Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:44 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I realize there are varying degrees of conservatism, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "everyone in Idaho is conservative". There are some very liberal people in Boise including members of our city council. The same can be said for Ketchum and Sun Valley.
Yeah- I was probably too broad in saying that.

There are always extremes in all political beliefs in both left and right. But I believe Idaho does lean to the right a little more than from dead center overall. And of course, there are pockets in our population where one side is more populous than the other.

They are all relatively small, though... your example of Ketchum applies as an example. Ketchum's total population was 2,689 in the 2010 census. And while it's a well-known liberal area, not everyone who lives there is liberal, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 12:53 AM

240 posts, read 237,266 times
Quote:
Those varying shades of red don't tell the real story either.
Madison county is a lighter shade of red like Ada, but not because those folks were voting Democratic; Madison is the most conservative county in the state and they were voting for 3rd party candidate McMullen, not for Trump. Just due east from Madison, Teton county was voting for more Democrats.

That's the way it always is here; Libertarians and 3rd parties always do pretty well in Idaho, along with the Democratic party and it's wavering fortunes. Blaine county has been reliably blue for as long as I can remember, always surrounded by a sea of red.

By and large, everyone in Idaho is conservative, as I've often mentioned. But here, conservatism in all shades and degrees finds its own share of voters and always has. It fits our individualistic nature, and because Mother Nature throws us all so many curve balls, everyone learns to conserve everything from leftover groceries to political opinions.

There are so few of us, and we are so spread out, herd mentality has never had much of a chance to take over. Our herds exist, but they're smaller herds than in the states with more population. That tends to create indifference to how our neighbor votes as long as he's a peaceable neighbor.
I'm really liking the sound of this.

Quote:
I realize there are varying degrees of conservatism, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "everyone in Idaho is conservative". There are some very liberal people in Boise including members of our city council. The same can be said for Ketchum and Sun Valley.
In so far as laws and culture go, this sounds like an excellent deal to me.

Can either of you speak to the political demographics in CDA from an Idahoan perspective? If you already have I apologize, it is late and I'm too tired to go through every post. Thanks to all for their inputs.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:52 PM

Hi, Anglerte...
I can't, because I don't live in NID and haven't been up there often or long enough to have any valid perspectives of my own.

About the only thing I can say is I think Idaho's politics appear to be pretty stable overall. This could change, of course, but since the state now has a surplus in its treasury, I don't think major shifts will happen through 2017.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:21 PM

240 posts, read 237,266 times
Quote:
I can't, because I don't live in NID and haven't been up there often or long enough to have any valid perspectives of my own.

About the only thing I can say is I think Idaho's politics appear to be pretty stable overall. This could change, of course, but since the state now has a surplus in its treasury, I don't think major shifts will happen through 2017.
It seems as though a lot of people migrating to the state, purely going off of other posts I've seen on various forums and websites, tend to be right leaning with the exception of those looking at Boise and Moscow. But I'm glad to hear it's a stable situation.

Surplus? That's like a deficit right? Sorry, my Californian slipped out.

Honestly as long as the live-and-let-live thing as is as prevalent as I've been told it is, I think I'll be quite satisfied regardless.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglerte View Post
It seems as though a lot of people migrating to the state, purely going off of other posts I've seen on various forums and websites, tend to be right leaning with the exception of those looking at Boise and Moscow. But I'm glad to hear it's a stable situation.

Surplus? That's like a deficit right? Sorry, my Californian slipped out.

Honestly as long as the live-and-let-live thing as is as prevalent as I've been told it is, I think I'll be quite satisfied regardless.
Yup. Idaho usually has a surplus in its treasury, but not always. By law, the state has to balance its budget, but the surplus can be used to balance it. The big hit of 2008, which came with a large education expirement that was costly, eliminated the surplus, and for a while Idaho was in the hole. Now, the surplus is back.

Traditionally, the surplus is used to cover emergency expenditures such as fire fighting, flooding, and other natural disasters, and some other stuff, so it varies from year to year, but the Legislature likes to have it, so some of the taxes always go into rebuilding it when it is low.

While I don't know what the law is, I suppose Idaho could still operate on a deficit, but to my knowledge, the state never has, unless it was during the big depressions of 1890 and 1930... both hit Idaho very hard, and depressions always set in later in this state and last far longer than in other states when they do.

The 1980 recession didn't arrive here until 1981, and it lasted until 1989. This is typical, but the recovery time all depends on the depth of the recession. 1974 didn't last nearly as long as 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho