Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 02:54 PM

67 posts, read 89,441 times

Advertisements

I live in CDA. People do go back to California or other urban areas. I don’t hear of it a lot, but when I do it is for financial/job reasons mostly. Some people try flying back and forth, but that gets old. I would say the long, hard winters come in second. Other reasons I have heard include poor schools, lack of entertainment and shopping, minimal public assistance options, fewer healthcare resources, and realizing things other than housing aren’t that much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Sorry but if one is on a fixed income having worked the last say 50 or so years.......yeah....I feel they should have an exemption. If I had boatloads of money with a tremendous 401K and pension and such sure....perhaps there should be some taken. But my main point is for those at a lower and fixed income it should be a pass.

These are the people you don’t want to move to your community. The “I got mine, now everyone else is on their own”

Old 02-17-2018, 03:11 PM

1,014 posts, read 726,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmmhc View Post
I live in CDA. People do go back to California or other urban areas. I don’t hear of it a lot, but when I do it is for financial/job reasons mostly. Some people try flying back and forth, but that gets old. I would say the long, hard winters come in second. Other reasons I have heard include poor schools, lack of entertainment and shopping, minimal public assistance options, fewer healthcare resources, and realizing things other than housing aren’t that much cheaper.
Where we live now is where quite a few long time N. Idahoans are now. Funny thing is we didn't even know it when we moved here, but it is great to be with people from where you come from. The winter is not really what makes us leave, but we use it as an excuse.

Most of the reasons you listed as why locals leave is actually why we were there.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Where we live now is where quite a few long time N. Idahoans are now. Funny thing is we didn't even know it when we moved here, but it is great to be with people from where you come from. The winter is not really what makes us leave, but we use it as an excuse.

Most of the reasons you listed as why locals leave is actually why we were there.
I think the locals leave CDA looking for what CDA was in 1950. Plus, the increases in housing costs have encouraged them to sell and buy in lesser markets. It seems they move north or east. The reasons I gave were my impression as to why California transplants move back to California.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:35 PM

1,014 posts, read 726,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmmhc View Post
I think the locals leave CDA looking for what CDA was in 1950. Plus, the increases in housing costs have encouraged them to sell and buy in lesser markets. It seems they move north or east. The reasons I gave were my impression as to why California transplants move back to California.
As far as Ca. transplants as think you may be right. Seems a lot of locals that stay get up around Moyie, east of Moscow and southeast Idaho. We jokingly call Kootenai county, "little calif."

Jobs are a dime a dozen now days. anyone that isn't working, doesn't want to.

Enjoy it now, because like you know, it will change, can't stop it now.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:40 PM

I actually enjoy living in a tourist destination city and appreciate the businesses that an increased urban population brings. I realize that places me in the minority. I am not from California. Sometimes I think people wanting to move to Idaho think it is a big open carry, anti tax state. That is true in some areas, but not CDA imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho