Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 09:46 PM

29,183 posts, read 22,206,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Yes include Fruitland too.
The higher the elevation the cooler it gets?
I prefer the rural areas over the more highly populated areas (anything to get away from the traffic and traffic signs) but prefer cooler temps in 55-65 degrees.
Sure! Haven't you ever spent any time in the mountains? 1000 feet makes a lot of difference.

In Idaho, higher elevation makes for much longer winters along with cooler temps year round. When winter begins in early October and doesn't leave until mid-May, the temperatures will be much colder year round.

Jackson Hole is a good example.
Last week when Idaho Falls had a 65º day, Jackson was 47º. The low in I.F. was 24º, and 6º in Jackson.

I.F. is at 4705 ft. Jackson Hole is at 6311 ft. Downtown Boise is at 2704 ft. Payette is at 2194 ft.

Lower is always hotter.

I just realized something crazy- the Sake River is close to all of those towns! Payette has to be over 360 miles away from Jackson Hole.
The Snake is truly the mother of waters in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 11:37 PM

5,575 posts, read 4,933,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sure! Haven't you ever spent any time in the mountains? 1000 feet makes a lot of difference.

In Idaho, higher elevation makes for much longer winters along with cooler temps year round. When winter begins in early October and doesn't leave until mid-May, the temperatures will be much colder year round.

Jackson Hole is a good example.
Last week when Idaho Falls had a 65º day, Jackson was 47º. The low in I.F. was 24º, and 6º in Jackson.

I.F. is at 4705 ft. Jackson Hole is at 6311 ft. Downtown Boise is at 2704 ft. Payette is at 2194 ft.

Lower is always hotter.

I just realized something crazy- the Sake River is close to all of those towns! Payette has to be over 360 miles away from Jackson Hole.
The Snake is truly the mother of waters in this state.
The Snake River snakes around the whole state.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:03 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,452,311 times
Quote:
Yes include Fruitland too.
The higher the elevation the cooler it gets?
I prefer the rural areas over the more highly populated areas (anything to get away from the traffic and traffic signs) but prefer cooler temps in 55-65 degrees.
The drop in temperature versus elevation is generally true; it averages 4F lower for each 1000' increase in elevation. But that is not the whole story. Idaho Falls has a lot hotter max temps in summer than San Francisco but IF is 4000' higher ...so the elevation difference does predict all cases. And the overall feel in Idaho Falls will be different because the summer nighttime temps will drop a lot while SF will not drop much at all.

'cold pooling' is a big factor in the mountains everywhere. I've gone up 300' in elevation Stanley ID in the dead of winter on a still day, and the temps went up almost 15 degrees. And drove from Riverton Wy to Dubois Wy, a gain of 2000' in elevation, and saw a temp rise of 12 degrees; Riverton was having some strong coll pooling effect that winter day. The same is found in all mountainous areas, including back East. Dubois is higher in elevation than Jackson by 500' but is warmer in winter; probably the difference is being sunnier in Dubois in winter and less prone to cold pooling than Jackson. But Dubois is cooler than Jackson in summer; they probably get equal sunniness in summer.

So there are a number of other variables.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:55 PM

29,183 posts, read 22,206,470 times
Quote:
The Snake River snakes around the whole state.
Yes, it does. The Snake does some marvelous things snaking around from the southeast to the northwest and then back to the central west once more as it finally joins the Columbia. She's Idaho's river, and hates to leave Idaho's boundaries.

It is a rare river that leaves most of its water in its home of origin.
The Snake leaves most of her water in the same place she came from. The Snake is, and has always been, a hard-working river for us once she was tamed.
When she was still wild, she was formidable.

Old 04-04-2021, 12:24 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,775,802 times
The Snake is indeed a slimy, mysterious river. In my current home it gives up at the confluence of the Columbia at around Burbank,WA. I think the natives named it appropriately.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:08 PM

5,575 posts, read 4,933,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yes, it does. The Snake does some marvelous things snaking around from the southeast to the northwest and then back to the central west once more as it finally joins the Columbia. She's Idaho's river, and hates to leave Idaho's boundaries.

It is a rare river that leaves most of its water in its home of origin.
The Snake leaves most of her water in the same place she came from. The Snake is, and has always been, a hard-working river for us once she was tamed.
When she was still wild, she was formidable.
Good fishing in Snake river too?

Old 04-06-2021, 06:40 PM

7,354 posts, read 12,590,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The Snake is indeed a slimy, mysterious river. In my current home it gives up at the confluence of the Columbia at around Burbank,WA. I think the natives named it appropriately.

One of the grandest sights to behold--the confluence of the Snake and the Columbia. The power of the waters is overwhelming. I think the last word I'd choose would be "slimy." Besides, snakes aren't slimy, they're hot and dry. Eels are slimy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho