Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 10:54 PM

46 posts, read 59,637 times

Advertisements

Anywhere in ID where you can buy or rent a home that has no (or extremely minimal) man-made noise?

At minimum:
-No train noise
-No nearby active airports
-No audible vehicle murmurs
-Very little air traffic in general and rarely if ever anything low-flying.
-No distant machine noises (motors/compressors/etc.)
-No low-flying or unusually loud aircraft (e.g. military aircraft. Nothing against the military but I just don't want to live under their training routes)
-No sonic booms

Also looking at other states too. Anywhere. Feel free to suggest.

Thanks.

I don't care about services, etc. Very minimalist here. Willing to travel hours for that if necessary or do 100% delivery of essentials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 10:37 AM

8,380 posts, read 8,589,909 times
You could look around Headquarters, Dixie, Burgdorf / Warren, Midvale / Council, Challis, May, McKay, Lemhi, Spencer, Swan Valley, Chesterfield / Henry / Wayan, Carey, Oakley, Almo, Murphy, Rogerson, Pine, Rockland, etc.

You've made similar threads for 6 states and Mexico with little visible follow-up. How many sites have you visited or planning to soon? Actively checking Craigslist, airbnb long term and other rental sites? Any get close to being acceptable? Hard to guess how quiet is quiet enough. You probably want a place with a minimum road and very few neighbors. Those spots exist if you look hard (online and making phone calls and checking bulletin boards at grocery stores, etc.) These are probably too close to noise for you, right? https://www.millerengineering.com/rentals/idaho-rentals What about this one? https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/apa...290352953.html Or this one?
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/42815118

How much winter will you accept / handle?

Do you have any or much experience with rural or remote rural living? Are you willing to try the best place you can find within 3 months for 6 months or a year? Or is it likely a year or more off?

Would you take one or more vacation rental to facilitate rigorous on the ground search for longer term rental? Such as at a place like this? https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11968810 or this?
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/41837857

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-13-2021 at 11:32 AM..

Old 03-13-2021, 12:02 PM

8,380 posts, read 8,589,909 times
You said no budget elsewhere. If it is truly unconstrained, you can find some fabulous quiet places for $3-5,000 per month.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:57 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
Absolutely nowhere near North Idaho, so scratch that area off your list. There is lots of train noise, traffic noise, off road vehicle noise, airplane noise.

Try up in Northern Alaska. Other than that, there are people everywhere and humans are noisy.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 03-13-2021 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 06:18 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,443,260 times
Here you go... west of Salmon. I have seen even more remote and isolated properties in that area in the past, so IMHO it is a good locale in which to look. You'll get some occasional vehicles on this remote road plus you have a couple of neighbors, but it look like you want to avoid the continuous man-made background noises and the very loud, abrupt man-made noises. Chains saws are a possibility in remote forest areas.

https://www.salmonidahoproperty.com/...-Fork-ID-83466

If you have the budget, then there are more.

Does wind and wind noise bother you?

Old 03-14-2021, 04:40 PM

138 posts, read 262,779 times
The Owyhee's.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:34 PM

40 posts, read 39,870 times
Sounds like a scam.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:17 AM

5,557 posts, read 4,897,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromnoise82 View Post
Anywhere in ID where you can buy or rent a home that has no (or extremely minimal) man-made noise?

At minimum:
-No train noise
-No nearby active airports
-No audible vehicle murmurs
-Very little air traffic in general and rarely if ever anything low-flying.
-No distant machine noises (motors/compressors/etc.)
-No low-flying or unusually loud aircraft (e.g. military aircraft. Nothing against the military but I just don't want to live under their training routes)
-No sonic booms

Also looking at other states too. Anywhere. Feel free to suggest.

Thanks.

I don't care about services, etc. Very minimalist here. Willing to travel hours for that if necessary or do 100% delivery of essentials.
Those are items on my list
I would be very curious as to which parts of Idaho from East Idaho to Ada County perhaps away from Boise because of the traffic up to Weiser where I can get away from these noises into a newer home 10 years max to new construction and maybe up to one hour max away with some distance between neighbors for privacy and a house with a sewer system . I don't want to see or hear kids/adults riding up and down the streets with their bikes, cars, ATV's and loud bass stereos or any of that side show crap.
Maybe Middleton, Parma, Nampa, Fruitland?

Last edited by nowhereman427; 03-15-2021 at 04:27 AM..

Old 03-15-2021, 12:02 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,343,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Those are items on my list
I would be very curious as to which parts of Idaho from East Idaho to Ada County perhaps away from Boise because of the traffic up to Weiser where I can get away from these noises into a newer home 10 years max to new construction and maybe up to one hour max away with some distance between neighbors for privacy and a house with a sewer system . I don't want to see or hear kids/adults riding up and down the streets with their bikes, cars, ATV's and loud bass stereos or any of that side show crap.
Maybe Middleton, Parma, Nampa, Fruitland?
That's a mighty wish list. You would enjoy Dickshooter in Owyhee County.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:37 PM

29,169 posts, read 22,137,026 times
I think no one can answer the questions posed here.

Who can foretell what Idaho is going to be like in 10 years?
That's long enough that things will change, and Idaho has always changed along with the rest of the country in times of great change.

Other times bring change more slowly sometimes. But big social changes tend to stay around and last longer in states with small populations
That 'side show crap' you mentioned may not be happening in Weiser yet, nowhereman, but in time, the fad will reach Weiser, and when it does, it could linger there for decades after it disappeared everywhere that's larger in size and less remote.

Idaho is a state that suddenly became the most popular go-to place in the region. When lots of people are moving in, they're all bringing what they like with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho