Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:55 PM

169 posts, read 198,408 times

Advertisements

Sorry Dmmhc, but homeschoolers have better test scores than public school students. Check out Idaho coalition of home educators webpage for stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 11:05 AM

32 posts, read 67,393 times
Banjomike, you made me giggle 😀. "A happy medium between money and pain". That sums up so many things in life...lol!

Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmmhc View Post
Not to mention, unschooling for many in Idaho is the same as no schooling. They are breeding a whole group of future welfare dwellers. “I don’t want my kids to take the state tests” is code for “they won’t pass!”
Unschooling takes a holistic approach to education, and allows children to follow subjects of passion. Yes I've run into folks who choose not to educate their children under the guise of homeschooling or unschooling, but that has been the exception not the rule.

As far as welfare goes, that requires huge reforms of it's own. I hardly think a high school diploma wards off the temptation to suckle of the tit of the taxpayer, if anything it seems to encourage it these days.

My children are getting a fantastic education in philosophy, English, basic mathematics, earth science, chemistry, as well as in welding, framing, animal husbandry, electrical, plumbing, and many other subjects.

We just don't
1. Do it by a strict schedule
2. Assume everyone has the same interest/ aptitude
3. Pretend education that occurs in artificially lit rooms while sitting at a desk for 7 hrs is superior.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:27 AM

57 posts, read 117,913 times
My kids are home educated, I do not like the term unschool as it inspires a negative thought process... My kids learn based on their interests, and most that meet them (including my ex- in laws, who were so sure my kids would be dumb as a bag of hammers) are intrigued and surprised at their vocabulary, and the 'spark' they have in regards to imagination, creativity, and general interest in learning about everything around them.

I've seen a few posts by dmmhc now that lump 'unschoolers' into a opinionated-driven misconception. I personally know kids who are now 17-18 and were homeschooled in the un-school way (interest based learning), and they are some of the smartest kids I've ever conversed with. I think it's a shame to lump any group into a definition as you do.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:30 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beehivesjoe View Post
We were planning on moving to Boise because we've heard it's the best place for home schooling and raising a family. We absolutely hate how dry it is! The air quality seems pretty low as well.

We visited Coeur d alene and absolutely loved the area and how green it is! We are from a small town of 10,000 people so we don't really like the idea of sitting in traffic which is very low in CDA.

I haven't been to Moscow but it looks like it could be a great place as well! I love the fact Pullman is nearby and they both have a small town community and the fact they have colleges there is always something going on. My only concern is during the summer it completely empties and the town pretty much goes empty. What is the population of locals there year round? Is it a good area to raise a family or is it to college oriented and not a lot of family activities?
I'll talk mostly about Moscow since I lived there for 3 years as a student. It's a very fine small town and I think having a university makes it much more appealing. It's true that Pullman and Moscow thin out over the summer but that's just a break, I don't see a problem with that and you'll have much less traffic to deal with. I wouldn't expect a major home schooling community in Moscow (if someone knows better than me, I'll retract) if that matters to you.

Cda is a beautiful community and would be less dry (except summer) than Boise in particular.

Are you bringing your job and income with you or will you need to obtain a source of income (aka a job)? If you do need to find a job, Boise is where it's at in the state of Idaho, nowhere else comes close. I honestly like all 3, if I were picking I would go with Boise (I prefer the city) and wife would go with Cda (wife wants land with views) and Moscow is nice if you have a job at the university.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:04 AM

85 posts, read 137,758 times
Only been in Moscow for 4.5 years but have been told by a home school family from CDA that there is much less in Moscow for HS support.
We home schooled in Florida and our Daughter is starting here next year with our Grandson.
It seems to be more of a small group (ie. close friends) kinda thing round these parts and I don't know if that is an easy door to open.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:37 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
I've heard about 1/3 of local Moscow kids are homeschooled. I don't know if that is true, but I do know that a lot of people homeschool here.

As an aside, Moscow schools are usually rated as some of the best in the state. And, Moscow has been listed in magazines (can't recall which) as the best place to raise kids in Idaho.

All in all, it is a pretty decent place to live if you want a small university town.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:20 PM

67 posts, read 90,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKatie3 View Post
Sorry Dmmhc, but homeschoolers have better test scores than public school students. Check out Idaho coalition of home educators webpage for stats.
Homeschoolers in Idaho aren’t tested

Old 05-01-2018, 09:33 PM

67 posts, read 90,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exi-cali View Post
I've seen a few posts by dmmhc now that lump 'unschoolers' into a opinionated-driven misconception. I personally know kids who are now 17-18 and were homeschooled in the un-school way (interest based learning), and they are some of the smartest kids I've ever conversed with. I think it's a shame to lump any group into a definition as you do.
I think there are lots of groups of homeschoolers, each with their own caveats, who are probably falsely lumped together. I have found when people are moving from out of state and mention unschooling, they expect to find the interest based educational opportunities you are providing your children. Many larger communities have very active unschooler groups. I don’t see such an active community of unschoolers here. Those I have met here, who claim to be unschooling, are not schooling at all. Idaho allows them to fall under the radar. There are rare families like yours who are taking the concept seriously. But I don’t think anyone would argue there is an active, committed, unschooling community in this area, at least not in the true sense in which the unschooling movement was founded.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:17 AM

1,487 posts, read 781,364 times
Default Home schooling

I think if a parent is a teacher him or herself, with no blemishes on their teaching record, their child(ren) will most likely graduate high school with a higher adaptability to college material.
I think public education is for the most part, deficient in English skills(I mean all of it, grammar, sentence structure,etc.) but whoa, the math and science are piled high. Yes, it is the technological age, but the smartest people are well-rounded academically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho