Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:24 PM

17,297 posts, read 13,042,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I always thought that you need eye protection even during totality, because the visible corona is so bright it can damage your eyesight.
No, totality is safe. Not during any sliver of sun pre-and post totality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 05:48 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,910,427 times
Wow I keep hearing this is getting bigger and bigger. Telling us to stock up on groceries for a week in advance because the highway will be so crowded it could take 5 hours to get from Midvale to Payette. And to be sure to have gas for cars topped off. Well in our area this goes with out saying. I never come home with less than half a tank and always fill it up. My car gets 36-38 MPG.Not to mention I certainly would not be driving anywhere in the possible mess on the roads.Grocery stores and gas stations could be depleted. Another one was people will be bused into our small towns for the viewing???

For those of you coming to view this eclipse are you expecting to make hours long drives to get where you are going on the day of and after? Or is this being blown all out of proportion as people tend to do with the rumor mill. Remembering the Y2K banter. but Hwy 95 is mostly a two lane road for many many miles.

Do I need to be worried about my house and property? I was thinking people willing to come so far to see some thing that lasts such a short time are not likely to be in the criminal mode. Is it really going to be that big of a deal?

TIA for any ideas.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:14 PM

29,168 posts, read 22,137,026 times
This will be the most easily accessed total eclipse for 99 years.
Right now, 500,000 are expected in Idaho Falls, and another 500,000 in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. That's double the estimate of a month ago.

So whatever you expect, doubling it might be prudent.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This will be the most easily accessed total eclipse for 99 years.
Right now, 500,000 are expected in Idaho Falls, and another 500,000 in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. That's double the estimate of a month ago.

So whatever you expect, doubling it might be prudent.
OHHHHH WOWOWOWO Well it is only for a couple of days I hope. Although I did hear some people were planning on coming in starting the Thursday before to avoid the traffic. This just seems so amazing to me. I can not even imagine our little town of 160 people growing by the thousands much less 100 thousand or more. I did hear there will be vendors in the park. I do not know how any one could even walk in the park with that many people. I am one block from the park. Will they spill out that far? I would think the school and airport might be better viewing areas. More open. The park is tall trees. There is a hill beside my house people might try to go up. Not my property so not my problem. I am sure I can see whatever from my own yard with out going on a hill. I will probably be aware of all of it. How could I not be? But I am not really excited about this.

I did see a link about a Meteor shower on August 12th. I think I would much rather watch some thing like that.

Thanks BanjoMike

Old 07-27-2017, 09:57 PM

2,389 posts, read 2,986,947 times
The meteor shower is the Persieds. They happen every year. I think some places are trying to capitalize on the eclipse hype and tie in the Persieds.

Unfortunately, this year we'll have a big Moon during the meteor shower, so it may not be as spectacular as it is at times.

Dave

Last edited by Cnynrat; 07-27-2017 at 10:20 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
The meteor shower is the Persieds. They happen every year. I think some places are trying to capitalize on the eclipse hype and tie in the Persieds.

Unfortunately, this year we'll have a big Moon during the meteor shower, so it may not be as spectacular as it is at times.

Dave
Oh Darn Dave, I was looking forward to hanging out in my little back patio where it is quite dark from lights to watch it. Yes a big moon would put a damper on visibility. I did note the dates of the Persieds and Eclipse are a little over a week apart.

I happened to speak to the mayor tonight and asked him his thoughts on the multitudes of people coming here and he said he believes it is going to happen. He is getting many many calls every day about it. Apparently a good place to watch is out Crain Creek which is way the other side of town from me. Hoping the people will head out there. But even so there is going to be vendors and activities in the park which is one long block from my house.

Being we are such a small community and maybe 650 people in the whole county he said law enforcement would be stretched to the limit and then some. Not that I am planning on calling them for anything. Really hoping the visitors are just out to have fun. Nothing wrong with fun. Just possibly so many having fun here at one time. LOL

Old 07-28-2017, 10:00 PM

2,288 posts, read 1,674,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
For those of you coming to view this eclipse are you expecting to make hours long drives to get where you are going on the day of and after? Or is this being blown all out of proportion as people tend to do with the rumor mill. Remembering the Y2K banter. but Hwy 95 is mostly a two lane road for many many miles.

Do I need to be worried about my house and property? I was thinking people willing to come so far to see some thing that lasts such a short time are not likely to be in the criminal mode. Is it really going to be that big of a deal?

TIA for any ideas.
I'm coming from San Francisco, driving with my wife the 750 some odd miles up to McCall to stay with a friend. On eclipse day we're getting a super early start and are driving into the path of totality. There, we'll set up a table and chairs in a field, cook breakfast, and hang out and wait for it to start.

I think almost all of the people coming are coming for the solar wonderment of the eclipse, but if it were me, I'd be ready because if it becomes crowded, some people do things (not-good things) that they normally wouldn't do alone. There's probably a term for this behavior aberration but it's escaping me right now.

I am hopeful that nothing bad will happen. Be hopeful, but also be ready for just in case.

And, thank you Idaho for hosting this eclipse for me! We are lookng forward to it! We even got matching t-shirts for it!

Idaho t-shirt link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 07-29-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I'm coming from San Francisco, driving with my wife the 750 some odd miles up to McCall to stay with a friend. On eclipse day we're getting a super early start and are driving into the path of totality. There, we'll set up a table and chairs in a field, cook breakfast, and hang out and wait for it to start.

I think almost all of the people coming are coming for the solar wonderment of the eclipse, but if it were me, I'd be ready because if it becomes crowded, some people do things (not-good things) that they normally wouldn't do alone. There's probably a term for this behavior aberration but it's escaping me right now.

I am hopeful that nothing bad will happen. Be hopeful, but also be ready for just in case.

And, thank you Idaho for hosting this eclipse for me! We are lookng forward to it! We even got matching t-shirts for it!

Idaho t-shirt link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was hoping some one from here would be coming this way. I would offer a place to stay. I hate to be a whimp but I am alone now.

If you are driving up 95 stop in I am only 5 houses off the highway. I am about 68 miles south of McCall.

My neighbor also mentioned possible bad things. Trying to stay positive. Midvale is such a tiny town I can not even imagine where all the people supposed to come in will park. OHHH Maybe I should allow parking in my 100 foot wide driveway as a line of protection across the front of my house. Hummm.

I forget how far out Crain Creek is. Really hoping many go out there. But then there is a flat topped hill right beside my house and people might try to go up there. Not my property so have no say so one way or the other. I will just sit in my own yard to watch. The eclipse and the people I guess.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:41 AM

2,288 posts, read 1,674,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
I was hoping some one from here would be coming this way. I would offer a place to stay. I hate to be a whimp but I am alone now.

If you are driving up 95 stop in I am only 5 houses off the highway. I am about 68 miles south of McCall.

My neighbor also mentioned possible bad things. Trying to stay positive. Midvale is such a tiny town I can not even imagine where all the people supposed to come in will park. OHHH Maybe I should allow parking in my 100 foot wide driveway as a line of protection across the front of my house. Hummm.

I forget how far out Crain Creek is. Really hoping many go out there. But then there is a flat topped hill right beside my house and people might try to go up there. Not my property so have no say so one way or the other. I will just sit in my own yard to watch. The eclipse and the people I guess.
Thank you for the invite to stop in. How nice of you! My plan is to be along ID Hwy 55 for the eclipse but if the weather is not good that day then we will try US Hwy 95. Can you PM me your name and contact info? Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho