Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 07:11 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'm leaving tomorrow, and the person I spoke with at the lodge where I'm staying listed some of the sights around there ... some of them were in Montana and north of the border. He gave no indication of anything being closed or restricted, but I wouldn't be surprised about the Canadian border being closed due to the COVID 19 fear. My understanding about Montana was the Governor recommended not visiting during the mitigation efforts, but the border wasn't completely closed. That was also back in April, so I hope things have eased since then. A good part of my trip will be through Montana.
I'm very confused about what's restricted or not in Montana. It isn't completely closed, for sure, and lately, I've been hearing of places where there aren't any restrictions or distancing, but I hear different things from folks who are living in different places.

I have been wanting to go spend some time there myself, as I have a lot of old friends who live in Missoula and Bozeman, and I want to see them.

Since I'm in the most vulnerable age category for the virus, I decided to just stay here for a while longer, before I road-trip over there. Before I go, I'll check Montana's state website for the latest info, and make plans afterward.

Traveling this summer looks like it's going to be Looney Tunes all over al summer long. I was all ready to take a cruise in February, but... virus. It's giving me cabin fever now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 09:11 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I'm leaving tomorrow, and the person I spoke with at the lodge where I'm staying listed some of the sights around there ... some of them were in Montana and north of the border. He gave no indication of anything being closed or restricted, but I wouldn't be surprised about the Canadian border being closed due to the COVID 19 fear. My understanding about Montana was the Governor recommended not visiting during the mitigation efforts, but the border wasn't completely closed. That was also back in April, so I hope things have eased since then. A good part of my trip will be through Montana.

Have a safe trip! If you're checking the forum while in Idaho, maybe you'd feel like joining a crew of volunteers on June 20, working on clearing a nature trail near Bonners?
https://bonnercountydailybee.com/new...projects-in-7/
Quote:
East Fork Boulder Creek- June 20 East of Bonners Ferry, this one-day trip starts near a historic “ghost town”, travels through beautiful forest, and ends near the alpine, rocky summit of Middle Mountain. Work will include brushing, water diversion, and some tread work.....
To sign up for these projects and see the rest of ITA’s North Idaho schedule, visit https://www.idahotrailsassociation.o...oming-projects.
We're facing similar problems with traveling to Idaho this summer. Normally we'd already be on our way, but this year we don't even know if we can get to our cabin in NID. Utah and Oregon have tightened their travel restrictions/lockdowns, and apparently Montana is also a problem. That rules out going up I-5 as well as I-15. We haven't looked into Nevada restrictions, because we don't want to travel up 93 in the summer heat. It's not so much the freeway access itself, but the services along the way. We have to have at least two overnighters, and we travel with dogs so we need rest stops. We can pack food and water, but we can't pack for every emergency, so it's a bit daunting. We live for our 5-6 weeks in NID every summer--but we also have to be practical and considerate.

AAA has a new mobil Triptik app with listings of all open rest stops, restaurants, etc which should be useful for all of us who desperately want to be on the road again:
https://triptik.aaa.com/home/index.html

Old 06-16-2020, 04:36 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
Quote:
The 14 day self-quarantine requirement for out of state visitors to Montana was lifted on June 1, so I think you should be good to visit MT. Along those lines, there has been a fair amount of news about Glacier NP opening up for the season, and I know of some Idahoans who have been there in recent weeks.

I did just hear an announcement this morning that the ban on non-essential border crossings to/from Canada has been extended for another month, to sometime in mid-late July (sorry, I forgot the exact date), so I don't think you'll be able to visit Canada just yet.

Dave

Old 06-18-2020, 09:39 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
Now that you mention it Dave...

Yes, Asheville has been on "the list" for a long time. It wasn't until recently I began to question it for retirement for a few reasons:
1) Housing costs have gone way up (big surprise right?) but still proabably a less than CDA
2) Traffic, especially on weekends, get REALLY bad - Asheville is a BIG weekend geteaway spot for folks from Charlotte and Knoxville who clog up the city, parking, etc. - locals hate it
3) No lakes like you have there. Lake Lure is basically it, and it lacks that big blue alpine water you have there. Murky with lots of coves is more like it. Oh, and the water moccasin aka "cottonmouth" snakes that swim in lakes. If I ever saw one of those forget it - I'd never be in the water again.
4) Tries too hard to be hip. Asheville has been cultivating a perception its a progressive mountain town, but its still just NC. Its no Bend, Boulder, Berkeley, Portland or Austin, so it feels a bit forced IMO.

That said, we're still open to it as a possibility. Asheville always ranks very high on many retirement lists and you could do worse.

The OBX - probably not. Hurricanes....tourists....desolate winters....did I mention hurricanes (and hurricane insurance?). We go to Nags Head every 4th of July and while it's fun, I'm bored by day 3 - can only sit on a beach so long. Not a whole lot to do there toherwise esp. during odff-season when half the coast is boarded up. And its basically one road up and down the island, so traffic or evacuations are miserable. They're getting hit with a hurricane as you read this!! Not a huge one but we're just getting started.

If we stay on this coast we'd probably consider Charleston first. Big city, good healthcare, tons of top dining, historical charm, airport...
For 10 years, we travelled all over the U.S. looking for a place to retire. CDA, Boulder, and western N.Carolina were all high on our list. We liked CDA so much, we visited several times, and even toured homes with a wonderful realtor. The one thing that helped turn us away from CDA was the amount of snowfall and the dreary winters. Boulder was way too expensive and the too dry. Hence, we settled on Hendersonville, NC in western NC about 22 miles south of Asheville. It is a beautiful small mountain town, that is consistently ranked as one of the best small towns in America; you'll see why if you visit there. The thing we love about western NC is it is green. It has 4 seasons and a relatively mild climate. There are 3 lakes within 45-min. to an hour from there - Lake Lure, Lake Jocassee, and Lake Keowee (the last 2 in SC). We love the coves. Very scenic, in fact Lake Lure is considered to be one of the most scenic lakes in America. The opportunities for hiking, biking, etc., are among the best. Snakes, typically, don't bother you unless you bother them. Hendersonville is in a great location, close to/between Asheville and Greenville, SC. Asheville is a unique city, certainly more progressive than its cousin Greenville. Greenville is wonderful too with a great downtown. We visited Bend. Too remote for us. As I said earlier, Boulder was a top finalist, but too expensive and too dry/barren. Berkeley and Portland too large. Love Austin, but a big city. It all boils down to personal choice. Scenery and natural beauty were very high on our list. We also wanted a small town, but convenient to larger metro areas. Thus, western NC was the right decision for us. Best of luck in making your decision!

Last edited by Lizap; 06-18-2020 at 10:10 AM..

Old 06-18-2020, 12:41 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
For 10 years, we travelled all over the U.S. looking for a place to retire. CDA, Boulder, and western N.Carolina were all high on our list. We liked CDA so much, we visited several times, and even toured homes with a wonderful realtor. The one thing that helped turn us away from CDA was the amount of snowfall and the dreary winters. Boulder was way too expensive and the too dry. Hence, we settled on Hendersonville, NC in western NC about 22 miles south of Asheville. It is a beautiful small mountain town, that is consistently ranked as one of the best small towns in America; you'll see why if you visit there. The thing we love about western NC is it is green. It has 4 seasons and a relatively mild climate. There are 3 lakes within 45-min. to an hour from there - Lake Lure, Lake Jocassee, and Lake Keowee (the last 2 in SC). We love the coves. Very scenic, in fact Lake Lure is considered to be one of the most scenic lakes in America. The opportunities for hiking, biking, etc., are among the best. Snakes, typically, don't bother you unless you bother them. Hendersonville is in a great location, close to/between Asheville and Greenville, SC. Asheville is a unique city, certainly more progressive than its cousin Greenville. Greenville is wonderful too with a great downtown. We visited Bend. Too remote for us. As I said earlier, Boulder was a top finalist, but too expensive and too dry/barren. Berkeley and Portland too large. Love Austin, but a big city. It all boils down to personal choice. Scenery and natural beauty were very high on our list. We also wanted a small town, but convenient to larger metro areas. Thus, western NC was the right decision for us. Best of luck in making your decision!
The OP lives in NC, so I assume they are familiar with Hendersonville.

They did know Lake Lure when I asked if that was a consideration for them, particularly since they don't want the harsher winters we have here. I've been to Lake Lure a few times. My parents spent their honeymoon there, and we've had a few family vacations at the same resort where they stayed. Lake Lure is nice, but honestly doesn't really compare to the lakes in North Idaho!

Dave

Last edited by volosong; 06-18-2020 at 03:14 PM..

Old 06-18-2020, 04:05 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
The OP lives in NC, so I assume they are familiar with Hendersonville.

They did know Lake Lure when I asked if that was a consideration for them, particularly since they don't want the harsher winters we have here. I've been to Lake Lure a few times. My parents spent their honeymoon there, and we've had a few family vacations at the same resort where they stayed. Lake Lure is nice, but honestly doesn't really compare to the lakes in North Idaho!

Dave

Love Lake CDA too. It is much larger than Lake Lure (50 miles versus 15 miles in area). Lake Keowee is larger at 29 miles. Lake Jocassee is the smallest of all at almost 12 miles, but the most scenic of all, IMO. As I noted, we travelled over most of the U.S. for 10 years, looking for a place to retire. Scenery was one of our primary criteria. CDA was right up there with western NC and others like Boulder. If CDA had milder winters, it might have won out.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:38 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Love Lake CDA too. It is much larger than Lake Lure (50 miles versus 15 miles in area). Lake Keowee is larger at 29 miles. Lake Jocassee is the smallest of all at almost 12 miles, but the most scenic of all, IMO. As I noted, we travelled over most of the U.S. for 10 years, looking for a place to retire. Scenery was one of our primary criteria. CDA was right up there with western NC and others like Boulder. If CDA had milder winters, it might have won out.
I like western NC. It's the only country I ever considered moving to that lies east of the Mississippi.

Reading your post made me want to go back and re-visit some of the places I liked so much. It's been a very long time since I was there last.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:13 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post

We're facing similar problems with traveling to Idaho this summer. Normally we'd already be on our way, but this year we don't even know if we can get to our cabin in NID...We haven't looked into Nevada restrictions, because we don't want to travel up 93 in the summer heat. It's not so much the freeway access itself, but the services along the way. We have to have at least two overnighters, and we travel with dogs so we need rest stops. We can pack food and water...
Not sure from where you are starting. When I made the trip, I started in the Antelope Valley. Went up the Owens Valley and cross over into Nevada outside/north of Bishop. Picked up the 95 to the 80 freeway, then to Winnemucca. That was a nice "half way" stop with plenty of hotels. North out of Winnemucca, again on the 95 into SE Oregon and eventually to the 84 freeway west of Boise. Keep on the 84 to Tri Cities, then a straight shot to Spokane.

Did the trip enough that I have my gas stops pretty well defined. Bishop, Hawthorne, Winnemucca, Marsing, (first stop inside Idaho), Kennewick Costco, then home. Few real rest stops, but lots of pull-outs for overnight big-rig sleep stops. Other than Nevada, plenty of towns along the route. Can be hot in the summer.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-23-2020, 07:46 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Not sure from where you are starting. When I made the trip, I started in the Antelope Valley. Went up the Owens Valley and cross over into Nevada outside/north of Bishop. Picked up the 95 to the 80 freeway, then to Winnemucca. That was a nice "half way" stop with plenty of hotels. North out of Winnemucca, again on the 95 into SE Oregon and eventually to the 84 freeway west of Boise. Keep on the 84 to Tri Cities, then a straight shot to Spokane.

Did the trip enough that I have my gas stops pretty well defined. Bishop, Hawthorne, Winnemucca, Marsing, (first stop inside Idaho), Kennewick Costco, then home. Few real rest stops, but lots of pull-outs for overnight big-rig sleep stops. Other than Nevada, plenty of towns along the route. Can be hot in the summer.
Thanks, Volo! We're starting from San Diego East County, so it is usually best for us to go up I-15 all the way to 90 in MT, and then west on 90 to 200 to Clark Fork. But over the past 14 years we've tried lots of different routes, except 93 up through NV. We've done the Owens Valley to Winnemucca route, too. We love Owens Valley, it's one of our getaways. If we don't go up I-15 through MT, we have two other preferred routes: from I-15 to 84 to 95 and up through Riggins to CdA and Sandpoint, or up I-5 past Mt. Shasta to Bend, and on up through the Columbia Gorge to the Tri-Cities, and Spokane.

I really enjoyed going up 395 the whole way to Pendleton, through Fox Valley, but it is a very slow route. And since it is totally unpredictable whether motels and restaurants are going to be open, and whether those that are open are pet-friendly, we have to plan very carefully, so we will probably stick to I-15 to 90 to 200, and research whether travel is permitted in UT and MT before we take off. This is one year I wish we had an RV...

Old 06-24-2020, 09:50 PM

551 posts, read 803,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

I went that way several times from Lancaster except I passed Bishop and turned off the 395 near Mono Lake to Hawthorne and north to the 80. I liked the rest stop at June lake since it had a disabled person restroom that I could take my mom into. That sure was a long drive to Winnemucca. Glad I don't have to do that drive anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Thanks, Volo! We're starting from San Diego East County, so it is usually best for us to go up I-15 all the way to 90 in MT, and then west on 90 to 200 to Clark Fork. But over the past 14 years we've tried lots of different routes, except 93 up through NV. We've done the Owens Valley to Winnemucca route, too. We love Owens Valley, it's one of our getaways. If we don't go up I-15 through MT, we have two other preferred routes: from I-15 to 84 to 95 and up through Riggins to CdA and Sandpoint, or up I-5 past Mt. Shasta to Bend, and on up through the Columbia Gorge to the Tri-Cities, and Spokane.

I really enjoyed going up 395 the whole way to Pendleton, through Fox Valley, but it is a very slow route. And since it is totally unpredictable whether motels and restaurants are going to be open, and whether those that are open are pet-friendly, we have to plan very carefully, so we will probably stick to I-15 to 90 to 200, and research whether travel is permitted in UT and MT before we take off. This is one year I wish we had an RV...
If you are unable to make it up to your cabin, since I'm in Spirit Lake, I can drive over to CF and take photos of your place and send them to you if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho