U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 04:10 PM

102 posts, read 54,694 times

Advertisements

I understand Moscow and Pullman are both known as "college towns". That said, are fly fishing and hunting common recreation in that area? I see there are a few sporting goods stores and a fly shop in Moscow, which suggests at least SOME people there are into these things. What is the access to hunting like near Moscow compared to further North in CdA/ Post Falls and also further South in the greater Boise area? Thank you for your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 02:52 PM

Thank you.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:16 PM

5,897 posts, read 5,509,106 times
A lot of people won't share much about hunting / fishing places til they know you, if then. Good to trade, places you know or maybe beer.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
A lot of people won't share much about hunting / fishing places til they know you, if then. Good to trade, places you know or maybe beer.
I'm not asking WHERE people hunt/ fish, I'm asking IF people hunt/ fish anywhere in the area. I apologise if my question was misleading and it sounded as though I was asking for spots. I'm looking to move somewhere that has reasonable access to these things. Currently I live in a place that has extremely poor access. I would like to live somewhere where I do not have to drive 6 hours.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:30 AM

26,216 posts, read 34,847,244 times
It's very easy to look at a good map of Idaho. If there are rivers or lakes close, there will be fishing.

Hunting is a bit more tricky. You can't hunt on private property without permission. So for close by hunting, get a US Forest Service map and note where the federally owned forest lands and grasslands are located. You will be able to hunt there with the proper permits.

There are National Grasslands, where motorized vehicles are not allowed, by the way. But most grasslands, prairie, and badlands that are government owned are usually BLM land. That would be where you do your bird hunting. That information about where those are located is all available on maps

Old 05-08-2020, 01:06 PM

5,897 posts, read 5,509,106 times
From Moscow, most of your fishing and hunting choices will be at least 1-2 hours away but some decent options may be closer. Drive 4 hours and there are more options. It may not be 1st tier great and convenient but it is probably 2nd tier.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's very easy to look at a good map of Idaho. If there are rivers or lakes close, there will be fishing.

Hunting is a bit more tricky. You can't hunt on private property without permission. So for close by hunting, get a US Forest Service map and note where the federally owned forest lands and grasslands are located. You will be able to hunt there with the proper permits.

There are National Grasslands, where motorized vehicles are not allowed, by the way. But most grasslands, prairie, and badlands that are government owned are usually BLM land. That would be where you do your bird hunting. That information about where those are located is all available on maps
Thank you very much woodsmoke, this is very helpful! For fishing I am interested in finding wadable rivers which has been a little harder to do with just a map. Any tips for this?

Quote:
From Moscow, most of your fishing and hunting choices will be at least 1-2 hours away but some decent options may be closer. Drive 4 hours and there are more options. It may not be 1st tier great and convenient but it is probably 2nd tier.
Thank you, this was the type of information I was looking for.

Another reason I asked is because I will be looking to make some friends who are into hunting and fishing. Where I live presently, very few people are.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:20 PM

26,216 posts, read 34,847,244 times
The Gundog Forum has a lot of members located in Idaho, if you are interested in hunting birds with dogs.

ifish dot net has a few members in Idaho, although mostly it is members along the coast of Oregon and Washington. If nothing else, many of the people there would have fished in Idaho even if it isn't their normal fishing area. A bunch of nice people on that forum. There is a subforum for hunting.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The Gundog Forum has a lot of members located in Idaho, if you are interested in hunting birds with dogs.

ifish dot net has a few members in Idaho, although mostly it is members along the coast of Oregon and Washington. If nothing else, many of the people there would have fished in Idaho even if it isn't their normal fishing area. A bunch of nice people on that forum. There is a subforum for hunting.
Thank you again, I will be sure to bookmark this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho