Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 12:19 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,868,170 times

Advertisements

Since Deary and Bovill are both towns up by Moscow, can anyone tell me about these towns. I'm looking more about information on the weather, snow amount and is the
winds through this area bad. Does anyone know if you can grow a GARDEN in the area??

I'm Living in the McCall area and looking to retire down the road, toward Lewiston. Thought before prices really go up, we would invest now and plan to move later. Just would like a place with a little more warmth, in the growing season then we do here. Sorry to hijack the thread, just thought since the places were close someone would have information. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 12:24 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,688,476 times
We go to Pony Club camp every summer and some shows in the fall in Deary, and while I can't advise you about winter conditions...I have to say it is just beautiful there. Definitely a longer growing season than up here in north Idaho and milder temps with less snowfall. I love it there.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
We go to Pony Club camp every summer and some shows in the fall in Deary, and while I can't advise you about winter conditions...I have to say it is just beautiful there. Definitely a longer growing season than up here in north Idaho and milder temps with less snowfall. I love it there.
Thanks for the reply. We were up around Moscow, Kendrick and Julietta this last summer. I have heard about the Bovil Loop, just haven't made it that far.
"CABIN FEVER" is starting to set in here and I heard the weather was nice towards Lewiston, so maybe, it's time to put the dogs in the truck and try to find "DIRT". Snow gets to be depressing around this time of year.

We were looking up in Northern Idaho last spring. It's beautiful up there, but I feel I would be moving from one resort town to another and the weather is just as cold in McCall as it is North.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 43,421 times
Default Living in Moscow

I live in Moscow and the winters get snow but it usually melts after two days. This year was an exceptional snow year where it didn't melt. The palouse area is all dependent on rain (dry land farming). You will not see irrigation sprinklers here but miles and miles of lentils, wheat, barley,canola, peas, etc...over rolling hills. It is very beautiful. when we want to get away from cold or overcast we go to Lewiston, which is dry and warm and reminds me of Boise.
The only complaint some might have of Lewiston is that it stinks from the paper mill. I don't mind it at all but others in my family can't stand the smell.
Oh.....We also go to Lewiston to shop at Costco and Home Depot etc.... and to ride bikes along the river on the path. Moscow has a beautiful bike path from Troy through Moscow to Pullman. Moscow is falso ull of educated people being close to two Universities. Many in Moscow are environmentally minded and recycle a lot. there is a very popular and wonderful organic food store here as well as a great huge supermarket where people from all over the world like to shop.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,538 times
I lived in Deary for 4 years. It is a nice community with very nice people.

It is not a resort town. Most of the people in town work in the timber industry in one form or another. Many are loggers, some work for the state or U.S. Foresrt Service, others work either for Potlatch or Bennett Lumber Products. Other people work in either Lewiston or Moscow. Some work for the U of Idaho.

The city limits make up about 1 square mile. The population is just over 500 people.

It is not similar to Lewiston or Kendrick that are down in canyons. It is roughly 3,000 above sea level (Lewiston is around 800'). During the time that I was there ('94-'98) we only had one really cold spell that went down to -27 one morning during a wekk that was -20 each night. Summer was hot and dry often hovering around 100.

Everywhere that I have lived has had people who knock the schools and those who rave. The high school has students from Bovil and Elk River as well as Deary and the surrounding countryside. They were graduating about 30 students a year as I recall. The year that we left, one student had a full ride scholarship at Harvard. My wife and I helped her move into the dorm, so I know this to be true. The high schoolers that we new were exceptional students which may be more a testimate to their families, but they did get their educations right there.

Crime was not a problem. Most peole were very eager to help if you needed any and never seemed to expect anything in return. They also seemed to like to respect peoples privacy and did not drop by unexpectedly.

I really enjoyed living there and miss it quite a bit.

Keep in mind that it is 25 miles to your grocery shopping and any movies or other kinds of stores and entertainment in Moscow (or 40 to Lewiston). There is a nice local cafe and a store where you can get groceries, but not where most would do their full shopping. Moscow does have everything most people would need or want and Pullman Washington is just 8 more miles. The universities (Idaho and Washington State) draw in a lot of good cultural activities including good concerts of all kinds.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 PM

35 posts, read 239,748 times
If you want the growing season and light winter you will have to stay down in the clearwater and salmon river canyons. The elevation is key, and Boville and Deary will have plenty of winter most years, maybe not as much as Mccall, but way more than the river valleys. What you seem to be after would be Kamiah, Orofino, Lenore, Peck, Kendrick, Julietta, Culdesac, etc.....

Old 05-31-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millagerobert View Post
If you want the growing season and light winter you will have to stay down in the clearwater and salmon river canyons. The elevation is key, and Boville and Deary will have plenty of winter most years, maybe not as much as Mccall, but way more than the river valleys. What you seem to be after would be Kamiah, Orofino, Lenore, Peck, Kendrick, Julietta, Culdesac, etc.....
We have been looking around this area for awhile and finally decided to venture up farther. Your sooooo right, elevation is the key. I'm looking for hot, but not as hot as Lewiston. We do like above Orofino, except for the winters and driving looks alittle dangerous.

Thanks to you and yport for your information!!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 AM

35 posts, read 239,748 times
You might try Julietta or Kendrick. Kamiah is nice too, farther up river than Orofino, but bigger valley so actually usually gets less snow than Orofino. You can check current listings on our website under the MLS search tab Idaho Land and Home - Kamiah Idaho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho