Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2006, 01:05 PM

26 posts, read 167,366 times

Advertisements

Anyone from Ceour D'Alene? It seems like a wonderful place... How is the weather? The amount of snow? Job market? How is the job market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2006, 10:50 PM

853 posts, read 968,527 times
Default Lived in CdA for two years

We have lived in Coeur d'Alene for two years. Moved here from New England.
For positives -
You cannot beat the summers here! You can count on sunshine every day, temps as high as 100 (on occasion), but primarily 80s and 90s during the day and nice and cool at night. Very rarely do we need AC during the evening hours. The lake is beautiful, although personally we prefer Lake Pend Orielle over Lake Coeur d'Alene and we are just ten minutes from the latter. One thing is certain - there isn't a shortage of beautiful lakes in this region - Hayden Lake, Priest Lake and so on.
The winters in Coeur d'Alene are mild and for the two years that we've been here there was very little snow. Of course, should you like to ski/snowboard/snowmobile etc. there is plenty of that just a short drive (Schweitzer is a little over an hour away). We moved here from Vermont, so please keep in mind that we were used to 30 to 40 below zero in the winter for weeks at a time. Also, snowfalls in Vermont could range from several inches to 3 feet at a time. After spending two winters here, I am certain that I could never go back to the bitter cold winters of Vermont.
The negatives-
Employment is definitely a challenge in this area. Wages are low, and good opportunities are not the norm. Seven or eight dollars an hour is more common than not. I know several husbands who work 2 and 3 jobs in order to help provide for their family. One thing is certain - the wages are disproportionate when compared to the cost of housing.
I hope this information is helpful to you!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:30 PM

853 posts, read 968,527 times
hehehehe Maybe someone should clue the United States Post Office as to the correct spelling of Coeur d'Alene as well! I absolutely refuse to write or type it that way - "Coeur D Alene". And equally annoying are those individuals who choose Coeur D'Alene.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:28 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,420 times
Ok I see how to spell it... Would someone be kind enough to tell me how to PRONOUNCE it?! Thanks! (real simple phonetics please)

Old 08-11-2006, 04:57 AM

273 posts, read 1,649,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum
Ok I see how to spell it... Would someone be kind enough to tell me how to PRONOUNCE it?! Thanks! (real simple phonetics please)
core-duh-lane
  1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters.
But that's all I wanted to say.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:19 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
Default Back to Idaho

Having lived in Sandpoint years ago and having had to leave..now I can hardly wait to get back to No. Idaho. Coming from the Seattle area which is totally nuts anymore. I feel very claustrophobic here.
I am looking to be somewhere around Coeur d'Alene.
I miss all that the country and people have to offer. I am lucky enough to have a place to stay and a job waiting. Good to keep and have true friends.

I also was fortunate enough to have worked and lived in the area for many years and I am sure it has changed, but, what area hasn't. I have hunted many areas and fished most lakes. Just need to be in the wild.

I have seen that Sandpoint has grown beyond its environment...now they are looking to put a "tunnel" thru town for the traffic...jesh...

Well to all those that have never lived in No. Idaho,(and there is a diff. from the Southern part)..good luck...
Keep yur head down...and 5" isn't a lot of snow..wait until you have 3-5' and do a little shoveling.
Oh, yeah..I am putting another plow on the truck..just in case..

Happy trails..
HW

Old 09-27-2006, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 14,099 times
I am back in AZ now but lived in Sandpoint for five years. Well, between Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry. I don't miss the winters there but the rest of it was pretty nice! I go back to visit now and then.

Main Street through Sandpoint was always a bottleneck. It's narrow and too many turns. They talked about a bypass when I was still living there but I guess it never happened? I was never sure where they could put one anyway. Where would they put a tunnel??

I always liked Coeur d'Alene and it's proximity to Spokane. I miss Spokane too but being back home in AZ I feel so much better, physically. Too cold up there for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho