Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:08 PM

14 posts, read 27,221 times

Advertisements

Looking for an affordable 3-4bd 2bth5 or so acre property within about 5 miles from the city. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or near the lake (Then I wouldn't be able to afford it). Any recommendations? Also I am in the brokerage industry and would like to move my family to a safe place (we live in Phoenix now). Is there a firm that you can recommend that may have employment opportunities? Much Thx.

Last edited by PG13; 12-24-2008 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 06:16 PM

39,793 posts, read 26,284,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
What is the difference between Sagle, Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry and Priest Lake in climate and just in general? Much Thx.

PG, it's always difficult to generalize in terms of weather, one storm will dump on one place and miss another, next one will be different. Priest Lake tends to get significantly more snow than the Sagle/Sandpoint area (essentially one and the same), Bonner's is probably inbetween. None are too bad...but then I'm originally from Buffalo! Elevation will make a huge difference in snow, more so than the specific location.

As to your more general questions between the 4 cities/towns, Sandpoint is by far the largest, and has the most "urban" feel, Sagle is much more rural, there is not much of a "downtown", just a few small businesses alongside Hwy 95, it's just a couple miles south of Sandpoint over the LongBridge. "Sagle" is somewhat hard to define though, the "town" isn't much, but the mailing address includes a pretty large area (mine included) that is mostly rural, with some beautiful views. Most rural properties are 5-20 acres, there isn't much in the line of 1/4 acre "suburban" lots in the Sagle area.

Priest is much more remote and isolated. In the winter there's pretty much one road in and out, it's maybe 45 miles over to Sandpoint. The primary winter business is snowmobiling, if that tells you anything. It's pretty big in that area, though the greenies are trying hard to shut it down.

Personally I tend to avoid the Sandpoint downtown, the main north-south route through the state (Hwy 95) runs straight through. Lots of noise and traffic, in the summer it can take upwards of 1/2 hour to get through town, kind of silly considering the size of the town. It should get a lot better in the next 4 years or so, there is a bypass being constructed (if it doesn't get held up in court again) that should help reduce traffic and return more of a small town feel to the city center.

Great area to live, especially if you are into outdoor pursuits. There is (or used to be, till wolves were introduced) good elk hunting, and some of the best snowmobiling and ATV riding in the country. If you like to play in the woods it's great...if you are expecting opera, probably the wrong place for you. My favorite part of the area is the millions of acres of national forest and state land to go recreate on, there are some awesome views that probably <5% of the people in the area see. Lots of places to camp outside of developed campgrounds as well.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 12-30-2008 at 06:24 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 AM

5 posts, read 12,724 times
Moved to the sandpoint area 20 years ago.It was nice at first but slid downhill once all the Californians came and drove up the prices.They want to change everything.There are far to many cliques for sure as well as those that seem to be larger than life and legends in their own minds.The schools are a joke and my kids graduated a few years ago and moved away because the good jobs are scarce here. Teachers are probably the worst in the state.We have a HUGE meth problem here as well as eastern montana.It is far from paradise.The last 2 winters have been really bad for snow (so much for the 07-08 winter being the 50 yr winter).Seems to be a good place for snowmobiling and hunting.Fishing on the lake is nothing compared to 20 yrs ago.I WOULD NOT WANT TO PUT KIDS THROUGH THE HORRIBLE SCHOOLS UP HERE.I WOULD LOOK AT cda area.Housing is way overpriced.i am going to be looking at the florida area for my retirement because i cant take the bad winters any more!!!!AND I DO MEAN BAD!!!!!!!!!!!The high school sports programs are a joke with the exception of Wrestling and Soccer.There are alot of small town politics in place her for sure!!!!!! So all in all if you are rich and Dont need a job and can afford to over pay for a house ,it is ok LOL

Old 05-14-2009, 01:29 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,797,863 times
FBS,

Thanks for sharing your view. I fear that you will get to FL and find the "grass isn't truly greener"....but I wish you good fortune in your search for a better place...

Old 05-14-2009, 02:15 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,257,121 times
Florida,

It sounds as though there was a mismatch from the beginning.

Housing prices are high, but on par if not cheaper with other towns in such beautiful spots. Prices in Bend & Whitefish are more expensive, as are Sun Valley and Jackson. But, there are plenty of nice homes that are modest and would not cost an arm & a leg. I agree that CDA is cheaper and offers more options, but apples and oranges, really.

Why do you say the schools are a joke...they are horrible? What gives? What were your expectations? I see the schools as "very decent." I do not expect the world of them nor all the bells and whistles.

Meth is a problem as it is for many northern areas of the country. Idle hands, you know?

Bad for snow? SP is at a latitude of 48* and an hour from Canada. Snow and cold are permanent fixtures of NID. Did you expect it to be different? Skiiers have been quite happy the past two years.

High School sports--the least of our worries. I like that school sports are not given the weight they are now given in the larger metro areas, where it has begun to resemble the attention paid to college sports. But...if my kids were star athletes perhaps I would feel more conflicted. But that is less a problem of SP and more a problem of small town life. On this, the CDA area would look more attractive.

Small town politics. 'Tis true. No way around that. Best solution is to make policies more transparent and make sure everyone can have their say and has access to due process and the channels of government. Beyond that, one or two individuals/families or 1/2 firms will nevertheless have disproportionate power since they have disproportionate influence on the market.

Income. I would put it differently. You definitely do not need to be rich to live in SP. However, everything turns on the definition of the word "rich." To me, the focus is less on income than family lifestyle and freedom, which are closer correlates to net worth than earned income.

To me, "rich" means employment is optional for both working-age spouses. Anything that follows is not rich in my book, but middle class. Next rung of the ladder is that employment is optional for one spouse. Next, partial employment is possible for both working-age spouses. Next, partial employment is possible for only one working-age spouse. Finally, both working-age spouses must work.

From what I see, SP is filled with the middle class and retirees. Trust fund babies? The garishly rich and bored? These have not made much of an appearance, other than with the second home crowd. Having to work 60+ hours/week to buy that nicer home or car, that ain't rich, that is American and behavior that should be incentivized.

However, I would say that it is increasingly apparent that SP is a difficult to live in the area if you are poor, uneducated/lowly educated, unemployed/underemployed...or all three. The days that such living can lead to a comfortable life will likely never return again, if in fact they were ever truly here. And quite frankly I have no qualms with this mild aspect of gentrification, although I would rather see those populations use available pubic resources to pull themselves up rather than see them move elsewhere and repeat their woes. Increasingly, incoming populations represent a very different demographic than what was here previously, with trends toward college and graduate degree holders and higher net worth. Neither of these trends are bad and we are certainly nowhere as demanding as in Sun Valley or Jackson.

I could never live in Florida as it would be too much of a mismatch for me, but that does not mean Florida cannot be the ideal fit for someone else.

Best of luck in the move...

S.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 9,203 times
Default Won't recommend Sandpoint

Sandpoint area is a weird place. while it has all the amenities mentioned by Sage and voted most beautiful small town by Rand McNally, there is a reason Walla Walla was designated most friendly. In my experience, SP'ers are corgial not that warm friendly feel you get from other places. A lot of Californians move here and the "locals" hate out-of -towners. I once got towed for having FL plates. I asked the guy from Clydes towing why he towed me when I clearly had a permit hanging from the mirror. He said a business reported me when they saw the plates and well, that was enough for him. $100. Everyone knows this is a DUI town, too. Be care. Its a major source of revenue for SP Police. Most of the shops on First Street are closed or vacant. The restaurants are so so. Schweitzer is "alright". Not a fantastic resort. Iin my estimation, great views, trails, snowmobiling, mediocre restaurants and entertainment (scarce, actually) and the people/politics here are the worst. Its commonly spoken here its the town that hates itself. Picture activist/not-local/liberal at war with leave-me-alone-local. And wait til you see the property prices. 5 acre plot, no structure, $99K (depending). Outrageous prices. These people think they have lottery tickets....I just contacted realtors and made fantastic offers until one of the desperate ones bit. Very tough to live here. Not many jobs either.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 AM

Default to floridaboundsoon

depends on which part of FL you go to...you may find something better you like. South FL (east coast/gold coast) is considered the happy-funtime-place. but its NYC aggression meets Caribbean sensibilities. SoFL (west) is the lazy gulf side. Tampa and south on the gulf is all retirement communities (pretty much). Orlando is pretty metropolitan. Disney is there. Jobs are not a problem there. Somewhat landlocked. NoFL and the panhandle is the "redneck riviera". could be a little Alabama...could be a little Georgia mixed in there but is the only real southern part of FL. No matter where you go you're going to find good fishing (offshore and not) and golf. No state taxes but of course property taxes are higher. good luck. watch out for gators. you are absolutely right about Sandpoint...just couldnt get to all the points especially the schools. the worst.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM

Default Sandpointian in denial

SP highschool IS a joke and is NOT preparing these kids for college. Teachers substandard/not dedicated to the kid academia, too many basket-weaving courses alloted and the school does a poor job of preparing the kids for ISAT nor do the kids score well. Here: Idaho State Department of Education - Assessment - ISAT Results . Check for yourself and compare to other states. You can also look up this school district record at NCES online. You'll see Mississippi school districts do better with much less revenue.
Small example of how these teachers care: Mr. Search, for instance, (english) has these kids grading each others essays/papers routinely because (from what he told me), he doesnt have time to grade them all. Can you imagine??? its the first time I've ever heard a teacher say that. He doesnt pass back tests or assignments unless you ask for them every time....just records grades. I have many many examples. Its so funny too. If you ask anyone around here they'll tell you (without any data)....yeah, everything is great here.....yeah, schools are great.
For those interested and know what Dual Enrollment is....they do have it here. But again, poorly integrated and not necessarily recommended by the school. Basically, at 16, your kid can go down to Bonner Shopping Mall in Ponderay where NIC has few classrooms and sign up. Yes, a shopping mall.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Default Sandpointian right on ONE count

yes. the point he/she makes on employment being optional. move here and try to get anything done right on your home. we have a saying here. anyone that has a truck and a ladder is a contractor. not only are most here under the impression that work is optional.....skill and knowledge of the trades is minimal...watch for scams. building codes here a nearly non-existent here and especially in areas like Sagle. there also is no enforcement even for public safety. Example: SP highschool is littered with code violations. One specific, but there are many: Any glass within 18" of a pedestrian traffic and glass-panel doors are supposed to be safety glass. Obvious, right??? While the HS was built that way...over time, maintenance has replaced many many doors and sidelights with regular plate glass. Obvious code violation. Students have often opened and allowed doors to shut too hard and broken the glass. Obvious safety issue. What does the school do...replace with more plate glass and charge the student who broke it. How do they know which student??? Expensive cameras. This happened to a friend of mine. She called me crying stating the SP Police would arrest her (then) 15 yr old daughter if she did not pay for the accidental breaking of an entrance door.

Other COMMON residential annoyances I have seen myself on various properties: Houses without soffit or crawl space vents, combustibles too close to fireplaces and woodstoves, improperly weatherproofed electrical exterior penetrations, no building paper or wrap under exterior finishes or siding, site grading TOWARDS the house,....oh, soooo many.

Yeah, Sandpointian. Work, even for able-bodied, is optional...with consequences.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,797,863 times
Richard,

You're welcome to your own opinion and anecdotal experiences, but it's the height of rudeness to join a forum and immediately condescend to everyone else. We're not all idiots because we don't agree with you or share your personal experiences. Post your views, but please avoid being insulting to other posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho