Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 03:52 PM

66 posts, read 68,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Weather wise? Depends on if you are visiting to check out the winter activities or summer activities.
I guess my thought was that if I moved there, I should probably visit when the weather is at its ugliest to see if I can handle it. For Chicago, the best time to gauge whether you can handle our winters is to show up between Dec - Jan because the winter is typically at its worst around these months, and it's a very WET winter here because it's windy AND wet which makes the cold cut right through you. If it isn't wet it can get incredibly bitter cold. So yeah .. that was the idea. what would be the most challenging season for a non-native to get used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
The wildfire smoke would be a new experience, but that doesn't happen in all areas of the state every year.
That would absolutely be a new experience and one I have only heard about recently in the news. I would probably rent for a few years before investing but that would most certainly be a factor to entertain at that time.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:57 PM

thank you for all the responses. definitely helpful and very much appreciated!

Old 10-12-2017, 10:11 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,221,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
I guess my thought was that if I moved there, I should probably visit when the weather is at its ugliest to see if I can handle it. For Chicago, the best time to gauge whether you can handle our winters is to show up between Dec - Jan because the winter is typically at its worst around these months, and it's a very WET winter here because it's windy AND wet which makes the cold cut right through you. If it isn't wet it can get incredibly bitter cold. So yeah .. that was the idea. what would be the most challenging season for a non-native to get used to.
That said, I would suggest coming in January or February when we're in the below freezing temps (at least in SE Idaho). It's a drier climate than what you're used and yes we do indeed get the winds that cut right through you! I've been in both areas during Winter months and both are as equally chilling, just in different ways.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:10 PM

29,184 posts, read 22,216,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
That said, I would suggest coming in January or February when we're in the below freezing temps (at least in SE Idaho). It's a drier climate than what you're used and yes we do indeed get the winds that cut right through you! I've been in both areas during Winter months and both are as equally chilling, just in different ways.
Yup.
January has a way of redefining cold for a lot of first-timers here. A day spent in temps that are 20 degrees below zero defies all words. It must be experienced to know what it truly is like.

But there's always an upside; once you know how to get along at -20º, when it drops down to -40º, which is really rare, you know what will need to be done and how to get through the cold snap.

The real cold never lasts for long very often, but no one ever knows what the winter will bring. There are often months when it never gets warmer than zero during the dead of winter around the solstice in the daytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho