Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH of these towns would you choose to move to?
Coeur d’Alene 9 42.86%
Wallace 0 0%
Hailey 5 23.81%
A different town - if you choose this, name which town 7 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 12:33 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Only a hour to o Sun Valley from Fairfield Idaho
I always pass right by Fairfield on the way from Boise to Sun Valley. Have never stopped to check it out. Maybe next trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 12:43 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,106,410 times
I'll type about the towns i know

1.)Preston- ??

2.)Bruneau - Tiny south desert town. 10+ miles south of Mountain Home. Has a gas station/restaurant/store for shopping. Poeple go to MT Home and Boise for shopping.

3.)Featherville - tiny like Bruneau but in the trees and mountains 30 miles from Mt Home Weekend HOT spot for Boise RV, ATVs, snowmobiling, and hunting. People shop in Mt Home and Boise. There is a volunteer fire and ambulance service. Nearest medical is in Mountain Home. I would expect nearly no internet service.

4.)Hailey - Worker's town and main shopping supporting Ketchem and Sun Valley. Not as pretty an area as you would think. Busy airport for private jets from California and other southern areas. Full of high end vacation homes and condos. You can see many on airbnb. Touristy winter and summer. Quite a bit of tourist shopping, restaurants and groceries, and, medical support. Lots of events through the year. We see a lot of traffic going to Twin Falls and Boise for shopping, etc.
5.)Ketchum - The same as Hailey. They pretty much run together. Ketchem has the actual ski resort and touristy downtown.

6.)Stanley - About an hour north of Ketchem on the northern edge of the trees. Not much in town. Locals complaining in the paper that outsiders are moving up from Sun Valley taking prime ag land and costing local jobs. Shopping would likely be in Ketchem or even Twin Falls.

7.)McCall (long valley) - Beautiful area, beautiful lake and mountains. Includes Brundage Ski Resort and a winter carnival. Lots of Boise influx on weekends in the winter and summer. All the basics in town. Boise is the nearest airport and major shopping destination a couple hours south. Bottle neck road between McCall and Boise, especially on weekends... traffic is bad.

8.)Lewiston - It's been a while, but it was a lumber town and the furthest inland ocean Port on the west coast ( barge service from Portland via the Columbia and Snake rivers). On the western edge of a beautiful wilderness area and the Clearwater River. I'm sure you can do all shopping in town.

9.)Moscow - Home to Idaho State University and about 5 miles from Washington State University in Pullman, WA. Pretty area. Lots of winter snow. Lots of trees. No freeways, so no real traffic. Shopping, services and medical would all be in the area. Lots of college events and support, so I would expect great internet. Spokane is a few hours north for the airport, etc.

The rest of the Northern towns its been 15 years or so since I've been there. I expect they have changed a lot.

10.)Post Falls
11.)Coeur D'Alene
12.)Weiser
13.)Payette
14.)Priest Lake
15.)Sandpoint and Boundary County
16.)Bonner's Ferry
17.)Hayden Lake
18.)Athol
19.)Spirit Lake

Old 02-01-2021, 03:13 PM

82 posts, read 460,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Good observation... and begs the question of why choose these 3. Maybe if that can be answered by the OP in more detail, then the search can be better focused.

BTW, as for sunshine, parts of ID in the southern parts of the state are quite sunny and are much moreso that the US average. Northern ID is where the winter sunniness is limited.
Wondering based on your comment - is the summer sunshine similar to the winter - I mean up north does it stay gray year round, or only in the winter? I am assuming its sunny year round in southern Idaho? Do you mean south of Hailey? (Not sure what parts/towns comprise 'southern' Idaho).

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2021, 03:19 PM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
I'll type about the towns i know

1.)Preston- ??

2.)Bruneau - Tiny south desert town. 10+ miles south of Mountain Home. Has a gas station/restaurant/store for shopping. Poeple go to MT Home and Boise for shopping.

3.)Featherville - tiny like Bruneau but in the trees and mountains 30 miles from Mt Home Weekend HOT spot for Boise RV, ATVs, snowmobiling, and hunting. People shop in Mt Home and Boise. There is a volunteer fire and ambulance service. Nearest medical is in Mountain Home. I would expect nearly no internet service.

4.)Hailey - Worker's town and main shopping supporting Ketchem and Sun Valley. Not as pretty an area as you would think. Busy airport for private jets from California and other southern areas. Full of high end vacation homes and condos. You can see many on airbnb. Touristy winter and summer. Quite a bit of tourist shopping, restaurants and groceries, and, medical support. Lots of events through the year. We see a lot of traffic going to Twin Falls and Boise for shopping, etc.
5.)Ketchum - The same as Hailey. They pretty much run together. Ketchem has the actual ski resort and touristy downtown.

6.)Stanley - About an hour north of Ketchem on the northern edge of the trees. Not much in town. Locals complaining in the paper that outsiders are moving up from Sun Valley taking prime ag land and costing local jobs. Shopping would likely be in Ketchem or even Twin Falls.

7.)McCall (long valley) - Beautiful area, beautiful lake and mountains. Includes Brundage Ski Resort and a winter carnival. Lots of Boise influx on weekends in the winter and summer. All the basics in town. Boise is the nearest airport and major shopping destination a couple hours south. Bottle neck road between McCall and Boise, especially on weekends... traffic is bad.

8.)Lewiston - It's been a while, but it was a lumber town and the furthest inland ocean Port on the west coast ( barge service from Portland via the Columbia and Snake rivers). On the western edge of a beautiful wilderness area and the Clearwater River. I'm sure you can do all shopping in town.

9.)Moscow - Home to Idaho State University and about 5 miles from Washington State University in Pullman, WA. Pretty area. Lots of winter snow. Lots of trees. No freeways, so no real traffic. Shopping, services and medical would all be in the area. Lots of college events and support, so I would expect great internet. Spokane is a few hours north for the airport, etc.

The rest of the Northern towns its been 15 years or so since I've been there. I expect they have changed a lot.

10.)Post Falls
11.)Coeur D'Alene
12.)Weiser
13.)Payette
14.)Priest Lake
15.)Sandpoint and Boundary County
16.)Bonner's Ferry
17.)Hayden Lake
18.)Athol
19.)Spirit Lake
Thanks so much for your rundown of the various towns - it really had helped clarify a bit more these towns. From your list McCall sounds the nicest. Definitely think there are many lovely places in ID, looking forward to exploring them - and I really appreciate your input!

Old 02-01-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You're welcome, mango.
I was pretty sure you didn't understand what our road conditions can be like- how could you if you've never been here?

The most important thing of all in your visit (or visits) here is to avoid rushing. Take your time with everything, slow it all down so you can take it all in and have some time to think about things and let your mind roll around it all.
The life here is simply very different from anywhere you have lived before. Try to come with all your expectations wiped off your slate, so you can see what things actually are like here without the obstructions of false beliefs fogging up the realities.

I'm sure that you'll find some pleasant surprises when you don't expect them, and you'll find some potential problems you haven't ever thought of before as well.

Don't think that life here is going to be so radically different there's no comparisons between where you live now and here; Idaho is still part of the U.S., and we all live with a lot of basic stuff that's everywhere nowadays.
It might take a long drive to the closest store, but you will still be able to find a Home Depot or a Walmart or an Outback Steak House.

But if your health is bad, our distances here should be something that plays a big part in a decision as to a place to call home. You don't want to be in the back of an ambulance any longer than necessary.
That too is part of our shared modern life.
Very true, about the road conditions - probably will slow down the driving for sure....I definitely am coming with a clean slate and no expectations one way or another. My health is not bad - but your comment about ambulances/hospital and their proximity surely is something one should consider. Thanks for your feedback!!

Old 02-01-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
High speed internet could be an issue for you. In Mountajn Home i pay for 40 megabits per second, and get 32 via dsl. A co worker lives 3 miles out of town and can get 4 meg only via a peer-to-peer antenna system. He doesn't get good enough cell service to use a 4g hot spot either. I would guess most small towns will be similar with dsl or cable in town proper, but won't extend out far at all.

Let us knowhow your trip goes. It sounds like fun!!
Oh wow - ok glad to know this - I will try to test it as I go around the state. I will let you know how it all goes! Thank you for all the input, it has been GREATLY appreciated!!!

Old 02-01-2021, 06:56 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,473,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangococonut View Post
Wondering based on your comment - is the summer sunshine similar to the winter - I mean up north does it stay gray year round, or only in the winter? I am assuming its sunny year round in southern Idaho? Do you mean south of Hailey? (Not sure what parts/towns comprise 'southern' Idaho).

Thanks!
From all I can read and find, it is the winter that is cloudier up on No ID. Draw a line on the map from Salmon to Moscow, and on and north of that line will be cloudier.

Southern ID, for purposes of 'sunniness', would generally start at about the latitude of Boise or a bit further north. Draw another line from McCall to Rexburg and that is roughly the norhtern edge of the sunnier region.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:28 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,106,410 times
Originally Posted by mangococonut View Post

Thanks!

In southern Idaho it is far sunnier than cloudy year round. It is high desert and that leads to a drier and sunnier environment. Rain and snow come in storms that usually last for a few minutes to a few hours. It is very, very rare for a full day of rain or snow down along the I-84 corridor and on the south slopes of the mountains.

It may stay cold in the winter and hot in the summer for extended periods (though this is a very mild/temperate year so far). Boise is subject to inversion problems that cause some smog/fog issues most winters (not so much this year), but 40 miles away in Mountain Home we avoid most of that. Then the whole state and region are subject to wildfire smoke during the summer and into the fall. Though Idaho, Oregon and Washington had mild wildfire seasons this past summer, there was plenty of smoke from California wildfires last summer (Canada some years as well as Washington and Oregon). It certainly doesn't affect our air quality every day, but can get "stuck" here for a few days/weeks in the summer and effect outdoor activities for those with breathing issues. It happened when I lived in Eastern Oregon, Montana and New Mexico. It's a western USA issue somewhere in the west every year. I would certainly take the summer smoke over the oppressive humidity of the east and southeast!!

Old 02-02-2021, 10:43 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Wondering based on your comment - is the summer sunshine similar to the winter - I mean up north does it stay gray year round, or only in the winter?
Summers in North Idaho are fairly sunny. Lots of cloud-free days, many days with scattered cumulus clouds, but rarely a heavy stratus layer, maybe a few days with alto stratus. Summers are glorious! Makes enduring the winter grayness well worthwhile.

There may be a few weeks with heavy smoke. Last year/summer was relatively smoke free. The year before was awful. Pretty much, all the smoke blows in from elsewhere. Canada, OR/WA, even NoCal.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-02-2021, 07:23 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Summers in North Idaho are fairly sunny. Lots of cloud-free days, many days with scattered cumulus clouds, but rarely a heavy stratus layer, maybe a few days with alto stratus. Summers are glorious! Makes enduring the winter grayness well worthwhile.

There may be a few weeks with heavy smoke. Last year/summer was relatively smoke free. The year before was awful. Pretty much, all the smoke blows in from elsewhere. Canada, OR/WA, even NoCal.
Idaho's a big state.
Last summer was awful for its wildfire smoke, down here in Idaho Falls, but 2019 wasn't bad at all when C d'A was suffering.
Today, it's the panhandle's turn. Tomorrow, it may be eastern Idaho's turn, and then central Idaho's turn.

You can run but you can't hide. She always finds us all in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho