Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:40 AM

69 posts, read 86,923 times

Advertisements

I agree.... We have decided if we stay here in Boise, that the house payment with utilities should not be more then my SS is going to be in 6 years.. My wife is a lot younger so it will only be mine for a while..
Even if we can qualify for 25% more, we are just not comfortable with that amount..
My wife is from Europe and we need to make trips there for her to see her family and would hate to be continually paying off a trip when I'm on a fixed income..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 03:06 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Take some time to browse the RE listings in the Sun Valley area. There are actually listings under 1 Million

{Idaho} Real Estate & Homes for Sale | Sun Valley Sotheby's International Realty - Sun Valley Real Estate

This one is "Price upon Request"
Hyndman Peak Ranch Ketchum Idaho 83340 Single Family Home for Sales

I want this one:
105 Farnlun Place Sun Valley Idaho 83353 Single Family Home for Sales

Another Guide:
http://www.mtexpress.com/area_guides...81a1b06a5.html

Old 07-20-2017, 08:23 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
It's worse then that...
Avg. wages in Idaho (no matter what you read) is $9-15 an hour...Yes there better paying but a lot harder to get and very few of them considering the work force and out of Country Temp workers taking the big $$$ IT jobs...
let's take an avg. of both of a married couple
$12 hr. ea. = $24 hr x 40 x 52 =$49920 we will call it $50,000 a year..
using an "How Much can I buy Calculator" from Realtor.com

Ok bills both of you work...you need to get to work but to be fair only one car payment.. of $300 and you have some credit cards and a student loan so you could get $12hr in Boise
We'll call the bills $500 a month
So how much do you think a couple without Daycare so far can save ? $50000/12=4166 a month before taxes.. what is taxes 12% or more 4166-12%=3666.00-health care(650 my company charges $425 ea. for each family member)= $3016
So after taxes and Health ins. you have $3000
Car ins. on two cars...$75
2925 left
Utilities $125 avg. 12 months
$2800 left
Rent $1100
$1700 left
Food $500
$1200 left
Dining out or movies or something for a pay back for hard work...
Dining out $100
Movies with fast food.. $35-50
$1100 left
Gas for two cars commuting, filled twice a month 15gals per car= 30 gals x 2.45=$74 x twice a month $150
$950 left

So maybe on a good month you could actually save $800 a month
$800x12= 9600
x24=19200
x36=28800
x48=38400
x60=48000

Ok somehow you saved for 5years without going crazy and you've got $48000 in your pocket...

With being married and a slightly above avg. Idaho wage for each of you...$50,000 yr income total
$500 in bills that are counted against the mortgage from lenders
$48000 down payment
4% interest rate

at debt to Income ratios
44% you could get a $251,000 home and it would only cost you app.(depends on taxes and other variables) $1336.00 mo.
50% $290600 payment app$1584

Oh and don't forget..the HOA fee's are counted as a bill and reduces your buying ability by that monthly amount, but most are reasonable ..$25-50 a month but that could reduce your buying power by the same..

A decent home in Boise starts at the $210,000... I would consider $200,000 a starter home in Boise now... The same house a year ago would of cost you $150000 or less

My Son bought a used home for $119000 two years ago...it's worth $180000 today..

My point to all this is the TRUTH of what is going on here in the Boise area.. the Truth of wages Vs. Housing cost... What happens if you have children and need to pay a daycare...??? that is $350 part-time to $500+ full-time for each child... that kills any saving money, you'd be lucky to save the 3%
You might be able to slide that by the lenders because it's not reported to the Credit Companies but not your pocket book

Just a little honest input from someone who is going through this...A Reality Check...
I can see you have a lot of thought into these numbers.
My questions are if you are a married couple with this scenario, why would you choose to have kids knowing the cost of daycare? I have heard of couples saying they would wait to be in a better financial place before starting a family.
Why do you have to start with a 200k house in Boise? For a starter home can't you get a cheaper home in Caldwell or Nampa? Many people get a cheaper home outside of their desired place to live and commute in as their first place to live. I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area and many have done so for as long as I can remember.
How about instead of buying a house they buy a duplex or triplex that needs a little work. Same financing but they can rent out the other units and cover the bulk if not all the payments. Do that for a few years then buy a house.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:19 PM

100 posts, read 143,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I can see you have a lot of thought into these numbers.
My questions are if you are a married couple with this scenario, why would you choose to have kids knowing the cost of daycare? I have heard of couples saying they would wait to be in a better financial place before starting a family.
Why do you have to start with a 200k house in Boise? For a starter home can't you get a cheaper home in Caldwell or Nampa? Many people get a cheaper home outside of their desired place to live and commute in as their first place to live. I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area and many have done so for as long as I can remember.
How about instead of buying a house they buy a duplex or triplex that needs a little work. Same financing but they can rent out the other units and cover the bulk if not all the payments. Do that for a few years then buy a house.

All excellent points but from what I have seen in SoCal, many young people want to start out with what their parents took 20 or more years to get. New house, new furniture, new cars and all of the rest. Then they have children, declare bankruptcy and get it all for free.

Hopefully young adults in Idaho have a better mindset than that.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:47 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta_Here View Post
All excellent points but from what I have seen in SoCal, many young people want to start out with what their parents took 20 or more years to get. New house, new furniture, new cars and all of the rest. Then they have children, declare bankruptcy and get it all for free.

Hopefully young adults in Idaho have a better mindset than that.
I don't think it just these two areas, but many. I like to think that the life and expectations are much more down to earth in Idaho, but it could be generational to some degree and also the influx of many outsiders moving to Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho