U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 03:04 PM

2,928 posts, read 5,714,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post

Have you looked into Buhl near Twin Falls?

http://www.n421cu.com/182/14%20Sep%2...0Buhl/buhl.JPG
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:11 PM

3,028 posts, read 2,121,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Have you looked into Buhl near Twin Falls?

http://www.n421cu.com/182/14%20Sep%2...0Buhl/buhl.JPG

I will add Buhl to the list. THANKS!
I will also check Zillow.com for 2,000+ sq ft homes 3bd, 2+bath, 2+ CAR garage 1+ acre with private driveway far away from main road and far from any neighbors. $200,000 - $400,000 range. No house older than 2005.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:05 PM

5,896 posts, read 5,497,912 times
If being near a city of 50k is "too much", then let go of being near a Costco. Twin Falls has one.

For a town of 10K, Walmart is at the top on size & selection. In most but not all such places.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 PM

2,081 posts, read 3,332,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Because OP is searching for a supportive artists' colony and Moscow isn't it. He's looking for a bunch of supportive artists who will enable him to work and if he moves to Moscow, he will discover he has moved to a small farming town, surrounded by farm land, where people wear guns to the grocery stores and the coyotes will eat his cat.
Thanks for the humorous description of my town! Gave me a much needed chuckle.

Haven't heard of any coyotes coming into town to eat the cats. Can you arrange one to visit my neighbors house?

We did have some cool moose in my front yard last winter tho!

Old 07-21-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
"the weather is dull and oppressive much of the year" Yikes. Thanks for the heads up.
I wouldn't say "much of the year."

You'll want to look into this for any part of north Idaho. Winters are overcast. Lots of rain and snow. OTOH, the other three seasons are delightful!

Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 PM

Hey OP: I'm a little late to the game, but since my town was brought up I'll add a few comments. All in all, I'd say the important thing to consider when thinking about Moscow is scale. Moscow has a lot FOR THE SIZE TOWN IT IS. When people say it doesn't compare to (fill in the blank city) they are comparing apples to oranges, unless they are comparing it to another small town of 20k or so ppl, with an additional university population of 10k+ students. There really aren't very many towns like Moscow around.

You should know I'm a 20+ year area resident of Moscow, ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
Hi, I am a writer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated in my relocation endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

I've known several writers and many artists living in Moscow. We have some great art and music festivals.

I am in dire need of a strong community that is humanitarian based. I believe this critical to my success. Moscow makes a lot of efforts in this area. Lots of applicable nonprofits in the area working on a lot of good causes. I even run one (www.latahrecoverycenter.org) Even has a human rights walk/festival every year.

That said, I need a location that offers: Reasonable rent, health food store and an abundance of nature. Note, I would also like access to a vibrant downtown area.
Rent is high for a town of this size. A 3 bedroom home will go for about $1k month rent. Appartments are around $5-600. We have a great local food coop. Hugely popular in our town. Nature? Fuggedaboudit! Everything but an ocean and a glacier available within a 1/2 day drive.

I feel drawn to Moscow...however, I 've never been. Please note, I have a cat. Her safety is paramount.
Never had any pet issues.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Keim; 07-21-2017 at 05:54 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
If being near a city of 50k is "too much", then let go of being near a Costco. Twin Falls has one.

For a town of 10K, Walmart is at the top on size & selection. In most but not all such places.

Don't mind driving some distance to go to Costco or Wal-Mart. I would expect as long as there is no traffic and nothing but open road most of the way, I can deal with that. Going 30 miles away to shop is fine with me. Just don't want to deal with lines, automotive traffic, traffic signals constantly.

I know Costco will only go to highly populated areas but not sure of their marketing specs.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:28 PM

313 posts, read 146,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I think no one would ever have a legit complaint about the length of your posts. You've always been a major contributor to this forum. I think MSR is smiling
Heck, I'm just perusing some threads about a potential move to Moscow and was totally digging on the history you wrote about.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:31 PM

25,753 posts, read 17,196,703 times
Just come out and look around nowherman. You really can't form any useful and realistic perspectives on how life is here until you are actually here.

Since things like 'heavy traffic' have a completely different meaning here than in San Francisco, and commuting here may have completely different problems than traffic, none of us can offer very accurate advice that applies to your own tolerances and/or frustrations.

I doubt you have ever been caught in a traffic jam on a highway because some ranchers are trailing their cattle on the road. Cattle have the right of way here, so if the stock owners won't allow a car to pass through the middle of their herd, the drivers are stuck trailing behind at about 10 mph or less, and that traffic jam can be piled up for several hours. And the cars will all have tires covered in manure when the jam clears.
The stockmen do not have to clear a path through their herd. Most do, but it is their option, not yours, and if you were to try to push your way through, a cow might kick a hole in your radiator, or something even worse.
Hit a cowboy's horse or dog and you will be in a fistfight instantly. With all of them going after you. And then, you will spend the rest of the day 60 miles away from the closest auto repair shop in a busted car. No local will give you a ride, either, because you're the guy who hit the dog.I

f you hit a cow and kill it, you will have to pay damages for it, even if it happens in the middle of the night and its a black cow. A deputy might arrest you on the spot.

All this has happened. Some of this comes from personal experience, both in a car and on a horse.

This is just an example of what you don't think about yet. I'm sure following a herd of cows on a public highway all day is something you probably haven't ever done before, but that happens here.
Along with herds of sheep, and sometimes, herds of deer or elk or buffalo. They all have the right of way, and if you try to push a bull elk or a buffalo, they will try to kill your car.

Other traffic jams can come from a single logging truck on a highway where the road is so narrow and twisty there is no place to pass, no place for the truck to pull off, and nothing to do but follow behind for miles and miles. You can get stuck behind a big RV the size of a semi, a housewife with a load of kids in a big SUV going 35 mph, and may other vehicles.
Different kinds of traffic, but a jam is a jam is a jam.

This stuff doesn't happen every day, but it happens every year somewhere in the state. Along with other stuff that would be strange or unique to your experiences.

And a town of less than 10,000 people can be jammed up from one end to the other if its the only town with a lot of goods and services in a huge surrounding area. The size of the place doesn't matter if it's the only place for miles around that has a grocery, some retail shopping, etc. Country folks still buy all that stuff, and they go to where it is, just like in a big city.

One of the things folks begin missing the most who move from a crowded city are the crowds. A person's life adjusts in unconscious ways to where they live, and when a lot of everything that has become accustomed disappears, the loss isn't always pleasant. It takes some adjustment to the remoteness and isolation out here for some people.

And some never adjust. I know several people who moved here to get away from the madding crowds, and moved back again after a few years. They come to miss all the conveniences, the excitement, the noise, and all of the humanity. Nature can be mighty quiet and mighty boring, distances can become daunting, and the climate can be threatening to folks who have spent most of their lives in a big city. Not at first, but after the new wears off.

You have to come, drive around, look around, and experience how congestion is here. We can't describe what you really want to know in words adequately.

Last edited by banjomike; 07-22-2017 at 12:44 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Just come out and look around nowherman. You really can't form any useful and realistic perspectives on how life is here until you are actually here.

Since things like 'heavy traffic' have a completely different meaning here than in San Francisco, and commuting here may have completely different problems than traffic, none of us can offer very accurate advice that applies to your own tolerances and/or frustrations.

I doubt you have ever been caught in a traffic jam on a highway because some ranchers are trailing their cattle on the road. Cattle have the right of way here, so if the stock owners won't allow a car to pass through the middle of their herd, the drivers are stuck trailing behind at about 10 mph or less, and that traffic jam can be piled up for several hours. And the cars will all have tires covered in manure when the jam clears.
The stockmen do not have to clear a path through their herd. Most do, but it is their option, not yours, and if you were to try to push your way through, a cow might kick a hole in your radiator, or something even worse.
Hit a cowboy's horse or dog and you will be in a fistfight instantly. With all of them going after you. And then, you will spend the rest of the day 60 miles away from the closest auto repair shop in a busted car. No local will give you a ride, either, because you're the guy who hit the dog.I

f you hit a cow and kill it, you will have to pay damages for it, even if it happens in the middle of the night and its a black cow. A deputy might arrest you on the spot.

All this has happened. Some of this comes from personal experience, both in a car and on a horse.

This is just an example of what you don't think about yet. I'm sure following a herd of cows on a public highway all day is something you probably haven't ever done before, but that happens here.
Along with herds of sheep, and sometimes, herds of deer or elk or buffalo. They all have the right of way, and if you try to push a bull elk or a buffalo, they will try to kill your car.

Other traffic jams can come from a single logging truck on a highway where the road is so narrow and twisty there is no place to pass, no place for the truck to pull off, and nothing to do but follow behind for miles and miles. You can get stuck behind a big RV the size of a semi, a housewife with a load of kids in a big SUV going 35 mph, and may other vehicles.
Different kinds of traffic, but a jam is a jam is a jam.

This stuff doesn't happen every day, but it happens every year somewhere in the state. Along with other stuff that would be strange or unique to your experiences.

And a town of less than 10,000 people can be jammed up from one end to the other if its the only town with a lot of goods and services in a huge surrounding area. The size of the place doesn't matter if it's the only place for miles around that has a grocery, some retail shopping, etc. Country folks still buy all that stuff, and they go to where it is, just like in a big city.

One of the things folks begin missing the most who move from a crowded city are the crowds. A person's life adjusts in unconscious ways to where they live, and when a lot of everything that has become accustomed disappears, the loss isn't always pleasant. It takes some adjustment to the remoteness and isolation out here for some people.

And some never adjust. I know several people who moved here to get away from the madding crowds, and moved back again after a few years. They come to miss all the conveniences, the excitement, the noise, and all of the humanity. Nature can be mighty quiet and mighty boring, distances can become daunting, and the climate can be threatening to folks who have spent most of their lives in a big city. Not at first, but after the new wears off.

You have to come, drive around, look around, and experience how congestion is here. We can't describe what you really want to know in words adequately.
I absolutely concur with you 100%+ on all of the above.

" some never adjust. I know several people who moved here to get away from the madding crowds, and moved back again after a few years. They come to miss all the conveniences, the excitement, the noise, and all of the humanity. Nature can be mighty quiet and mighty boring, distances can become daunting, and the climate can be threatening to folks who have spent most of their lives in a big city. Not at first, but after the new wears off.

You have to come, drive around, look around, and experience how congestion is here. We can't describe what you really want to know in words adequately".

But I have been here too long (all of my life) and I have to say you will never die of loneliness here because of all the activity, crowds, long lines etc. which is what I don't need anything to do with the overpopulation issue and 3rd world this place is becoming.
Pay more here and get alot less in services in as far as police, taxes maintenance of roads. I could go on and on but I need not bore anyone here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho