U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 23,163 times

Advertisements

Hi we have been very interested in moving to Idaho. It seems like a beautiful place to raise our three daughters 13, 11, and 9 year old. Our 9 year old is high functiong autistic. Could anyone tell me where the best services are for a child like my daughter?. It would be helpful to know what school district would be best to move into.
My husband is currently a tanker driver and was wandering if anyone could help us with the names of any petroleum companies?. Thank you for anyone that could help us with this information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 30,152 times
Hello, I just recentlty moved to Nampa school district 131, my son has autism and the school is great. They do everything possible to include him with other children without autism. My son is five, a bit younger than your daughter, but I think that it is a great school, Willow Creek Elementary. The school has a nice resourse room, and the teachers appear to sincerely care about the kids, Hopes this helps...

Old 12-11-2006, 11:56 PM

9 posts, read 43,838 times
I know that the special services in Bonneville School District 93, are excellent. My mother has actually worked for them for years and there are many great schools set up to handle kids with autism. There are a few petrolium companies around here, one to call into would be Conrad & Bischoff. Just google them and I'm sure you'll find a phone number.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 23,163 times
Thank your for all your help

Old 01-28-2007, 09:14 PM

16,487 posts, read 11,994,160 times
Default Re: best place to live child with autism

Hi, You would do best moving to the Boise?nampa area of the state. The bigger the city the more services available. We live in N. Idaho and have 3 sons with Asperger's syndrome (high level functioning, autism spectrum) and have very little services or support.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: best place to live child with autism

Hi, You would do best moving to the Boise/Nampa area of the state. The bigger the city the more services available. We live in N. Idaho and have 3 sons with Asperger's syndrome (high level functioning, autism spectrum) and have very little services or support.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 AM

66 posts, read 209,489 times
I can't discount brokencrayola's experience, but my friend (whose 9-year-old son is autistic) has been fairly impressed with the services in the C d'A school district (she moved here from LaGrande, OR). Brandon has a full-time aide who attends school with him. He's in a regular 5th grade classroom and the school has kept him and my son together because they feel (as Shauna does) that the relationship is good for Brandon. (Shauna says Nate treats Brandon like any other kid; I don't see that so much but I'm not the mother of the autistic son, and I don't have a lifetime of things to compare it to).

Almost anywhere you go, as the parent of a challenged child, you have to advocate, but Shauna has been generally impressed with the response she's gotten. I know that she's welcomed to the school, and you know how often the fighting parent of a challenged child becomes a pariah.

In the small congregation of my church over the past five years, we have had four autistic boys of varying ages and abilities, from one who is significantly developmentally delayed (and without the innate high intelligence of many children with autism) to Brandon (smart, more social than typical, significant communication problems) to two young men whose lives were severely impacted by their autism. I know one other mother of an autistic child (very high-functioning--most people don't realize she's autistic, just unusual :^ ) ) through the PTO here. Add crayola, and you at least know you'd be in good company as far as numbers go. This isn't that big an area.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,063 times
Hi my name is jessica and my husband and i live in caldwell and are thinking about moving sometime soon with our 4 children. 3 of them whom have autism. Where would the best school, help, and resources be avaliable @ somewhere not too far from where we live?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:34 PM

I would venture to say the bigger cities, like in and around Boise would have more funding, and thus offer more services. All 3 of my sons have Asperger's but it has been a struggle at times to get them what they need here in N. Idaho. We are practicaly last to get any money up here for anything to do with school.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 AM

5,550 posts, read 5,528,184 times
Lightbulb Look At The Parenting Section of CDF

Many may not be aware CDF has a parenting section. I believe special needs is a thread within the major category.

Any parent who has a child with a diagnosed illness already has a resource to ask about other areas: your child's medical team as well as current school district. I can tell you the best districts in the State of Idaho for working with various types of disorders, but it's pointless to some degree, IMHO.

Are you moving because your children have the diagnosis they do? If so do you want to be closest in the U.S. to one of the major Think Tanks about Autism Care?

Or, are you moving and wondered what Idaho would have to offer both in jobs and for your special needs kids? That's how I read your question, and if I did so in error, please clarify of what is drawing you specifically to Idaho vs. other states. In today's economy, I think it is very important to have a job waiting when one plans to move. Once a job is secured, then it is realstic to ask in the general area where you will be moving, in which district your children could potentially get the most help.

This may sound harsh and I don't mean it too. I spend the majority of my work time working with medically disabled kids. I've seen too many families move OUT of certain states to others as services for their children seemed easeir to obtain. Of course, they were unaware that perhaps another 100 of so families had made the same decision. And some children/families suffered greatly for decisions made that didn't take into account the needs of everyone, including a steady income.

Enrolling 100 special needs children in one school district is going to change things drastically in that District. Previously, X School District that did well with the Y children in their district; however, suddenly the district has to providee for about 50-100 more students with no additional funding. How can they do it? Additionally, parents who move for better school districts or accessibility to medical care etc. tend to not be employed in occupations for which they trained, are unable to secure steady work or will take a job at a significant salary difference.

I've seen this happen in other states and to a degree within certain school districts in Idaho.

I'd learn first where employment opportunities are. Your current doctors can easily research if certain sub-specialties are available in areas where jobs are available. Then ask people who know what resources are available. Also, as has been stated in various posts, there are different degrees of disabilities.
Some districts may be great working with X, but haven't had more severe students with Y disease.

It's important to make sure you're not trying to escape a life for one that sounds better. Sometimes with disabled children, the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence. Sometimes it is, but not always. Sometimes in moving from an area one doesn't realize certain supports/helps they had an no longer have.

Hopefully, your husband can find employment in an area that also provides the services you need for your children. Do check the parenting section out here. Also, make a list of what resources/supports you have now. Don't assume they will naturally be elsewhere as they may not be.

I do wish you the best of luck and admire your courage of looking elsewhere for a possible better life for your entire family. I honestly think it will be easier if your husband has a new job and then you can learn about options where you'll be moving. Can your children withstand stress very well? Most disabled people (children and adults) can't. What wil your boys do if dad has no job and is looking for one? What other stressors would you family experience?

I do sincerely mean this when I say good luck. I hope the right work opportunity comes to your family so you can find a better place for every member of your family.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho