Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 03:56 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Basically, if you think of Idaho as cold country, that's really all you need to know. Any little preparation will get you through most of the sudden weather changes.

If I plan to spend a cay in the countryside, I might be wearing nothing but a t-shirt and flip flops on my feet, but I'll throw in a jacket/blanket and a pair of boots in the rig. Most days here are like anywhere else- true to the season. Most nights are cool, even in mid-summer, in most of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I saw it snow in Moscow, Idaho in June one year. It came down pretty hard too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I'm not as familiar with Idaho Falls, but I'd say that up in the panhandle almost anything is possible from a weather perspective, even at the lower elevations around CdA. That said, snow in the summertime in CdA would be quite unusual, and not at all a normal weather event. This year our last snowfall (so far!) happened on April 11th.

Where do you live in Iowa? I spent a lot of time in the Cedar Rapids area during my working days - our company HQ is located there.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No.
Unexpected snow will fall anywhere in the state, and in the valleys as well as the mountains.
Idaho's terrain makes its weather complicated year round, but a person develops a sense of impending weather after living here for a while.
Newcomers soon learn to be prepared, too. Carrying a coat in the car, or something that will keep a person warm, can become a habit here. What you encountered on the Bozeman pass happens regularly, but rarely in the lower elevations, but snow is almost a given in the high mountains at any time of year.
Thank you all for your responses. I felt kind of silly for asking but glad to hear it's usually just a freak occurrence. Had to make sure .

Hi Cnynrat. I've been living in Cedar Rapids since 1994. My ex-husband was offered a job here after the down turn in the defense economy in SoCal, but not at the company you were employed with. Now that I'm near retirement in 5 years, with a daughter living in Portland Oregon, and the rest of my family in CA and Utah, I'd like to live closer if I can afford housing. i would be interested if you have any comments comparing infrastructure, people, or other observations between CR and Spokane/Coeur d Alene metros. Thank you!

Old 05-19-2017, 09:42 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
Thank you all for your responses. I felt kind of silly for asking but glad to hear it's usually just a freak occurrence. Had to make sure .

Hi Cnynrat. I've been living in Cedar Rapids since 1994. My ex-husband was offered a job here after the down turn in the defense economy in SoCal, but not at the company you were employed with. Now that I'm near retirement in 5 years, with a daughter living in Portland Oregon, and the rest of my family in CA and Utah, I'd like to live closer if I can afford housing. i would be interested if you have any comments comparing infrastructure, people, or other observations between CR and Spokane/Coeur d Alene metros. Thank you!
ennaf,

First, a caveat that while I spent a lot of time in Cedar Rapids I didn't ever live there, which I think would give you a somewhat different perspective. My interactions with the people were all pretty much with other Rockwell employees, which could be different than the general population. Also, while we spend some time in CdA, we actually live in Sagle which is just south of Sandpoint.

As far as infrastructure is concerned, I don't think you'd find much lacking in the CdA area, and especially so if you included Spokane. I'd note that the distance from the center of CdA to the center of Spokane is fairly similar to the distance from CR to Iowa City. CdA has plenty of shopping, and most of the large chains are represented there. There is a reasonably good selection of restaurants in CdA, probably more than you find in CR.

Your closest airport is Spokane (GEG), which is on the western side of Spokane. It's a little further away compared to the distance from CR to CID, but not too far. GEG is a bigger airport than CID, but still small and easy to navigate. Unless you are traveling to a handful of cities around the west/northwest, in most cases you will still need to fly somewhere to get on another plane to fly to your destination, pretty much like CID.

The largest health care facility in north Idaho is in CdA (Kootenai Regional). We haven't had occasion to use it, but from what I understand it's fairly well regarded. There are a couple other hospitals in Spokane. If you take the regional perspective there are a similar range of choices to what you'd find in CR.

We found the people of north Idaho to be very friendly, especially in comparison to SoCal where we lived before moving to north Idaho. Walking around downtown Sandpoint it's not unusual for people you don't know to greet you, which is not common in SoCal. We live in a fairly rural area in Sagle where the nearest neighbors are some distance away. We're on 20 acres, and most of the surrounding properties are that size. We've found neighbors to be friendly, helpful if/when you need it, but at the same time they tend to maintain their distance in a way. I think many people choose to live in a rural area like ours because they are looking for a degree of privacy or solitude, and people seem to take a default position to be respectful of that. Living in the middle of Sandpoint or the CdA metro area could be quite different.

Culturally, I think north Idaho is more like Iowa City than it is like Cedar Rapids. Interestingly, I think both cities have made appearances on Outside magazines "Best Outdoor Towns" list, but the reasons I think they have some similarities go beyond that. In the case of Iowa City I think the university pulls in a younger and more dynamic culture than what I saw in CR. Here it's the outdoor recreational opportunities that have been a lure for many younger people to settle here. I've heard Sandpoint described as a hippy town, and I find that to be an apt description. I think there was a migration of young people to the area back in the 60's in the back to the earth days, and you can still see echos of that in the area today. There are a lot of what I call the "crunchy granola crowd," and I don't mean that all in a disparaging way.

If you get outside Sandpoint or CdA you find an older and much more conservative population than what you find in the cities themselves, which I think may also mirror what you find in eastern Iowa. So although Sandpoint itself leans liberal, Bonner County is very conservative. I'd guess the average age in Sandpoint is quite a bit younger than outside the city limits where you find more older retired people like me.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Dave

Old 05-21-2017, 09:05 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
ennaf,

First, a caveat that while I spent a lot of time in Cedar Rapids I didn't ever live there, which I think would give you a somewhat different perspective. My interactions with the people were all pretty much with other Rockwell employees, which could be different than the general population. Also, while we spend some time in CdA, we actually live in Sagle which is just south of Sandpoint.

As far as infrastructure is concerned, I don't think you'd find much lacking in the CdA area, and especially so if you included Spokane. I'd note that the distance from the center of CdA to the center of Spokane is fairly similar to the distance from CR to Iowa City. CdA has plenty of shopping, and most of the large chains are represented there. There is a reasonably good selection of restaurants in CdA, probably more than you find in CR.

Your closest airport is Spokane (GEG), which is on the western side of Spokane. It's a little further away compared to the distance from CR to CID, but not too far. GEG is a bigger airport than CID, but still small and easy to navigate. Unless you are traveling to a handful of cities around the west/northwest, in most cases you will still need to fly somewhere to get on another plane to fly to your destination, pretty much like CID.

The largest health care facility in north Idaho is in CdA (Kootenai Regional). We haven't had occasion to use it, but from what I understand it's fairly well regarded. There are a couple other hospitals in Spokane. If you take the regional perspective there are a similar range of choices to what you'd find in CR.

We found the people of north Idaho to be very friendly, especially in comparison to SoCal where we lived before moving to north Idaho. Walking around downtown Sandpoint it's not unusual for people you don't know to greet you, which is not common in SoCal. We live in a fairly rural area in Sagle where the nearest neighbors are some distance away. We're on 20 acres, and most of the surrounding properties are that size. We've found neighbors to be friendly, helpful if/when you need it, but at the same time they tend to maintain their distance in a way. I think many people choose to live in a rural area like ours because they are looking for a degree of privacy or solitude, and people seem to take a default position to be respectful of that. Living in the middle of Sandpoint or the CdA metro area could be quite different.

Culturally, I think north Idaho is more like Iowa City than it is like Cedar Rapids. Interestingly, I think both cities have made appearances on Outside magazines "Best Outdoor Towns" list, but the reasons I think they have some similarities go beyond that. In the case of Iowa City I think the university pulls in a younger and more dynamic culture than what I saw in CR. Here it's the outdoor recreational opportunities that have been a lure for many younger people to settle here. I've heard Sandpoint described as a hippy town, and I find that to be an apt description. I think there was a migration of young people to the area back in the 60's in the back to the earth days, and you can still see echos of that in the area today. There are a lot of what I call the "crunchy granola crowd," and I don't mean that all in a disparaging way.

If you get outside Sandpoint or CdA you find an older and much more conservative population than what you find in the cities themselves, which I think may also mirror what you find in eastern Iowa. So although Sandpoint itself leans liberal, Bonner County is very conservative. I'd guess the average age in Sandpoint is quite a bit younger than outside the city limits where you find more older retired people like me.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Dave

Wow, yes, this is very helpful! Thanks so much. I work in Iowa City, and your observations about IC/CR is spot on. It sounds like a neighborhood very near CdA, possibly Spokane, may be a good fit. I prefer quiet and less crowded/traffic, but within 10-15 minutes to necessary amenities/healthcare for an older/single retiree.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:53 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamastr1217 View Post
I was born and raised in Indiana and am looking for a change of place, a place that's wild and forested with plenty of wildlife but away from metropolises, and i've narrowed in down to 3, Northern Idaho, Western Montana, or Alaska. I was wondering, what things about Northern Idaho would i enjoy over the other two options?
I do not know Alaska. I enjoy driving into Montana and buying lumber there. And I love having Western Montana nearby, esp the Bitterroot Valley and the area around the Clark Fork, but I love North and North Central Idaho. I would not call it a "poor man's Montana," as it seems to suggest that with extra money Idahoans would move to Montana. I don;t think so. But it is relaxed and to be enjoyed without pretensions. At least for now.

The area has not yet truly gentrified yet. It is growing (CDA/Spokane) and many newcomers are retirees.

I live in Sandpoint and love it, but Northern Idaho is exciting for what has not been done here.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: