Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 11:24 AM

159 posts, read 187,990 times

Advertisements

Could I get opinions on living in Hagerman?
For retirement. I've seen older posts, but I'd like recent input. Thanks

Last edited by Chowgirl; 06-24-2020 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 01:30 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Hagerman hasn't changed very much, so I suspect most of the older posts are still fairly accurate.

Honestly, I think the only way to know if Hagerman would suit you is to visit and spend a little time there.

It's a small rural town that's quiet, surrounded by farmland, and has a slightly warmer climate than most of South Idaho because of its low elevation. While it isn't in a highly scenic spot, it's a pleasant place, even though there's not a lot happening there.

It's close to Twin Falls, and that's where all the big-city stuff is.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:34 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I PM'd you Chowgirl

Old 06-24-2020, 10:51 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hagerman hasn't changed very much, so I suspect most of the older posts are still fairly accurate.

Honestly, I think the only way to know if Hagerman would suit you is to visit and spend a little time there.

It's a small rural town that's quiet, surrounded by farmland, and has a slightly warmer climate than most of South Idaho because of its low elevation. While it isn't in a highly scenic spot, it's a pleasant place, even though there's not a lot happening there.

It's close to Twin Falls, and that's where all the big-city stuff is.
Not much happening there sounds great to me. Lots of development happening now in Twin Falls.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:52 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Not much happening there sounds great to me. Lots of development happening now in Twin Falls.
After I posted, I realized it's been about 8 years since I last spent some time in the Hagerman valley, and then I realized Twin's growth may have spilled into Hagerman too, along with Wendell, Jerome, and some of those other little towns around Twin.

Idaho is growing a lot faster than at any other time in my life, and I need to be more careful in my posts; I still cruise around, but there are lots of places here I haven't spent any time in for longer than I realized.

It's one thing to drive through a little town, but it's another thing entirely to spend a few days in one. And only time tells you if a town has changed, and how much.

Hagerman looked just the same 8 years ago as it did 10, 16, or 20 years ago. But the biggest growth has come in the past 8 years, so my earlier post could be way off.

I have a friend there, and once had another, but he died about 5 years ago. It was thinking about him when I realized how long it's been since I last saw the one who's still living.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
After I posted, I realized it's been about 8 years since I last spent some time in the Hagerman valley, and then I realized Twin's growth may have spilled into Hagerman too, along with Wendell, Jerome, and some of those other little towns around Twin.

Idaho is growing a lot faster than at any other time in my life, and I need to be more careful in my posts; I still cruise around, but there are lots of places here I haven't spent any time in for longer than I realized.

It's one thing to drive through a little town, but it's another thing entirely to spend a few days in one. And only time tells you if a town has changed, and how much.

Hagerman looked just the same 8 years ago as it did 10, 16, or 20 years ago. But the biggest growth has come in the past 8 years, so my earlier post could be way off.

I have a friend there, and once had another, but he died about 5 years ago. It was thinking about him when I realized how long it's been since I last saw the one who's still living.
Best way is to walk the town. Take a furry friend and walk the dog. The difference is night and day between using a car and walking it.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:17 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
As a resident I have to say it's been pretty darned wonderful. I escaped Utah as it was becoming RHINO/Liberal and I'm delighted to say Hagerman is about as much like Boise as orange is to purple. We are a very conservative lot here and I along with all I've come in contact with here don't encourage it changing. Very refreshing to say the least. I have 2 folks on our street who retired here from California and I was quite relieved they left to become a part of us, NOT change us. Can't say that for Boise so they have to deal with that on their own. If one is looking for all of the conveniences of life a city offers look elsewhere. Being here is a compromise.......safety and peace and quiet. The cities won't provide that anywhere near this degree. If I need those things the city has I can take a 35 minute drive. One has to decide if that is a issue or not. outside of our town's limits is nothing but farms for the most part, which is a GOOD thing in my opinion. We have a small doctor office, dental office(with limited hours), several small restaurants, a small grocery store, a couple of nick knack shops, auto repair, a couple of gas stations(overpriced), hair stylist. I'd say the town is about 3 long blocks long and you're out of it on your way either to Bliss or Thousand Springs. Half mile from the Snake River. Last I checked the population was just over 900 within the city limits which isn't very large.
From the statistics I was told by the city we have about a 65% senior population, so I guess I fit right in. There is a school but children are a relative minority so you won't have much trouble finding quiet here We also have a dog ordinance (maximum of 2 allowed) and NO barking or you'll get a visit from our animal control guy. Yeah some might not like the way things are around these parts. But to ME it's a slice of heaven

Old 06-28-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
As a resident I have to say it's been pretty darned wonderful. I escaped Utah as it was becoming RHINO/Liberal and I'm delighted to say Hagerman is about as much like Boise as orange is to purple. We are a very conservative lot here and I along with all I've come in contact with here don't encourage it changing. Very refreshing to say the least. I have 2 folks on our street who retired here from California and I was quite relieved they left to become a part of us, NOT change us. Can't say that for Boise so they have to deal with that on their own. If one is looking for all of the conveniences of life a city offers look elsewhere. Being here is a compromise.......safety and peace and quiet. The cities won't provide that anywhere near this degree. If I need those things the city has I can take a 35 minute drive. One has to decide if that is a issue or not. outside of our town's limits is nothing but farms for the most part, which is a GOOD thing in my opinion. We have a small doctor office, dental office(with limited hours), several small restaurants, a small grocery store, a couple of nick knack shops, auto repair, a couple of gas stations(overpriced), hair stylist. I'd say the town is about 3 long blocks long and you're out of it on your way either to Bliss or Thousand Springs. Half mile from the Snake River. Last I checked the population was just over 900 within the city limits which isn't very large.
From the statistics I was told by the city we have about a 65% senior population, so I guess I fit right in. There is a school but children are a relative minority so you won't have much trouble finding quiet here We also have a dog ordinance (maximum of 2 allowed) and NO barking or you'll get a visit from our animal control guy. Yeah some might not like the way things are around these parts. But to ME it's a slice of heaven
"I have 2 folks on our street who retired here from California and I was quite relieved they left to become a part of us, NOT change us".
Yes that is the name of the game and it should be.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:45 AM

99 posts, read 56,229 times
Might be 3 soon........

Old 06-28-2020, 11:21 AM

159 posts, read 187,990 times
Thank you all very much! Gives me a very good idea of life there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho