Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 07:31 AM

894 posts, read 2,190,025 times

Advertisements

This question is for folks who live in Lehmi County/Salmon.

Are yall seeing Californians moving into the area like they are everywhere else? They have ruined my small town where I am from. I need to get my kids out of here, and into another small western cowboy town. The town has quickly and in short time become a city, and the city is growing around us and it's full of the color blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 05:30 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,605,891 times
Use this tool with Lemhi County and "inbound" to see where people are coming from. https://flowsmapper.geo.census.gov/map.html?
Some from CA, rest of west coast, rest of Idaho, a few spots in MT, etc., even your area. Modest amounts.

More recent info? Call a Salmon real estate agent or maybe the county clerk.

Lost 100 people in last 9 years. I dunno about 2020.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:33 PM

349 posts, read 1,035,343 times
A lot of those moving here are from California, they have bought up most of the hones that have sold in the past few years but especially this past year making real estate prices jump.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:27 AM

279 posts, read 481,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
A lot of those moving here are from California, they have bought up most of the hones that have sold in the past few years but especially this past year making real estate prices jump.
Yes. There seemed to be a major influx of Californians especially over the last year. It's kind of crazy how quickly the real estate prices escalated everywhere in the area.

Also, HI jadbad! Are you back in Salmon?

Old 10-01-2020, 10:49 AM

6,330 posts, read 7,676,913 times
About four years ago, the owner of a gun shop in the high desert of SoCal closed her shop and moved with her family to Salmon. The typical reasons. She had a small shop, but could get anything, (that CA laws allowed). Great prices too. Her gunsmith was first rate.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-01-2020, 01:46 PM

7,341 posts, read 12,564,225 times
Don't forget that the recent civil unrest situations are prompting people in Portland and Seattle to seek quieter pastures. The influx from OR and WA may equal the CA influx. I just saw a YouTube show from early September where people were camping in trailers and RVs in NID, fleeing CA, OR, and WA, waiting to make a bid on any property that becomes available. That may be a temporary crisis response, but it is real, nevertheless. Whether it also applies to Salmon and Eastern Idaho, I don't know.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:41 PM

5,558 posts, read 4,905,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
About four years ago, the owner of a gun shop in the high desert of SoCal closed her shop and moved with her family to Salmon. The typical reasons. She had a small shop, but could get anything, (that CA laws allowed). Great prices too. Her gunsmith was first rate.
CA. roster of firearms is shrinking that's allowed to be sold in this republic.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:41 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,157,994 times
After all the money went out of logging and mining, Salmon has had a hard time making money there ever since.

It's too hard to reach to attract much new businesses, and just a little too remote to become a population hub that's much larger than the city is now.

This is not unique; Challis is very similar, as are several other small cities in central Idaho. Their only reasons for existence have disappeared or changed, but they are all so old and well-established there is a core population in them all who will never leave.

It's quite similar to the situation I saw in Colorado, where there are dozens of small little towns that stubbornly refuse to die. They have all suffered so many hard times that the suffering has become a part of life in them all and is accommodated.

It's very beautiful in Salmon for sure, at least when it hasn't caught fire. The last big burn was around 20 years ago or a little more, so the forest has recovered pretty well, as pine forests usually do.

Maybe it will be a long time before there's another major fire year there, but in Salmon, there are no small wildfires. The area is so steep and rugged any fire is slow to fight.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:54 PM

5,558 posts, read 4,905,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
After all the money went out of logging and mining, Salmon has had a hard time making money there ever since.

It's too hard to reach to attract much new businesses, and just a little too remote to become a population hub that's much larger than the city is now.

This is not unique; Challis is very similar, as are several other small cities in central Idaho. Their only reasons for existence have disappeared or changed, but they are all so old and well-established there is a core population in them all who will never leave.

It's quite similar to the situation I saw in Colorado, where there are dozens of small little towns that stubbornly refuse to die. They have all suffered so many hard times that the suffering has become a part of life in them all and is accommodated.

It's very beautiful in Salmon for sure, at least when it hasn't caught fire. The last big burn was around 20 years ago or a little more, so the forest has recovered pretty well, as pine forests usually do.

Maybe it will be a long time before there's another major fire year there, but in Salmon, there are no small wildfires. The area is so steep and rugged any fire is slow to fight.
Like Arco, Atomic City = small cities in central Idaho.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:24 PM

279 posts, read 481,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Do you know what she did in Salmon? Did they open up a small sporting goods shop by chance? Just curious. Everyone in Salmon seems to know everyone and I remember meeting a gal/owner the one time we stopped in to the new (at the time) sporting goods store and we got to talking. This was in 2016. They ended up closing up a shop a year later and moving back to CA. Just wondering if by chance it was the same person. She had daughters that played ice hockey for the local team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho