U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 852 times

Advertisements

We are seriously contemplating moving to the Moscow Idaho area. Right now we are not sure if it would be Moscow or Lewiston area. Our child is most likely going to University of Idaho and we want to stay close.
Are there any Manufacturing Plants in the area? I have several years of food/beverage manufacturing experience and want to stay in this field if possible. The problem I see is that most of the jobs that seem somewhat interesting, do not pay very well. But, I am sure that there is some company that can pay a decent wage. Can anyone be of help please.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 08:36 PM

7,672 posts, read 5,375,683 times
Manufacturing is greater in Lewiston somewhat because it has river access. Moscow is generally a one trick pony that being U o I. However retail has been increasing due to some larger population.

Lewiston is only 30 minutes away but the elevation presents much warmer temps year round. The commute is relatively easy but can get a bit dicey during the winter.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:24 PM

25,771 posts, read 17,229,317 times
Moscow was once known as the split pea capital of the U.S. I don't know if it's true any longer, but the Palouse is perfect for the crop, so I think it's possible some commercial food development came from it.

I'm sure the Moscow Chamber of Commerce could tell you more about it than anyone here could. Agriculture is still a big deal in Moscow and the University of Idaho is still the state's leading Ag college. The U of I's School of Agriculture has branches all over the state which are experiment stations that seletively breed plants and animals that are specifically developed for the mountain west.

So there could well be some job possibilities for you in either or both. But I'm pretty sure you aren't going to find the same salary scale here you may have enjoyed elsewhere. Idaho has always lagged behind when it comes to wages my entire life.

But at the same time, if you have some entrepreneurial abilities, and have some helpful connections, Idaho is a very good state to launch a business of your own. It's always risky, but Idaho doesn't get in the way of start-ups like some other states tend to do, and with cooperation, tends to help out an entrepreneur who's serious about building a business from scratch.

Chobani yougurt and Budweiser both really benefited from Idaho's cooperative spirit, and in turn, both of them, along with our state gained far more than they ever expected from starting a new business here. Budweiser's malting barley investment has made that division of the company it's most profitable, and Chobani was able to increase it's sales threefold after it's first investment.
Chobani found Idaho such a good state for their venture they added a much larger addition onto their yogurt factory that is now both the most advanced and has the lightest ecological footprint in the industry. And in return, both of those companies have hired lots of new workers who are now making very high wages.

Since I don't have any idea of what your plans are, I'm just tossing this out as a part of life. There's an upside and a downside to work here.

If your child is only thinking of the U of I and has not committed, your chances of finding work in your field are much greater in the Boise area, the S.E. Corridor, or the Twin Falls area than in Moscow. Boise is the center of most of our state's ag industry's commercial applications, while Idaho Falls is the center for much of our potato industry's fresh pack and processed potato products. And for Bud's malting barley plant and it's associated products.

Rexburg is rapidly developing its own industrial base with the support it's getting from BYU Idaho. Some has to do with non-agricultural products, but others do. Pocatello is the home of Idaho State University, and it too is an industrial center.

Boise State as an institution is as good as the U of I in most of what it offers, and ISU in Pocatello, The College of Southern Idaho in Twin, and BYUI in Rexburg and Eastern Idaho Technical College in Idaho Falls are all pretty good schools. They all offer specialities that none of the other colleges have.

It may be better for both you, and your child, to look at our other schools with your own career as a greater consideration in your move here than your child's interest in getting a degree here.

I think that if you did some serious exploration, you could find a place here that is fully satisfying for you and your child that won't require financial sacrifice on your part in moving to Idaho.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:52 AM

349 posts, read 932,553 times
More food manufacturing in the Twin Falls area.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:36 AM

221 posts, read 177,331 times
The rate button won't let me give you credit for that awesome post above banjomike so this is a manual credit entry. Lots of good info as usual.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:52 PM

7,672 posts, read 5,375,683 times
Another possible option is Tri Cities, WA about 2 and a half hours from Moscow. That may be too far but the area is the hub of Washington State food manufacturing. I have lost the link but google “Tri cities food manufacturing”.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:23 AM

2,081 posts, read 3,335,107 times
I live in Moscow. Not much manufacturing in town. Not aware of ANY medium/large scale food manufacturing, tho agriculture is an important part of the economy.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:24 PM

99 posts, read 130,799 times
Give your child some space to grow into a young adult and create their own life experience. Moscow is a small town. The last thing a teenager/young 20’s wants is to be out on a date and run into Mom and Dad.

Try Spokane for manufacturing jobs, they’ve got Global Harvest, Sodexo, Rich’s Foods, Land O Lakes, ADM, Dairygold, etc. Spokane is only about 80 miles from Moscow.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:47 PM

5,897 posts, read 5,511,131 times
The University of Idaho Food Technology Center in Moscow, Idaho allows small business owners to create and produce their own food products. | Edible Idaho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho