If BOI wants that business, then they need to compete for it. Most in the east, south or international look at an area they prefer either the closest airport, and who knows, Delta and United may fly extra flights to Idaho Falls or other charter flights. Otherwise, those from thousands of miles away then prefer hubs.

It took a flight attendant to tip me off that flying into Ft. Lauderdale gave me many options I wanted that Miami Intel didn't, given when I could travel to mandatory meetings. I stated, I think others will read this thread who don't want to visit Oregon.

This Eclipse will be a terrific experience for southern ID residents to see. I'm not sure about NID folks and at where in the state they could view any of the Eclipse.

Check your PMs.

MSR

Old 09-23-2016, 01:24 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
The OP has a similar thread in the Oregon forum.

Check this out:
Ten Excellent Places to See the Total Solar Eclipse of August 2017

#2: Snake River Valley, ID. Expert eclipse watchers and photographers after the big money shots will likely head far west, to Idaho and Oregon, to see the solar eclipse of August 2017. Weather prospects are generally good for most of Idaho. In the eastern part of the state, Rexburg is a promising location. It’s just north of Idaho Falls and offers good roads for mobility. In the western part of the state, Highway 95 between Weiser (on the Snake River) and the Marin Creek Reservoir offers good odds for clear skies and totality durations of just over 2 minutes.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:02 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Of course, the direction a person is coming from to see the eclipse will play a big part on which airport is chosen. Boise and Salt Lake both have more flights and connections in all directions than the airports in Idaho Falls and Pocatello have.
No matter. The airports here have the necessary connections to those larger airports.

This is a great opportunity to show off what life here has to offer, no matter how folks get here. I hope the local Chambers of Commerce all jointly get their act together and become ready to capitalize on this rare opportunity.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:43 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Thanks to all of your for your advice. I regret any seeming delay in response but I do not carry a suitable device. I am still in the flipfone generation.

Our situation involves negotiating with my wife's sister located in anchorage Alaska while we are in Londonderry, NH. They will have to fly to an airport with service by Alaska Airlines. The hubby works for the airline and they have discounts available.

We are in process of deciding to drive or fly and rent a car. The driving would preferably be done in our '04 Corvette but a similar age Subaru is our other car. We did drive from NH to Yellowstone last year in the Vette and had a great drive and a great time. I do not like to drive the Vette any distance on gravel or dirt roads because of very limited (2") ground clearance at the front air dam. I will drive the Subie anywhere.

We would like to fly and rent a Subaru so the vast network of gravel and dirt roads would be available for driving after the eclipse. I wonder where we could rent one.

Again, thank you. Note I will copy this post to the Oregon forum. GregW

Old 09-23-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
The OP has a similar thread in the Oregon forum.

Check this out:
Ten Excellent Places to See the Total Solar Eclipse of August 2017

#2: Snake River Valley, ID. Expert eclipse watchers and photographers after the big money shots will likely head far west, to Idaho and Oregon, to see the solar eclipse of August 2017. Weather prospects are generally good for most of Idaho. In the eastern part of the state, Rexburg is a promising location. It’s just north of Idaho Falls and offers good roads for mobility. In the western part of the state, Highway 95 between Weiser (on the Snake River) and the Marin Creek Reservoir offers good odds for clear skies and totality durations of just over 2 minutes.
I believe you. I didn't have the time or reason to look in OR.

I think many will enjoy this experience in Southern ID.

MSR

Old 09-23-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Thanks to all of your for your advice. I regret any seeming delay in response but I do not carry a suitable device. I am still in the flipfone generation.

Our situation involves negotiating with my wife's sister located in anchorage Alaska while we are in Londonderry, NH. They will have to fly to an airport with service by Alaska Airlines. The hubby works for the airline and they have discounts available.

We are in process of deciding to drive or fly and rent a car. The driving would preferably be done in our '04 Corvette but a similar age Subaru is our other car. We did drive from NH to Yellowstone last year in the Vette and had a great drive and a great time. I do not like to drive the Vette any distance on gravel or dirt roads because of very limited (2") ground clearance at the front air dam. I will drive the Subie anywhere.

We would like to fly and rent a Subaru so the vast network of gravel and dirt roads would be available for driving after the eclipse. I wonder where we could rent one.

Again, thank you. Note I will copy this post to the Oregon forum. GregW
That makes a lot of sense. Airline tickets are expensive and if you can utilize that perk iN your family, great!!. A Subaru sounds like a good choice.

I'd still encourage to make your reservations as soon as you can.

I hope you have a wonderful time seeing your wife's sister and BIL. Have fun seeing the Eclipse. I think it's great you were the first to post about it here, Greg.

Let us know if you have other questions

MSR

Old 09-23-2016, 07:14 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Another option to consider, Greg. Bozeman is serviced by Horizon, an affiliate of Alaska. From there, it's about a three-hour drive to Rexburg through some mighty pretty country. Might even see some bison on the road north of West Yellowstone. Not an uncommon sight.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-24-2016, 12:32 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Another option to consider, Greg. Bozeman is serviced by Horizon, an affiliate of Alaska. From there, it's about a three-hour drive to Rexburg through some mighty pretty country. Might even see some bison on the road north of West Yellowstone. Not an uncommon sight.
I believe Idaho Falls is also serviced by the same affiliate.

There may be advantages coming down from Montana, though, especially if Rexburg is the choice for watching the eclipse. Reservations at any of the lodges in Island Park for the night before might be a very pleasant choice, and Rexburg is closer to I.P. that Idaho Falls from Montana.
If that route was chosen, reservations might also be made in W. Yellowstone.

It's pretty obvious to me now that reservations all over the upper Snake River valley are going to be tight, so the sooner a room is secured, the better it will be, I'm sure.

But camping is a viable alternative, especially coming from Montana. Another that may be worth consideration is to rent an RV instead of a car for a day or two; that might take all worries about reservations out of the picture entirely.

Just as a tour, all the country around the path of the eclipse is extremely scenic as it is.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Thanks again. We have reserved rooms in a lower cost motel in Baker City, Oregon. Some rooms are available in this small City inconveniently away from the larger airports and the path of totality. Even with these considerations many of the accommodations were already booked.

We are still debating weather we are going to drive cross country or fly to Boise, ID and rent something that will let us drive gravel but not 4WD roads in the area. The eclipse will the start of our vacation. We are planning to not only see the eclipse but visit other places in the area. I am a train, and historic technology nut and the Sumter Valley Railroad is on my list. We will also be visiting places in Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho